Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Info request! FISHER Impulse!

A

Anonymous

Need good solid USER advice! Not the "I heard" stuff...I've got a chance to pick one up at a price that will fit my "workerbee" budget....Can't afford a Sand Shark(543), CS7(??), Aquapulse,(I assume cause I can't find a price on one...) 8X (1000) Surfmaster(450?), Barracuda(999), etc....Should I get one?? Or are they the red herring of the PI world?? Also 10.5 or 8 inch coil??
Also if PI is such a "simple" princple detector why are they so much more expsive??
THANKS!!!! Sorry for being a pop top in yer pouch!
HH
R-n-R

For what it's worth, I've used the Fisher Impulse, Barricuda, and Newforce CS-7. I prefer the CS-7 over the Barricuda and the Fisher Impulse a distant 3rd. If you can get your hands on a CS-7 you'll see what I mean. Quality construction, attention to detail, user friendly coil shaft and handle, stable operation, sweet sound on deep gold rings. The Fisher Impulse will get annoying with its constant retuning threshold needs while working the lower wet edge at the beach. Otherwise it too is still a solidly built machine. All three machines detect deeply, with the edge going to the CS-7 and Barricuda over the Fisher Impulse. Eight or ten inch coils are fine. The Barricuda even has a 12 inch coil available.---Rick

The CS-7 (around $950+) and Barricuda are both considerably more than the Fisher Impulse at $550. For my money, I'm just as happy with a WOT coil and Soverign or Excalibur for depth and the iron rejection. My Fisher Impulse has been relegated to 3rd backup behind another Excalibur backup. If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped on the Fisher, and cashed in some rings and saved for the CS-7 for my tool box in the first place. If you already have a WOT setup, the CS-7 would be a nice, high end, complementary PI tool for the hot mineralized zone sites. ---Rick

CS-7 can probably be had at a discount for around $800. It list for $1100. The Aquapulse is around $2000.
The Fisher Impulse was really designed with diving in mind, although it will, and does work on shallow water hunting. The sensitivity toward small conductive targets is greatly reduced. This also includes the J.W. Fisher 8X.
Your latter post on this subject states you can purchase a Impulse For $550. So you can afford a Sand Shark, and a Surfmaster.
I would search for a used CS-7, and go for that first, if not think real hard about purchasing a new one. I would give a long look also toward the Barracuda. I have seen a few of these units for sale used on the net.
I haven

The WOT coil is a 15"DD water proof open coil manufactured by Coil Teck and distributed by Doc in Las Vegas, NV. It is the coil of choice for beach hunters now due to it's greater depth and sensitivity over std. coils. Used on the Minelab Soverign and Excalibur. WOT means "wild orange thing". ---Rick

Hello R-n-R,
I recently purchased a used Impulse with an 8" searchcoil. I took it to a Massachusetts beach yesterday and worked on the sand at the low water line. During the hour and a half that I detected, I found a small silver ring, a nickel, and a fishing swivel. I didn't go home rich... but at least I found that the detector worked.
What do I like about the Impulse...
I like the balance & strong Fisher construction that gives the user the ability to hipmount the unit or use it as a one-piece detector.
Its ability to be able to pin-point an object without having to continuously sweep the coil.
The detectors strong volume.
The continuously visible battery condition indicator and the fact that it can get up to 100 hours on one set of user replaceable AA alkaline batteries.
My overall favorite feature of the Impulse is its extremely fast signal response to buried items that allows me to detect with a quicker coil swing.
What do I think some of the drawbacks are of this detector...
The fact that it has to be manually tune it more often than a detector with auto-tune. (I do not think it has to be tuned as frequently as one is led to believe.)
The Impulse does not have "user interchangable" searchcoils.
It cannot be fine tuned to a particular metal.
The fact that this detector "does not" detect the deepest of all the P.I. detectors, it does detect deep enough for my liking.
What would I want in "my perfect" P.I. detector...
One built in a housing like the Impulse, with rapid target response, zero motion pin-point, the stablility and depth of a Barracuda, the ability to adjust frequencies like the CS-7, that operates on user replacable AA batteries and will provide the user with up to 100 hours on one set of batteries, and have interchangable Fisher spider-style searchcoils.
I hope my opinion provided some useful information for you.
Safe Hunting, Rick (MA)