Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

INDIAN GOLD COIN-ONE OF MY DREAM COINS

Maxwedge

Awhile back Iwas driving through a town, going to see some friends. I cut through town off of the main highway, to see if anything had changed. I drove by a lot that used to have a very old house, but it had been torn down and the dirt was all torn up around where the house used to be. I called my hunting buddy that night and told him the next Sunday when I was off, I had a place to hunt. I work 12 hrs a night,. every other weekend. Found the owner next door and he said go for it. Sunday comes, and I walk around the area and no surface coins. I usually find something on top. I thought that was weird.We start hunting, and about an hour later, my friend comes over and hands me a perfect 1918s mercury dime in perfect condition. I was using another detector that day, thinking I needed to get more used to it, and I had lost my charger for the GT.We hunted till about 1: 00 when it got too hot. My friend found one old wheat, no date, and I found 3 old copper lincoln memorials. I'm probably to blame with the other detector not finding much. I'ts popular. I knew there had to be more old stuff there, so I told my friend that I was going to rest and come back that evening with new double a's in the GT. He said he wouldn't be back that day. I came back with the s-5 on it and found 4 wheats under the house where we had both been. 2 were weird noises that I had to wiggle up to 176 and the other two were solid 177's. 1919s and 34p nice shape, other 2 toast-soaking. Next time off, found a 26d Indian head nickle in very fine shape. Next time off for another 1.5 hrs. nothing. Last Sunday we went again and I hit a 160 on the DTI meter and S-1 said it was close. Took digger and up came a board with this bright object on top. I moved my eyes closer and saw the Indian and just stared at it for awhile. This coin has always been my favorite, but I never dreamed I would find one. It's in great shape. My friend found one more wheat that day-soaking now.
Now for the problem with my GT It nulls over this whole place. When it does this, I fiind nothing deeper than surface money. I go slowo, but find no coins below 3 inches. I know what slow is. Ive been to many places with iron and find nothing but surface money. Any ideas. Thanks-Mark

Now that is a find of a lifetime :super: welcome to the Gold coin club not many people find a gold coin , 160 on the meter sound,s prefect for that lite gold ring,s always show up a 160 on my GT . Great find .As far as the nulling it sound,s like there is nail,s all over the place being there used to be a house there like you said go slow and use your small coil the GT should seperate the iron from the goodies . Jim

WOW! Great find! I can only dream of finding one with my detector. My brother and I found the same coin in our Grandmother's attic when we were young and went exploring. HH. Matt

Excellent find, congrats. Would be a dream come true to find any gold coin. That one is a beautiful coin.

That's just amazing! A dream coin for sure! A gold coin is still on my wish list. I just checked my compilation ID chart and the $2.50 gold piece is said to read from 160 to 164, so appears the chart is right on with your reading of 160. Wondering...Which noise band were you in? 1 or 2? Probably 2, because band 1 might have made it read like 164 or so maybe. I was just hunting in band 1 on the beach yesterday, which I never use band 1, and found nickels read 149. Highest I ever saw for them, because band 2 is usually around 143 to 146 for them.

Tell me, did it have a nice smooth, warm, soft, "robust", "quality" sound to it? I bet it did, because usually gold rings and other round objects like coins or buttons will have that kind of traits to the tone.

I'm linking your thread to my ID chart because you are the first person I know of who has dug an actual $2.50 gold piece and saw a VDI # before digging, so that kind of confirms to look for a 160 # for those. Some say the VDI can be a bit off on air tested targets versus those scanned. While I haven't seen that myself, thanks to the awesome ability of the Sovereign to ID correctly even at depth in the worst of ground conditions, it's always better to have an actual in ground confirmed # to go by.

Again, awesome find! Did you look it up in a coin book to just the grade/price?

Forgot about your nulling issue. Read my latest post about how I found nulling was less in band 1 at a particular beach for some odd reason with no EMI present. It liked the sand better.

But for other issues with nulling...Don't be afraid to turn down the sensitivity until you get a threshold most of the time. You'll still be amazed by the depth even at say 4 or 5PM on the dial, and if that still ain't helping don't be afraid to try AUTO, because in some really bad ground even about the lowest manual wouldn't help, but Auto was smooth as silk.

Since you already said you know what "slow" is, then I doubt you are swinging too fast, but just the same before lowering sensitivity trying slowing down even more.

Then there is coil choice...If you watched my latest video the Sun Ray S-5 was nulling out on nail masking badly while the 10" Tornado, 12x10, and 13" Ultimate had no issues at all. And, while they could see a dime thru to mineralized red bricks, the S-5 was having big time trouble even seeing it thru 1 brick. That tells me it might not handle mineralized ground as well and cause nulling. Really shocked by how that coild performed on those tests, and that's why I'm trading it off for a 8" Tornado now as my trash coil.

Just the same, while the S-5 will separate length wise much better than larger coils of course, you can largely get around that issue by hunting the site from two different 90 degree angles with a larger coil to eliminate some possibly length wise masking issues.

I wonder 5 years from now if you will remember where you found it? LOL. I've never found one but I can dream about it.

Mark,

That is the one item I need to complete the goal of every detectorist, the 3 things when I started back in 1973 was a silver dollar, a diamond ring and a gold coin, once that is done you can retire with the status of a true treasure hunter. I got 3 silver dollars and 3 diamond ring with one that was a nice one and able to return it to the owner before she passed away.
Sure looks like my old GT demo has been good to you and I bet you are glad you got it and spent the time to know it.
Now on the nulling I would use a smaller coil with either a S-5 or a S-8 of Sun Rays and being you got to know your GT I find the S-8 will do the job for me well as it seem to me has a smaller hot band so it separates real good for me and have pulled some nice coins out of trash, the best was a Franklin half with a big rusty bolt on top of it. Then I would run auto sensitivity if it is nulling solid so it may not see the iron so bad and go into a deeper null before it can see the next item. Now if I was doing it I would go super slow so the threshold has a chance to come back to see the next target which may only be a slight tone, but enough so you know where it is and then work the coil back and forth over just that small area where the target is and see if you can get the signal to improve, or trying to climb as these are the ones I am interested in. Once you get one of these signals you are interested in you can go to manual sensitivity and see if you can get a better signal on different settings of Manual sensitivity. Now if you speed up the swing just a little you will notice you will not get a signals at all as it will just be a null as it don't have the time to see the good target in with trash.

Good Luck Mark and I hope you find another one in that yard, but if you find more you can call me for help as I can use my gold coin before I am gone.:devil:

Rick

Critter

I was using it in band 2. The sound was nice and smooth, but not like some gold rings I've found. I looked on internet and I believe the coin will maybe be AU condition at280.00. Thanks for your info.HH-Mark

Hi Rick,

You've always helped and taught me so much. You are still giving me good info. My Gt I got from you is irreplaceable. I would probably had my coinsearch on there, but it started giving me trouble awhile back. I'll probably get a S-8 someday when I can afford one. This coin and my friends Mercury were both found 20 to 30 feet from the house where they had taken a front end loader pushing trash. If you were closer, Rick, I would certainly get you to come over. With your experience, you would probably show me what's really hidden there. I'm going to be looking really hard at this place though, for quite awhile. Thanks a lot-Mark

Just be persistent. I was digging every target. I've actually found big pulltabs at 161 on the meter before. Just lucky this time. HH-Mark

Maxwedge said:
Hi Rick,

You've always helped and taught me so much. You are still giving me good info. My Gt I got from you is irreplaceable. I would probably had my coinsearch on there, but it started giving me trouble awhile back. I'll probably get a S-8 someday when I can afford one. This coin and my friends Mercury were both found 20 to 30 feet from the house where they had taken a front end loader pushing trash. If you were closer, Rick, I would certainly get you to come over. With your experience, you would probably show me what's really hidden there. I'm going to be looking really hard at this place though, for quite awhile. Thanks a lot-Mark

Mark,been busy all day,just got on the computer,Excellent find! I'm sure you'll have great find's to come ,but this one will be hard to beat, congratulations.Thanks for sharing.Ron

wow that is a dream find! What a beautiful coin! I wish you many more. - Jim

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. Everybody on this forum has always been very helpful and had good info. Wish yall the best of finds. Mark

Great find, congratulations. I would be tempted to put the detector in all metal and at least work the most likely spot for a good target. Maybe there is so much iron that it's masking good targets????

Thanks James. Lots of automotive parts around this place. Carb parts, spark plugs, etc. Years ago when the house was still there, farm equipment was always around the property. I've found some larger iron junk and move it and look under. Still big signals under ground that I haven't dug up yet. Maybe pieces of pipe or who knows. I may consider using all metal A long time ago, I pinpointed in all metal, but like using the toe of the coil, with normal discrimination and sending the S-1 in after a target. I'm afraid all metal would go crazy, and I'm sure not used to hunting in all metal, but may try it some later. I'll also use the 10" tonado too, because thia is a large area. Thanks for the info and good hunting. Mark