Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium Difficulties

OZDigger

I have recently acquired an Infinium which is showing signs of a hard life around the headphone connectors. One set of headphones is missing a pin, on the other the headphone jack showing obvious wear and misalignment, the headphone socket on the box also showing signs of wear.

The machine itself is largely unusable due to erratic squealing and screaming followed by periods of silence. This appears to be related to movement of the headphone cable, particularly in the area of the jack.

I imagine I shall have to replace the headphones, my concern is I may have to replace the socket on the machine. Is this feasible and what are the headphone suggestions.

OZDigger said:
I have recently acquired an Infinium which is showing signs of a hard life around the headphone connectors. One set of headphones is missing a pin, on the other the headphone jack showing obvious wear and misalignment, the headphone socket on the box also showing signs of wear.

The machine itself is largely unusable due to erratic squealing and screaming followed by periods of silence. This appears to be related to movement of the headphone cable, particularly in the area of the jack.

I imagine I shall have to replace the headphones, my concern is I may have to replace the socket on the machine. Is this feasible and what are the headphone suggestions.

Contact Garrett Australia they are said to be the new service provider.
If their service is as good as Garrett USA, then you will be well looked after.......I did said "if".......... it is yet to be tested. :shrug:

Hard wire the waterproof headphone lead to the circuit and get rid of the plug. Check for holes in the cable.

One screw in the battery compartment holds the detector together.
The one on the white tab. Remove and lever off the top of the detector. All the wires connect to the board with plugs be carefull not to break any.

While your in the circuit board, cut the black wire from the coil plug to the earth on the circuit board. Its a mistake and causes the circuit to be up set when you touch the plug especially in sea water.

I would suggest hard wiring the coil cable as well and get rid of the coil connection plug.

Some of the surface mounted components on the board may have dry joints. Check by touching with a thin platic probe when the detector is turned on. Any component loose or a bad joint will cause the detector to false when touched. Carefully painting the joints with conductive paint may help then secure anything loose with dabs of silicone sealer etc.

Had these problems on my unit, once you solve the detector works fine.

regards John

OZDigger said:
Been dispatched, I will let you know the outcome.

I sincerely hope you have got your Infinium LS back after service/repair at Garrett Australia ? ? ?

cutting the black wire connected to the PCB, after sea water metal detector will work 'well? or will have 'problems of instability'?

Thanks, Carlo.

jpert is not on the forum anymore...wondering where he got this info that if the black wire is connected to ground you will get a false signal when the connector hits the water?

I have had this problem for YEARS...even sent it back to Garrett. I'm game to try anything. Any adverse affects after cutting the black wire?

If no answers...time to call Garrett.

Thanks

Back 3 years ago (2015) I cut the wire...Wish I had done that years ago. If only I had known.