Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium And A Great Day At The Beach

Fishers Ghost

I went to Batemans bay ( Australian South Coast)on Sat with the Infinium and detcted 6 hours straight didn't even have lunch or a drink, so I must have been enjoying myself.
The water was flat with just small ripple waves and a nice low tide. Managed to find 2 rings (sil), one nice gold and solid opal pendant, several decimal coins and one of the 20 cents was a good 15 inches plus down in hard packed wet black sand that was underlying the surface 4 inches or so of the normal sand. The smaller of the rings weighs 1.07gm and produced a LO/Hi tone in Normal and HI/LO in Rev disc,This ring was roughly 8 inches deep in the wet black sand. the larger ring which is 6.2gm produced a Lo/HI tone in both Normal and rev disc, this ring was approx one foot deep in black sand... The coin was embeded vertically in the black sand which made guestimating the depth fairly accurate. I was in fact a bit suprised at the reasonably strong signal that the Infinium produced for this coin concidering the fact that the coin was vertical to the coil and quite deep. The opal pendant was approx 8 to 10 inches down and gave a quiet HI/LO in Normal when first detected and a HI/LO in rev disc when the coil was approx 6 inches away from it prior to actually uncovering the target.Also found the usual run of sinkers and one spinner.
As well as, a toy motor bike that was deep and encrusted with very hard packed black sandy/gritty material to the extent that it was actually encased in rock. I didn't know that it was a bike until at home when I was cleaning everything. It is suprising to me that the bike could have become so completely encased after what could not have been a particularly long time and the other odd thing is that the bike does not appear to be corroded where I can see parts through the black rocky material, even the paint work seems good. if I get an opportunity I will post a couple of pics later.
It was a good day and great to get out of the house for a while. It was also good to see just how well the Infinium punches through wet hard packed black sand. That 20 cent coin was in 12 inches of black sand, the rest overlying that was normal beach sand.

Cheers,

High grade silver tends to be LO/Hi but because the ring was quite small the tone changed to HI/LO in Rev Disc. Large rings that are silver .925 or better will be LO/HI in both modes.
It is a bit like small yellow gold items of high purity that will be HI/LO in both modes and Large yellow gold items are more often LO/HI in normal and HI/LO in Rev Disc.
The one common factor with gold is that it will always be HI/LO in Rev disc at a reduced signal level to that in normal.
This will change if the ring has been plated in some way such as Rhodium Plate which is fairly common these days. How these types of plated items respond is something you have to find out for yourself I also have found large silver rings stamped 925 that are HI/LO in both modes and this does confuse me a bit and I have to assume that the rings may not be as stamped.

Infiniumexplorer Excalibur said:
Very interesting that both rings produced a low tone in normal. What coil were you using?

Using the 10 x 14 mono.

I grabbed a couple of handfulls of some of the silver rings Marked either .925 or stirling.that I have found and checked their response with the Infinium and 10 x 14 mono coil.
Qty 14 ranging between 2.15gm and 12.22gm. Total Average wt =6.55gm. produced LO/HI in normal and LO/HI in Rev Disc
Qty 32 Ranging between 1.09gm and 6.85 gm. Total average wt = 2.65gm produced LO/HI in normal and HI/LO in Rev Disc
Qty 17 Ranging between 0.99gm and 7.13gm. Total average wt = 3.44gm produced HI/LO in normal and HI/LO in Rev Disc

I have not been able to draw any conclusion from this other than Silver will never produce a HI/LO. in Normal and LO/HI in Rev Disc.
and that thin light sil rings are likely to be LO/HI....HI/LO and that rings above approx 5 gm will likely produce a LO/HI....LO/HI tone

In each group of rings there were several ranging 2 or 2.5 times heavier than the Maximum average and 2 or 2.5 times lower than the maximum average wts. Thefore using the Rev Disc will generally not help you much in working out if you have detected a sil target or not, but it does let you say that your target Might be silver and that if the Rev disc tone is HI/LO at a significantly lower level than in the normal mode then your target might be gold and it might not. Also that if your tones are LO/HI...LO/HI then your target is not gold..

Hmmm, I think I have a headache now.

I agree with the Highs and lows on gold, I got the same results. I'm surprised that the gold pendant was only a faint signal at around 8-10 inches. How big is the pendant and were you deep in the water?

Infiniumexplorer Excalibur said:
I agree with the Highs and lows on gold, I got the same results. I'm surprised that the gold pendant was only a faint signal at around 8-10 inches. How big is the pendant and were you deep in the water?

The total weight of the pendant is 1.7 gm.At a rough guess I would say the weight of the metal is a tad over 1gm.
The setting is approx 9.7 x 12 mm and I believe is 18ct gold.
The opal is an 9 x 7mm cab.
It was found in wet black sand at approx 8 to 10 inches just above the low water line.
The tones were quiet but clear. On a scale of 0 to 10 the tones would be around 4 if 10 is very loud