Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium coil question

WP-Excursion

It's my first season with my infinium ls and ive been to a few popular places 1-2 day trips 5-6 hours a day around...no luck with any small nuggets.

I bought 5 small gold nuggets under .71 grams and my DD coil does not detect it even right on the surface... is it preferred to drop down sizes in coils like a GARRETT 3"X7" INFINIUM LS coil for smaller nuggets? please inform me on this thank you!

The 10 x 14 DD is not a good coil for small gold. The coil has areas of uneven sensitivity and gives very erratic response to nuggs of 1.0g and smaller.
The 10 x 14 mono and 8 inch mono are far better coils for small gold while at the same time can detect deep large nuggs.
The 5 x 10 DD and 3 x 7 DD are easier to use and much less effected by EMI and ground mineralisation than the big coils but lack the depth capability of these coils.
Everybody tells me that my Infinium is more sensitive to small gold than most other Infinium, so taking that in to account your detector should at the very least respond to your 0.71 nugg at approx one inch from the surface of the DD 10 x 14. My Inf will go 5 inches on a randomly selected 0.6g nugg picked out of my nugg collection.
The 3 x 7 should give similar results to the 5 x 10 but with a slightly less depth of detection. The signal will be sharper and clearer. Use the big DD for your deep large nugget hunting but go with the 10 x 14 mono and 8 inch mono for smoother more even responses at all depths.
The Infinium is not suitable for finding light weight gold chains and the lightest chain I have detected is a 7.5g 9kt 50cm. (Very weak signal) at approx 2 inches.So at the beach you will miss a lot of chains.

Things to remember in ref to the Infinium:

Check for and eliminate as best possible all EMI. Do this with the coil in the detecting position and facing the direction of strongest EMI. Be sure that the Disc is at zero and the mode in LOCK. while adjusting for EMI.Then select Tracking , either fast or slow and adjust the GB with Disc set to Zero and threshold at a comfortable level.get the best possible ground balance.
If the GB cannot be made to be perfect then set in a small amount of Discrimination up to no more than 3. Leave it in this position while searching. This will cancel out any GB mismatch caused by alkali salts in the ground and rocks.. Return the mode to Lock and start searching.
Always remember to reset the Disc control to zero before attempting to re ground balance. and the recheck to see if you need to set in a bit of disc to totally smooth out any remaining ground noise.
Remember to rest the disc to zero after completing the EMI adjust
Always select Lock when adjusting for EMI.
Sweep the coil very slowly when searching. Use sweep speed of between 1 and 1.5 fps in order to get the best response from small targets near the surface and large deep targets.

Bench testing will teach you the best sweep speed to use for various size targets.........One thing is for sure with the Infiniium. If you sweep the detector like a motion VLF you will find a grand total of nothing.
At the beach while searching for ring and coins size items you will be able to speed up the sweep a bit and not loose much depth on these size items.

thanks alot for the info this helped me a bunch thanks!! going to order a new coil soon, what coil do you use for all around gold/silver and other mineral hunting?

The 8 inch mono is used most of the time for all hunting, it is a great coil Has good sensitivity, pinpoints accurately, handles most goldfield ground conditions you are ever likely to encounter. Ditto The 10 x 14 mono plus extra ground coverage and slightly better depth on large deep targets.I also use the 10 x 14 mono on beaches. The 5 x 10 DD is a handy coil in the gold fields over the mullock heaps and searching river bedrock cracks..
When using the small DDs, slow your sweep speed to a crawl when looking for very tiny nuggs.
As far as the Big DD is concerned, this coil is more likely to make you hate the Infinium before you get a chance to discover the detectors true ability. Sure it will find big nuggets down deep but they are few and far between these days and the coil does not respond well to the smaller bits from 1 to sub gram. which can be found scattered through the diggings and tailing's.

Just some thoughts from my own exp with my Infinium.

WP
Try burying your small nugget just under the surface and check again for detection. PIs like buried targets and hate air tests.
Something about reading the soil response change. Works better that way for my Infinium.
Rich

What GG said + I seem to hear faint signals better when I turn the threshold up and readjust the volume to suit...

Cheers,

Tye

I didn't find any gold with my Infinium until I purchased a 10x14 mono coil. 20 min after I installed it the infinium paid be a .85 gram nugget the two more later that day. I also found a 6.29 gram nugget with it two weeks later. I almost gave up on the Infinium too! Garret should sell them with the mono coil!!

WP-Excursion said:
It's my first season with my infinium ls and ive been to a few popular places 1-2 day trips 5-6 hours a day around...no luck with any small nuggets.

I bought 5 small gold nuggets under .71 grams and my DD coil does not detect it even right on the surface... is it preferred to drop down sizes in coils like a GARRETT 3"X7" INFINIUM LS coil for smaller nuggets? please inform me on this thank you!

Infinium LS and stock 14x10" DD coil will detect a small gold chain (no clasps) better than the mono coils.............10x5"DD coil is even better on same chain.

14x10InfiniumDDCoilfinegoldchain.jpg

video is on Photo Bucket.

:ausflag:

HI Ivanll.
I cannot get a response from any of my coils to gold chains of similar size (larger in fact) as to what you are holding in that pic.
Strange realy because it will ping a 0.15 thin nugg at an inch or two but no go on a 8.45 ankle chain inc the clasp.

I can not get my coils to hit on a thin 9.55 gold 14K chain either. ????

I tried the.... 10X14 DD...10X14 MONO....8" MONO....

Mono coil is the way to go!!! My 8" will even pick up tiny pieces of wire. The small 5x10 DD is a keeper, the 10x14 DD is a wall onament......