Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Incorrectly Mapped School House Gives Up Silver And Indians

miserman

Today I drove to an old 1870's one room school house location that I found by researching an old map of the area. Upon arrival at the mapped site, I stopped to get permission from the owner. I was then advised by him that the school was actually located about 3/4 mile farther down the road than what was shown on the map. I drove on down to the location which was a corn field at the intersection of two roads. I didn't have to walk very far into the field before I started seeing red brick and broken pieces of glass. I had the Nel Tornado coil on the F75 and started hunting in All Metal Mode to get a good idea of the type of targets in the area. The first target I dug was a loud 68 reading and was a flattened piece of copper with a square nail size hole in it. Moving on I hit a target that seemed to be deeper and was showing a 55-57 reading which turned out to be an Indian Head at 7 inches. The Nel coil seemed to be having trouble ground balancing in the fertilized soil so I stopped and put on the stock 11 inch coil. The signals were then more crisp and I continued to dig 8 Indians Heads and 3 Wheats that were from 3" to 8" and were giving a wide range of readings from 71 all the way down to 48. The 1917-S Mercury Dime gave a decent 73 number and was about 5 inches. The "Fatty" Indian didn't fare very well in the soil and does not have a visible date but does show enough detail to identify it as an Indian head. The oldest coin found was the "fatty" Indian and the newest was a 1919 Wheat. The soil had moisture but was by no means muddy and last years corn crop was mostly chaff which along with the mid 60's temperature made conditions nearly perfect. If I hadn't been directed to the correct location, the finds would not have been possible today.....thanks for looking.

Attachments

• D001BD01-4A32-4B7D-9B50-DE92E6B07C40.jpeg
    D001BD01-4A32-4B7D-9B50-DE92E6B07C40.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • 05893377-AEA1-4580-988E-4221DF100E73.jpeg
    05893377-AEA1-4580-988E-4221DF100E73.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Fantastic research and finds!!

Very nice work. I love that knife. The heavy rust gives it a "carved out of wood" appearance.