Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impressive separation with my MXS

Flbchbm

I was at a local park the other day with my MXS set on High Trash program, sensitivity 6, discriminate everything below 61, reject volume 20, threshold 00, tracking on, 4 tone and the Detech 7" coil (awesome coil!) with the idea of just sniping copper pennies and above. Got a good repeatable quarter signal 84 -88 range in one sweep orientation but lost in other sweep orientations, thus discriminated targets in the hole with the quarter signal. Started digging and found a treble hook laying on its side at about 4 inches in the center of the hole. At 5 inches I found a small lead sinker at 3:00 to the edge of the hole. At 7 inches at 8:00, 2 inches from the center of the hole I found a clad quarter. The hole was about 6 inches in diameter. So, the Sport saw the quarter 3 inches below a treble hook that was about the same size as the quarter and only slightly to the side of the hook. Not bad! This detector iwas updated early last summer, which means it does not have the latest update. Really liking this detector for trashy park hunting. Can't wait to see what the new update does.

If I recall correctly there weren't any firmware updates after March of last year. Just an FYI!

Oh! Sorry, I was under the impression there was an update in 2017. My bad....

If you have modulated audio you have the latest update. The mxs has some great separation that gets overlooked by it's detractors who point out it's initial release. If they grabbed one of the newest models/updates I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows!

Audio modulation is only in last inch or so of detection range, which was why I was thinking I did not have the latest. Saw a recent post saying how the modulation was great on the latest update. Guess I will have to call White to see if mine has the latest update.

Agreed, the separation is really good. Have dug up many coins that were in holes with trash but this instance was in moist soil that was easy to determine where everything was in relation to each other. Think I may order the 950 coil and see how it does. I bought this detector used when everybody else was down on it on a gut feeling that it would be good once it was fixed. Think my gut was right.

iqwozpoom said:
If you have modulated audio you have the latest update. The mxs has some great separation that gets overlooked by it's detractors who point out it's initial release. If they grabbed one of the newest models/updates I'm sure it would raise some eyebrows!

How do you KNOW if you are getting an updated one?

A year and a half after its release and people are still wondering if they have the updated version? No wonder you see so many of these for sale on numerous classified sites. How long is this fiasco going to go on?

"Well done! good tests. That 7" must be a cracker on it? I advised White's back in 2016 to develop a small coil and they have so I'm glad I had chimed in!
But, I recommended a DD I think and they're making a CC? I believe??"

doc holiday232 said:
iqwozpoom said:
How do you KNOW if you are getting an updated one?

Any serial number that starts with 6095 or later and has a smile face :biggrin: after the serial number has the latest updates.

Where did the information about the serial number and smiley face come from? Did someone just pick a random number and who is that someone? This fiasco started with its interduction way back last year and got pretty bad with all the outrageous claims of how it could outclass other detectors, firmware upgrades one after another. Videos that were of no instructional value(quarter in the banana), dropping it on the pavement. A person is rolling the dice if they buy one of these units, especially a used one. The outfit that makes these detectors is in the business to make money, they could tell you anything about serial numbers and smiley faces to make you think everything is taken care of. Yes, I know a lot of this has been gone over time and time again on different forums, But here is a person still wondering if he has a updated unit in May of 2017 and the thing has been out almost a year and a half.

I bought an MXS, and it has been fantastic with the updates. I simply sent it in for free and had it back with any/all updates very quickly. I would rather send it in and have a great detector than complain :) Pretty simple process really. Obviously USB updates would be easier...but the MXS does not have that feature....and USB updates were not a deal killer in my situation.

geekfamily said:
I bought an MXS, and it has been fantastic with the updates. I simply sent it in for free and had it back with any/all updates very quickly. I would rather send it in and have a great detector than complain :) Pretty simple process really. Obviously USB upd
ates would be easier...but the MXS does not have that feature....and USB updates were not a deal killer in my situation.

Do you REALLY want to buy a NEW detector and have to send it back to make sure you have a correct one??

geekfamily said:
I bought an MXS, and it has been fantastic with the updates. I simply sent it in for free and had it back with any/all updates very quickly. I would rather send it in and have a great detector than complain :) Pretty simple process really. Obviously USB updates would be easier...but the MXS does not have that feature....and USB updates were not a deal killer in my situation.

Sorry about having to send it in, at least White's took care of it. The main thing is that you have a great machine that finds great stuff.

Admittedly the roll out was not as smooth as it should have been, but what we ended up with is a very capable machine that consistently outperforms the competition. Maybe a lot of that is the types of users it attracts - people who spend a lot of time detecting and have the patience to dig up what others have left behind.

I would guess that a lot of the "complainers" do not own an MX Sport. Those of us who are lucky enough to own that particular machine have a great antidote to grumpiness. We just grab the detector, take a drive, and find stuff! Could not ask for a better therapy session than a day full of beeps and digging...

Brownie said:
Where did the information about the serial number and smiley face come from? Did someone just pick a random number and who is that someone?

I got this information on another forum site from someone who talked to Whites directly. I then went and checked my MX sport that I bought the middle of September that my dealer assured me had every update and sure enough it had a later starting serial number than 6095 and it had a smiley face at the end of the number.

According to Whites all units with a serial number starting with 6095 or later have all the latest firmware and screen updates. The smiley face was also added so the factory workers could tell at a glance if the unit had all the latest updates.

Speaking of separation - has everyone seen this MX Sport video from White's?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodnVkv4Gh0

GoldChaser said:
Speaking of separation - has everyone seen this MX Sport video from White's?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodnVkv4Gh0

Hey I know that guy!

I spoke to Whites service and they confirm that the smiley face was their way of showing that the MX Sport had an update to their current latest software. (until the next update) Look inside the battery compartment and when you see the serial number their should be a smile stamped on it.
Jess

Thanks for that clarification, Mrmetaldetector. Mine does not have a smiley face. Guess I must have just missed the latest update.