Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium II??

Bill D. (VA)

Heard a rumor that an updated Infinium is in the works, but no idea when/if it will come out. Anybody heard anything? If so, any idea of what the changes will be??

If I had to guess I would say not much would change except the coil selection - I feel there is not a whole big difference between any of the coil selections at this point......and, I bet it will be refitted with a straight shaft!

If a new Infinium II is released, its highly possible they will go with a single tone instead of the low/high or high/low tone feature.

Most Ferrous and higher conductive signals such as copper pennies, dimes or quarters will give a LOW tone just one tone for these targets.

Lower conductive targets such as foil, pull tabs, pieces of aluminum and most gold jewelry will produce a HIGH tone only.

As expected with Pi's, Hair pins will still fool the user even with the one tone target feature, and bottle caps are all over the ID scale so many will sound like a good target if going after gold jewelry.

Based from the latest Garrett Pi, which is a military pi for locating mines I believe if Garrett does come out with an Infinium II it will probably employ some of the other advanced pi technology features from the latest Garrett military pi.

So, In addition to the signal tone feature maybe other neat features from the military pi will be added to the new Infinium II.

Still, The Infinium is a great pi to be enjoyed for another decade to come.
Paul (Ca)

Wow! that sounds like a dream! but that's assuming Garrett has something in the oven with the Infinium......right?

That's true, assuming Garrett has something in the oven it will most likely employ some of the advanced features from the Garrett Pi Mine detector.

And they should, Garrett has the technology why not add these new features to an Infinium II model. They can even continue selling the Infinium and sell the advanced model for a few hundred bucks more.

Paul (Ca)

Howdy Paul.... Whatever new features it sports I hope it is more sensitive to the ubiquitous "bread and butter"
flakes and nuggets as found within the upper mid range surface. jim

yes, the bread and butter flakes missed by the 10x14DD and to deep for the monos in heavy mineral - hotter coils - single tone - straight shaft - wow! I want the Infinium II!

Hi Jim,

I wish that too, more sensitivity even if its slightly increased will be a warm welcome.

Something has to be in the works, Garrett already has the technology.

Not to get off subject, But your recent book (Three Hours To Gold) is a treasure to have. Well written and a joy to read especially having been to many of the places you shared in the book.

One of my favorite areas is Last Chance Cannon, not as for prospecting but for hiking great area to get out and explorer on foot one of the many Mojave Desert paradise.

Anyway, Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Infinium II with a little added sensitivity. That would sure give us old timers a smile ear to ear ;)

Paul (Ca)

Talked to some people at Garrett today and the release date for new products is usually late September - October. Let's hope for the best. No one knew of any new Infinium but they are only customer service people who are out of the tech loop.

WOW... Paul.... Thank you for the plug. It is not widely known that the Yellow Aster and the Stringer
district are Epithermal and related to the Pliocene and Miocene Volcanics.... Now to "add to the rest
of the story" Epithermal ore deposits tend to turn into Carlin-type at depth... Glamis Gold LTD was
far sighed enough to spend the money to acquire the mining rights to the Yellow Aster and the Baltic
properties. In just a few years they recovered over one-million troy/ounces by open-pit bulk heap
leaching... Their move to to open the Marigold property in Nevada was wise. But had they also kept
their Rand mine venture open they would still be economically recovering gold...There are many small
"Old-Timer" attempts to make a profit dry washing some of the known (and also now forgotten)
old workings.

Today a VLF-type detector can be used to work the small and scattered placers surface placers.
The PI's are expensive and lack the sensitivity and are like going after a rabbit with an African
elephant gun...

The Kelly Silver property is also Epithermal and likely in the future it will be another Carlin-type too.

The "monos' handle the "mineralization" as found in the North American Cordillera well. The 8-inch open
spoke Garrett mono is great for this. The Westcoil non-submersible 10-inch solid-frame mono is also another
choice... The original Infinium has always been underrated. The only improvement that is needed would
be more sensitivity toward the ubiquitous "bread and butter" placer. Australian mineralization is another
"ball game." Just my thoughts... js

Howdy Jim.... been awhile since we talked prospecting. I agree with you and Paul about a slight improvement in sensitivity. I also would like to see them produce the 5 X 10" elliptical in a mono format to improve maneuverability amongst rocks over the 8" mono. Single tones would be a welcome additional feature.

Paul... I also have the book authored by our very own Jim Straight entitled "Three Hours To Gold"... an excellent read I thoroughly enjoyed. Of course another of my favorites is Jim's "Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold"... it offers essential background geological information written in easily understood terminology... a "must-have" reference book" in my library. I highly recommend it to anyone serious about prospecting.

Jim H. in Canada

WOW... Mr HumblePie sir...Howdy Jim H. I did not know you are posting on the forum...
Gosh, I have learned from you over the years.Thanks for the good words; coming from
you it means "much" to me... (My hip replacement went well and I'm now walking with a
cane and somewhat with out one...) Thanks... Jim Straight

Holy Cow Jim... that is grand news!!! How is your knee? As mentioned earlier to you... my mother-in-law had both knees replaced... best thing ever. Took from four to six months to really get comfortable... but now you'd never know there had ever been an issue. And all the misery associated with chronic pain is a faded memory... thank goodness. She is fully mobile and enjoying life. So... if the knee is handicapping your mobility... its well worth the temporary inconvenience to get it replaced.

Back to the topic... one does get a feeling the Infinium is about to be upgraded... it is certainly overdue. It has become indispensible to my work in the Ontario silverfields. Whether by design or chance... it is the most effective unit I've used for separating much of the high conductive iron such as nails, spikes, drill rods and so forth from silver and associated ores in 26 years of prospecting. I would like to see an upgraded unit offer similar audio sensitivity / response with a bare threshold... that is currently achieved with the threshold run up to a setting of 6ish or slightly higher.

Really pleased for you Jim that you took the plunge to replace the hip...WTG...

Jim H. in Canada

Gosh Jim....My right hip is doing good. It is now my right knee. However I can walk pretty good
with a cane... but I hope that if I can get my right knee replaced and be able to get out and detect
again. However I can do local coin hunting using a walker with a bag attached to carry my digging tools.

I'm using the Gold Bug Pro with the 5-inch coil and going slow and careful in the trash. My neighbor
across the street lives on a caddy-wampus corner and the middle school kids have been cutting across
his lawn since the tract was built in 1964... He no longer waters the grass and it has bare spots and
weeds. He has given me permission to detect over the years and it it is just across the street and the
area is shady by late afternoon...

Actually I have been happy with my early Infinium(s). One was a test model and the other a early
production model I bought from the AMDA in Alaska... I gave Garrett 18 nuggets weighing one ounce
for the test model.... I later had both Infiniums updated with the mono-mode...

I did pretty good with the Infinium on a pediment slope (Eugene mountains) in Northern Nevada...
It punched down in the red clay as good or not better than either the Minelab 2100 with the
trashcan lid search coil or the 2200d with the 11-inch DD. But I it was not as sensitive to the smaller
gold.