Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

In a slump

afieldsne

After what I'd call a "hot" streak for me, things have come to a screeching halt. The mosquitos are really thick, I'm running out of places to hunt and to top it all off, the weather is great.. I'm not going to give up and I'll just have to spray down better, do more research as to where to hunt and keep going.

I know what you're thinking..... who is this whiner.

Ok, I'm done.

I feel your pain, we all go through these slumps, I was also on a hot streak with nice finds every hunt for about 2 months, I recently crashed & started a new slump that sometimes lasts for a month or 2.

Welcome to the Club. I haven't seen a silver coin in over two months. Only found three gold rings since March. But I keep going and going and going. Lately I have not even found enough clad to pay for the gasoline that I burn getting to my spots. BUT the next swing of the coil could change our luck.

I knew I spouted off for a reason. Thanks for the pep talk, I needed that.

Shoot we all get slumps.......... Just keep digging and remember. It's a "Hobby"........
............ sometimes we all have to just enjoy the detecting..without the great rewards.............:cry:

PS : ya gotta do the detecting happy dance for luck.... [attachment 299471 happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif]

The only times i've had bad detecting days is when i come home with ticks or chigger bites instead of keepers.
Like Elton said detecting is a hobby with occassional rewards. Those who consider it a sport only to seek treasures everytime out are bound to be slump'd.
Enjoy getting out to detect whether you find keepers or not.

Even professional baseball players don't hit home runs every single game yet they keep going and trying.

Slumps are good in a way...it forces a guy to sit and re-evaluate the situation...even try a different format to our sport...example: lets say a park silver hunter is in a slump, may get up enough motivation to try door knocking, or creek bed hunting, or something out of his normal routine...something really creative and opens up a new world of happiness...heck, depending upon location, he may decide to give a completely different subset of our sport a go...inland jewelry, clad, water, snow, relics, nuggets, whatever...I know a few of us re-evaluate during the winter, and research some alternative method or gear based upon our locations.

Breaking a slump requires a guy to get angry, motivated, and focused, and think outside the box...which is what opens up a world of fun hunting once again that you would otherwise never have attempted...great post, afieldsne! We all deal with it in our own way, but we ALL deal with it!.:thumbup:
Mud

Baseball players who get a hit 3 out of 10 times at bat are considered to be Excellent Hitters. If I found a silver coin that often I would think that it had become too easy.

Slumps are good ..they force you to re-evaluate your approach to your old sites,or your research for New ones.Sometimes I also change up what machine Im using .If the sites Im left with are full of deep targets I bust out the Deep search gear.If im left with Iron/nail soaked sites I get out the lighting fast unit with small coils and have at it again.Sometimes I look for new sources for maps and info on the history of an area .In the process of trying new things I usually end up finding something.And I always end up learning something .So a good slump can really improve your game ,just depends how you deal with it.Good luck brotha! Keep on Diggin!

Right now I'm in a bad slump too. I kinda thought it was only me. Lots of good helpful info in this post. Gotta think outside the box to get going again. My old places are toast anymore. About a month ago I tried the sand bars at the river where the water is shallow, my first time there and it seemed like virgin territory at that particular spot. And it seems I was right. I found my first silver bust dime, 1820 and very well worn, and two King George pennies all close together in a small area of the sand bars where maybe no one ever detected before. I went back several more times during low tide but found only modern coins that were deep in the sand bars, plus lots of junk. There was an old mill there somewhere but I never found any foundation.

Every detectorist goes through 'slumps' like this,my worst slump period is when all your best permissions are under crop,so finds dry up and you then end up searching on pasture,woods infact it can get that desperate sometimes i end up hanging my detector up for a few weeks.

Then i wait till the old combines come out again and cut the barley and wheat,we use to have a reasonable amount of time before the land was ploughed and rolled again for the next crop,trouble is the time duaration between crops is getting narrower and narrower,on some farms we are finding that they could be seeded again within 7-10 days,which of course gives you a very small time duration before those fields are out of bounds again.

So i dont loose interest i even do river detecting and also magnet fishing off local bridges this keep my detecting of a fashion.

Its soul destroying when you start loosing interest because of a slump,change tactics,try new settings that type of thing could possibly help.

Good luck and hope you start finding silver again.