Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium 101 (session-5)

Cupajo

Hi Gang,

I've just spent the last several days sealing cracks in my 8.5" mono loop. I used marine epoxy for the major damage (Another lesson-buy Loctite Marine Epoxy at Lowes etc. for less than $4.00-not West marine Epoxy $12+ for the same amount) Works pretty well altho I've been hearing truck bed lining spray works better without so much fuss. My next lesson? I've used tool handle rubber coating in the past with good results (follow the directions) needed to use many coats! Also I found a post that Garrett voids warranties where Epoxy is used!!! (May only be for coil covers???)

After 25-30 hours of use in the most abrasive gravel/cobblestone bottom,I found cracks in the bottom of my loop!! I was checking it when I remembered to,but the last 4.5 hour hunting trip was the clincher. It seems to still work OK, but until I get er sealed and back in the water I won't know for sure. I was expecting some wear and was monitoring that, but I didn't know if the bottom was a solid covering or a plate sealing a hollow cavity. It would seem to be a plate over a hollow cavity. The wire must be sealed in the cavity tho, because I still got what seemed to be good signals even tho the bottom was badly cracked. I dried it as well as could and proceeded to seal the cracks as explained.

Wish me luck. In a few days the water should settle down and I can check er out.

Another lesson of many, I'm sure!!!

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it!!!)

Re: Infinium 101 Lesson 5
Posted by: Black Davy [ Send a PM ]
Date: June 05, 2008 09:12AM Registered: 2 years ago

You are probably better off applying the epoxy and not worrying about the warranty under these circumstances, if the cracks are that visible any manufacture might say it was excessive use. I am not saying you are abusing your stuff! if the surface is as rocky as you say it is tough to detect without wear. Did you take any before and after shots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aarrrgghh!

Take what you can, Give up nothing!
Black Davy Condmach
Garrett Infinium LS
Minelab Quattro
Garrett GTAx 550
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Compass Yukon 94-IB

Infinium 101 Lesson 5 (Part - 2)
Posted by: Cupajo [ Send a PM ]
Date: June 05, 2008 08:53PM Registered: 6 weeks ago

Hi Gang,

It's funny how these things work out some times. I just wrote a long rambling post to let you know that it seems my 81/2" mono is OK!!! The cracks I found, after being dried out and sealed with epoxy and a rubber coating, seem to be OK!!! I'm not sure yet if the sensitivity is as good. I had not been checking for damage as often as I had intended to and found there were cracks after 20+ hours of scrubbing the loop over the rocky bottom of our local beach. Somehow I lost the post!!! Probably just as well!! The crux of the situation is that I was able to recover 3-nickles HI/LO, 2-quarters LO/HI, 3- Pennies LO/HI, 3 large lead fishing sinkers Lo/Hi, and various brass junk jewelry LO/HI & HI/LO. I dig it all including nudging a steel rod 11/2 ' long (covered in mineral coating and a possible threat to bathers) into my scoop!!! LO/HI. A couple or three pieces of wire or perhaps nails LO/HI round out the tally.

I was under the impression that the loop was sealed with a substantial coating of epoxy and it seems that the loop is only protected by a thin plastic cover. I was totally surprised to find the cracks. It seems, that there is some kind of protective seal covering the wire loop or my efforts at drying out the loop and sealing etc would not have worked!! Way to go Garrett!!!

Future hunting will verify my conclusion that the loop has survived my inattention and remedial ministrations!!! (I HOPE!!!!)

GL&HH Friends,

Cupajo

(No-one gets 'em all, but I'm workin on it !!!)