Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium good for locating Meteorites?

3qtr

Here's my story so far...

I did some research and have found web sites that show all the meteorite falls thru the last 100 years or so. Every state is listed and dates of the falls. I checked out my own state and found that four counties close to me had three falls in the last 100 years. I checked out info on the falls from other sources, these falls were of the stoney type, not heavy iron. This makes finding this type as hard a finding a needle in a haystack. But while out looking for arrowheads I found a dark rock with thumbprinting (one of the clues) about two inches long. I checked all the meteorwrong pics and it did not match them, so I did more research and found out only about 1% of stoney meteorites are non-magnetic, makes it even harder to tell if real or not. Took it to the Geology Department at a Local University to get checked. They did the magnet test, of course it failed, they did a scratch test on tile and the Professor said " humm, never saw that before". He drew the stone across the tile and it made a black mark, then once more and nothing. The fusion crust left the black mark, but the stone under the fusion crust did not leave a mark. Earth rocks will leave red-brown marks on the tile...Conculsion from the University was "we can't tell", so.........I took it to a bigger University which does more tests, yes they did the magnet and the tile tests, now they are doing a complete analysis of the rock and it has been sent to the lab. No results back yet.

If you are looking for iron meteorites will getting yourself a Infinium L/S by Garrett with Iron check help locate what you are looking for?

Bottom line, look where other meteorites have fallen, check directions of strun fields, get permission to hunt, take a good magnet with you, and get an Infinium. In my case it was just looking in an erosion area and spotting the dark fusion encrustation and thumbprinting. Look at plenty of photos of stoney, stoney-iron, and iron types of meteorites. Maybe I have found a rare one, maybe not , but it sure is fun when you stump the egg headed professors! Will keep ya updated good or bad when we get the lab results.

3Qtr

Hey man, that sounds very interesting. I hope that you found something rare and valuable. That would be awesome!:super:
Yeah, that Infinium will pick up those meterorites that have a high amount of iron or nickel. Heck, any detector will. The Infinium won't pick up those meterorites of highly mineralized content. Over the years, I've found enough meteorites while nugget shootin' to fill up a five gallon bucket, but none of 'em were worth much. The vast majority of 'em are more of a nuisance while prospecting/nugget hunting. It's still pretty cool to find something of extra terrestrial origin.:thumbup: I've found a heck of a lot more meterorongs, too!:rofl: Best of luck to ya.:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

The Infinium can give a HI/LO or a LO/HI tone on meteorites, the tones may be loud or weak. I have a 1.5 kgm iron ( strongly attracted to a magnet) and the tone is a weak LO/HI at 6 inches. but another jagged 3.0gm piece gives a very strong HI/LO at 5 inches.
You need to know how the Infinium responds to the type of meteorite you are looking for otherwise you will have to dig all targets.
The iron check is not reliable on meteorites due to the wide ranging mineral levels.

So, what was the website you found all this info on? I have found 2 meteorites with my Infinium, small ones while prospecting.

Alan

Yea, I double that request. I would love to see that website. How about posting a link to it? I know there are more than a few of us here that would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the link for location of Meteorite falls for the entire world!

http://www.meteorites4sale.net/Locations/MLocations.htm

Sorry for not getting this out to the masses sooner.

Word on my find so far is not enough data from the laser test, will need to do a chemical test to see what the compound makeup is.

Problem at this time getting this done at AZ State and other labs due to NWS (North West Sahara) finds have loaded up the labs and they are not taking public finds at this time and it may be a while before they will let folks like us submit.

Good luck!