Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Infinium or surfmaster dual field

HawaiiMDer

I'm new to this forum and would like to know between these two PI machines which one is the best. In March or April i will be buying another excalibur and a PI machine, just not sure which one. I've been lurking these forums as well as others, and seen mostly positive posts about the infinium, but nothing about the surfmaster dual field. I owned originally a surfmaster PI before my excalibur but sold it after using the excal. I want to give a PI a go again just need alittle input from all of you. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Clyde Clynick's latest book extols the Whites Dual Field. The book title is "Pulse Power" and the information it contains is worth many times the price paid..

Best Regards,
Steve

Just got an email from Clive today, that book is already in the mail. His other 5 books on the excalibur are on the way from andersondetectorshafts. Can't wait for all of them to get here. Are you familiar with either detector i mentioned?

Thanks,

Not familiar, same boat, shopping!

Go with the Dual Field you won't be sorry... its funny how you sold your PI after using the Excal... I started with a PI PRO then tried the Excalibur... sold the Excalibur because it was no where as deep as my PI... The Excal has its place but I hunt old beaches and look for old stuff over new drops so the PI is for me... maybe some day I'll try an Excal again ;)

I agree with Craig. I have the White PI Pro and the Dual Field. I go where the goodies are deep and those machines will get 'em
To be covered in all situations, I have a Tiger Shark, also. Good luck.
Deepseeker

Each machine, although both excellent, are suited for two distinct different types of hunting. The Infinium (PI) is more suited for person who likes to make adjustments for maximum depth and mineralization compensation. It has some discrimination capabilities....HIGH-LOW / LOW-HIGH. HL = gold & iron & LH = silver & iron. The Infinium also has an iron check (reverse discrimination) to help distinguish iron targets from gold and silver. It has to be ground balanced and has a slower swing speed.

The Surfmaster "Dual Field" can be swung much faster, and is more suited for a person who likes to turn it on and hunt without wanting to tweak his machine. It's more of a "dig everything" detector.

Out here in Hawaii we have alot of hot rocks, especially the beach i detected. I found that the excalibur could run smoother that my surfmaster PI so i sold it. However i don't think i gave it a fair shake hence the question about these two detectors. I want to give it try again but am unsure of which one to choice. Thanks everyone for your posts. I don't mind messing with the setting if i can maximize my detecting, so the infinium might be the better detector for me. I not really going to worry about the discrimination since my excalibur already does that. My intent is to look for the older stuff in more heavily hunted beaches, with the ability to make changes to my settings to get it to run at its maximum in any given location. The local dealer here, and the only one here, said that Garette is the bottom of the line and doesn't even compare to the dual field. I took that with a grain of salt and knodded my head. Anymore pros or cons would be appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Ken

"The local dealer here, and the only one here, said that Garette is the bottom of the line and doesn't even compare to the dual field." Of course he's selling you the other machine and Whites at that!. Take it from a guy who WORKED the field in Hawaii.

:garrett: :buds:

Infinium goes deep baby! I have to use a shovel! :poke:

Lets take it to the next level. Why not get a Minelab SD2200V2 or a Minelab GPX 4500 and really kick some @zz on the beach! Read "Above all others"

www.dankowskidetectorsDOTcom/aboveallothers.htm

Thanks King for you input. Unfortunately if i get those two last detectors you mentioned, i would have to waterproof them seeing as i like to surf detect. Thanks again for your recommendation.

Ken

That's the down side,heehee.

I'm sure the Garrett is deep but so is the Dual Field... I thought about the Infinium but decided on the DF... I said to myself why spend an extra $700.00 on a fancy bobbiepin finder when I could get the job done with only laying out around $700.00 total and with the DF there is no learning curve ;)

Ken.... Why would you want a discriminating PI when you have the best VLF water machine made? My hunting partner and friend PI-JOE have talked about this in the past..... Go with a straight PI and if you want descrimination stay with your Excalibur....

Actually Craig, i don't want one over the other. I'm going to keep my excalibur i have now and i'm going to pick up the excalibur 2 as well as a PI machine. Just not sure which PI machine to get. I've been watching the forums closely and it seems more people are posting that have the infinium. I'm not basing my decision strictly on who's posting, that would be stupid, but am watching on what they are posting about. I always pay attention to there problems with tuning or how deep they are hitting targets. Also looking for any reoccuring problems with either detector. I don't want to look in the forums specifically for each detector because i think its alittle bias, so i stay in here and try to make observations. I saw your post about not having a learning curve, but wouldn't the ability to adjust settings for any particular ground type you're at be better than just turn it on and go? Again when i had my Surfmaster PI, granted i probably didn't give a fair shake, it ran less stable than my excalibur did. Again i could tune my excalibur to the area i was detecting, so i thought i could apply the same principle to a PI machine like the Infinium. Craig have you used both detectors before? If you have which one worked better for you, not taking in consideration of messing with the settings cause i don't mind doing that, but more for performance, depth, falsing etc... Thanks, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Surely you have investigated the Whites and Infinium Forums!

I have tried to keep an open mind and even though I have used the Infinium with some success, I would drop it like a hot rock if I thought the Whites would be a better machine.

I am thinking about buying a Surfmaster Dual Field just so I can answer these questions for myself!

GL&HH Friend,

CJ

I don't really like the Infinium but it does cope well with the hot rocks and black sand which the Whites PI Pro didn't as they had removed the pulse delay which lead to instability in many hunting conditions. Whites corrected this mistake in the DF so I pretty much agree with Craigs posts except in volcanic conditions its not quite switch on and go, correct setting of the pulse delay is the key to the best performance. I was out with a DF this morning ( 4.30, raining cats and dogs ! ) and it was performing very well.
I have three of Eric's Pulse machines and for out on the wet sand my Deepstar remains my favourite but if your going in the water the Whites offers exceptional performance for the price.

The Infinium does offer discrimination to a point, but on a beach and in the water you don't know what the coil will pass over next. I've found the I.D. system can reverse on larger items of non ferrous which is a risk I don't want to take.

Don't let your Surfmaster experience sway you against the DF because they smoothed out the audio response which cut depth on the original models and the constraints of fitting everything in such a small control box led to a choice having to be made as to which external adjustments they could fit. In bad areas you need a full range of controls to "tame the tiger".

Thanks UK Brian, maybe i'll just get all three. Then i can see for myself which one i like the best. I appreciate your input.

I have not used the Infinium.. I do have friends who have used them and nothing against Infinium users but why spend $1300 for a machine when you can spend around $700 for a machine that will do just fine and is plenty deep... I hunt for old gold... its my main reason for water hunting...

With the Dual Field I don't need discimination of any kind... I know my machine like I know the back of my hand... when you are over a hot rock and we have plenty here in CT its a smooth tone... where as a coin is sharp and narrow sounding... a bottlecap also has a distinct sound on the Dual Field... wire, bobbiepins are a choppy broken signal... iron is a long drawn out tone... why should I give up depth when I know my machine and its tones? I will follow right behind a VLF user and I will find the gold his machine won't even hear... I have dug old gold rings down past the 22 inch range and my machine picks them up just fine... a PI user is listening for deep whispers.... Use your Excal but when you want the deepest stuff get a PI...

Awesome Craig!! Great points. Where can you get one $700.00. I only see them for $800.00 and the Infinium for $1100.00. I'll look more closely at the DF. Thanks very much.