Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Indians And Seated At Church Ruins Hitching Post

miserman

With the recent ground thaw I was able to take the F75 out again today. Thru research over the winter I located the remains of a mid 1800's church near an old cemetery. Upon arrival at the site I headed to the only large tree in the area that was down wind of the ruins. Years ago when there was only horse and buggy for transportation, these down wind "hitching post" trees is where they usually tied up their buggys and their horses. With the F75 in All Metal Mode the first target I decided to dig was a bouncy 57-63 reading with a decent amount of volume. After cutting the plug I found the 1884 Indian Head at about 6" at the bottom of the hole. About a foot away and at the same depth I found the 1892 Indian Head with a nice full Liberty on the head band. Several more Indians were found in the weeded area around the tree along with the iron hitching post ring and the brass rein guide. The Wheat Cent is dated 1911 and has very little wear and seems to be a good clue of when the site was last used. The last coin I found was the 1877-CC Seated Liberty Dime. It was in partially frozen ground at about 7 inches. The CC mintmarks are somewhat scarce and I was grateful to find it. Most of the church remains were covered with fill dirt and this small area was the only part of the site that had coins. The research made the difference today and with the low vegetation around the site, I feel fortunate to have made these finds........Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• B8D6E6AB-3685-4640-A22B-1E67302F234F.jpeg
    B8D6E6AB-3685-4640-A22B-1E67302F234F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 218
  • 644D61A9-A976-4FEE-BE36-5AA679D39044.jpeg
    644D61A9-A976-4FEE-BE36-5AA679D39044.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
  • DD12A43E-0AA4-4C01-B201-ACE811A03F2C.jpeg
    DD12A43E-0AA4-4C01-B201-ACE811A03F2C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 198
  • D848C219-5B63-41AF-8320-4C71ED1CCB08.jpeg
    D848C219-5B63-41AF-8320-4C71ED1CCB08.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 230
Last edited:
WOW! Miserman that's some fantastic finds, knowing how you like to get every last old coin out of an area I'd bet a nickel you'll get back in there gridding off the area plus use your scrubbing the coil system.
That liberty seated dime is a killer find, still on my bucket list.

Wow!! Got to believe you were not feeling the frozen ground in your toes when those started popping up! So the IH were showing up in the tab-zinc range???? Oldest penny I’ve dug so far was 1909 (standard) so this is interesting.....

Wow!! Got to believe you were not feeling the frozen ground in your toes when those started popping up! So the IH were showing up in the tab-zinc range???? Oldest penny I’ve dug so far was 1909 (standard) so this is interesting.....
Thanks for commenting Ronstar. Most of the Indian Heads I find register somewhere between 53 and 67. The readings are usually real bouncy and jump as much as 5 digits while swinging over them. 57-61 for example. The signal on them is usually a soft low volume sound with depth readings of 7-9 inches. If it is a loud 53-67 reading at 4 inches or less these are mostly pull tabs and other types of trash. I think this is what Fisher had in mind with the FOUR DIFFERENT AUDIO TONES that give a fourth medium-high tone when running in Discrimination.

Good point! I run 3H most of the time just so I dont miss a nickel tone. The only IH I have was not a detector find, rather in change from a big box store here! Teller said it was a foreign coin but it would spend the same as a real penny...,.

Super day of detecting!!!

Thanks for the nice comments from everyone. An update on the hitching post tree finds. I also found an item around the tree that I couldn't identify yesterday. Because the tree was near a gravel road I thought it might be a reflector of some kind. After cleaning it up last night I could see that under the glass it said: Nancy Hanks Record 2:04. I did some research and discovered that it is a horse bridal attachment that was issued in 1892 to commemorate the trotter horse Nancy Hanks record mile that year. The find is the one on the left and the right photo is one that I found on line. A nice surprise that fit with the time frame of the coins...Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 76D74C9C-65B2-48F2-B7FC-F7E1BE8FED9D.jpeg
    76D74C9C-65B2-48F2-B7FC-F7E1BE8FED9D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
  • D35CEC59-E0E6-4540-9D7C-53BC397A6B2A_4_5005_c.jpeg
    D35CEC59-E0E6-4540-9D7C-53BC397A6B2A_4_5005_c.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 155
Very nice finds throughout. Great history uncovered. I'm sure there's more. I'd fit the smallest round coil on the F75 and try to rummage through all that thick brush in the 3rd photo. Sometimes swinging does not work in areas like this but small forward-backwards movement will work just as well.