Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium finds the small

au79

Ok, here is the small found with the Infinium 8 inch mono coil. I know this is not all that impressive but it was my goal to find the small.

[attachment 241756 thesmall.JPG]

I found this little flake on exposed bedrock while hunting along my secret brook. These little crumbs are just a whisper in a smooth running threshold. Ground balance is important here and must be conducted in this manner - when I get to the secret brook I look for a nicely deposited gravel bar with the material looking a uniform size. I then ground balance in the slow track setting. I set the coil on the bar and switch on the machine - I let it boot up and usually it is quiet within the first two or three up and down pumps of the coil and then silence. Now switch to lock. This is the best approach for hunting on exposed bedrock or bedrock with shallow overburden as the ground does not change much. If your machine is purring smoothly you will have to listen for the little whispers from crumbs in the cracks. There will be no dual tone or no single tone but rather a slight hint of change in the hum. This three grain crumb was about 1 inch down and under black sand. It will pay for you to have a good pinpointer to locate these little bits as pinpointing with the 8 on this small target is difficult if not impossible. Now, when I move into the stream bed where there are a variety of different sized rocks I stop and ground balance again. This time you will have to GB in fast track. I usually try to GB over an area with a variety of stone sizes. When done the GB process I leave the setting in fast track not lock. This is where you find quickly changing mineralization. There will be larger "hot rocks" and "cold rocks" with patches of mineralized ground in between equaling rapidly changing ground. This is where fast track will get the job done. Altho it is nearly impossible to get the Infinum to run perfectly quiet in this hunting mode and in these conditions it will be possible to learn the tones of the "hot" and "cold" rocks. A cold rock is a rock with absolutely nothing to interest the Finny but will give a single tone signal because of the abrupt change in the auto track feature. Listen and learn. I know most people hunt for the trophy nuggets in the deep but sometimes finding the small can lead to the big or many more small crumbs. Good luck hunting and I hope this gets someone some mellow yellow!

That's the way (I like it) :clapping: listen for the ripples in the threshold for the small ones the same goes for larger ones at the fringe of detection.

Whispers are also what we listen for when going for deep targets on wet beaches the 14x10"DD on deep fringe targets often only give a quiet whisper :wave: on coil movement in one direction.

It pays to listen carefully to the audio............a killer to the ripple of whispers is excessive loud threshold!

ivanll

I Concur with both Finnymen on the Threshold , so far - in the time I've spent behind Finny

[size=large]Play your didgeridoo, Blue
Play your didgeridoo
Ah, like, keep playin' 'til I shoot thru, Blue
Play your didgeridoo[/size] . . . . . . . Rolf

ivanll - thanks for adding that threshold volume note. I forgot that part. Important to have headphones with volume control to off-set threshold turned up volume -
K~D thanks again for the tune for my morning bean juice! :0)

I dont know Who's experienced This but here's one thing that i do or Avoid now. When Booting up the Finny from Cold ~ I Always warm it up in the Lock Position 1st. and here's Why. In Ariz. ,for about 3 days I booted the Finny up in the Slow track mode - I found after a couple of days the Battery beeps seemed bypassed Or after going to Locked mode I may or may not get beeps. I thought I'd go back to booting going over to lock before Anything else and just like a Chevy , It seemed to Fix itself : ) I think it tricks the Cicuitry if it's fired up in a Tracking mode screwing up the sequence. Now I Only start the Detector in going over 2 notches to Locked, then go from there. I dont like running the threshold too high , Are You guys saying that in the Surf You need the Gain/Volume seemingly increased due to Surf noise ? Thanks - Ken

K~D - I experience this lack of battery check beeps at times also. I do the same as you now - go right to lock. I think it is the switch not settling in quite the right spot to give proper battery check when stopping in slow. No big deal but nice to hear how much battery is left.....all the time. The volume gain is something I use when hunting small stuff. I always turn the Finny volume up to 8 then adjust headphone volume to comfort when hunting bedrock for crumbs. Also, if I am hunting and suspect I have a deep target i will turn up the Finny volume to get a better listen. This is a great advantage to have. Don't blow your ear drums out tho! :0)

[size=large]Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde
And that's it hangin' on the shed!!
Altogether now!
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down[/size]
. . . Rolf

Ken~Digs said:
[size=large]Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde
And that's it hangin' on the shed!!
Altogether now!
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down[/size]
. . . Rolf

Ken~Digs, Thanks for all the Rolf

Your Welcome diggin-d . My cousin Lori used to spin it on an old vintage 45rpm player bout 1964 & both of us were 6yrs old . I'd have her play it till we were bout 11 or 12. She'd also spin Alvin & the Chipmunks too. Her Dad (My Favorite Relative) Lives in Kingman ,Az. , Below Gold Basin and We stay there when we hunt gold Basin. Also , If You & Your Gal go to Youtube - He does it at the Prince Albert Hall & it's a super cool live performance. I'm glad it cued some fond Memories, it does with Me. Ken~Digs

Good find AU79...Those nuggets that are less than .3 grams are tough to hear, that little threshold warble is not to be ignored that ole' Ivan mentions throughout this forum on occasion...

Get some more!

Alan

Thanks for this post, I just had time to study it a little. It's interesting partly because you mention hot rocks and I had some trouble identifying a hot rock the other day with the Infinium which I had figured would easily handle most hot rocks. I had to check the rock with my MXT to be sure it was a hot rock. I have a lot to learn about the Infinium.

It's just a matter of time. The Finny is a great teacher! Hot rocks have their very own signature/tone. Just listen and learn from Finny.

right , right ~ Au weather looks good Next thur. here in BCC (warmer up by U 2) to listen to those Whispers & Sharps on Finny, How'z bout Thur we go look for the 'BIGS' ? maybe blm sign spot or Cory/Soap/Dike ? If not I'l go Soap, Watertower (up fr:house) or gulch below my Mailbox (cant run finny in last 2 mentioned :( what'cha say ~ more venturin' ? K~D

Ken~Digs - I'm still curious about soap. Would like to unlock/eliminate that area. Snow on the ground here this AM! I hope to get down to Soap before we get together again. At least see what a pan will do and maybe more. Cold for the next couple days so playing in the water/snow has me thinking frozen fingers for now. Thursday sounds good for soap or other choice like elephant nug country!

Gold fever's been replaced temporarily by . . . { {{COLD}} } Fever, but I think I got 'Schistic psycosis' (Yavapai Strain)

Well we do know of the 3oz'r (elephant to me) over by blm sign & south if wannatry

Ha! Good one Ken~Digs! and to think we have to keep going back to that schist! Only a couple more days of cold and then a long stretch of (warm) gold fever again! Jeesh! Had a hard frost last night. At least it didn't snow again!

[size=medium]Looks like good weather coming this weekend , except rain Wed :( Sent U an email bout Water hole between B-bee & Cleater and Bradshaws[/size]