Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Indian Head, V nickel, and wheats

bbqman

I decided to get out of the house for a couple hours and do a little experimenting with the SE. I went back to an old house that produced a couple of mercs and some nice old wheats. I picked a half section of the front yard, bordered by the walk up to the house and the side walk, an area no bigger than 30X30 feet and went real slow from all 4 directions. I was amazed to pull out 3 1919 wheats, a 1903 IH and a 1901 V nickel. I had covered this same ground for 2 days last weekend and these signals were not iffy, all very strong, save for the nickel, which was bouncing all over the place. The nickel turned out to be about 7 inches on edge, so, lesson learned today! No silvers, but these old coins are just as good to me. This is only my third V ever and this makes the 3rd IH I`ve found with the SE. I had found others in the past, but they are relatively rare in the late 19th century established town where I do most of my hunting. I know you guys have heard how bad the drought is down here in Texas and some of the clods that I had to break to get to these coins were a piece of work. LOL There are just times that a metal detector is just hotter than at other times. My experience in the past made me feel similar, as I said I worked the heck out of this spot last weekend.Another thing I`m running into and I love my Sunray x-1 probe, but I keep leaving that switch on probe and spend 5 minutes swinging the coil in that mode. LOL I`ll get better about it , I hope ! Happy Easter to all ! Pray for rain for us please, Firefighters are dying down here!

Hey Randy,

That's AWESOME! You know what else is funny, I have an old 1930 homesite that I recently obtained unlimited permission to hunt. It's abandoned and secluded, so I can go there any time of day and night. Problem is, the ground around this place is a TRASH HEAP. But, I decided just yesterday on a strategy where I will block off small portions of the yard, and hunt them from all directions, pulling EVERY piece of metal out of the ground so as to remove all the "masking" issues, and see how it goes. It sounds like you took a very similar approach, and it paid off big-time for you! Gives me even more motivation to follow through with my plan. Excellent hunting!

P.S. If you are in for a road trip, and you wanna come up here and help me hammer this place, you are more than welcome! :) Though, it seems like you have plenty of spots down your way to keep you busy for a long time! :)

P.P.S. We are still getting missed by the rain...it's close by -- for both of us, but no luck yet. We gotta get this ground soft, and let our detectors see a little deeper! :) Not to mention the wildfire issues :(

Happy Easter to you also, and to everyone on the forum for whom this day holds importance...

Steve

Nice finds! I do the same thing with my SunRay probe too and I have to retrace my steps whenever I accidentally leave it on. I hope you get some rain real soon (we're getting too much here in Ohio). HH