Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Initial Deus run

I got my deus today, unpacked it, charged it, turned it on and got no sound in the headphones. I have the WS4 so right before the panic started to set in and after cycling through the remote 30 times I turned to the web and found out I needed to pair my headphones with the coil. Finally I had sound!

Initial thoughts. I went to an old permission that I've hunted with about 6 different detectors over the years and have pretty much hunted it out.
1. Don't know how I feel about the WS4 headphones. I wear glasses and my ear started to get irritated about a half hour into my hunt. I'm thinking I should have gone with the traditional, WS5 headphones.
2. I used Basic 1 the whole time basically because it was my first time ever and I was afraid to touch the remote for fear I'd do something to screw it up.
3. A little nose heavy. I have the 11" LF and while not heavy you could feel the front pulling. I came from a CTX and I'd heard so much about how light the Deus is that I think in my mind I was thinking I'd be swinging a Q-tip. Definitely lightweight. It's just different because there is no weight up top.
4. No threshold. Quiet, then noise, then a blip, then a repeatable signal, dig, very deep, pull up trash. This is pretty much the story of my hour out in the field. As I said I have hunted this place over the past 7 years with 6 different machines. I can honestly say I found deeper trash with the Deus than I saw with any of my other machines. My problem is I had no idea what I was digging. I threw a .25 on the ground and it rang a 95 so I had at least a basis to look for.

This machine will take some time to learn for sure. I need to site down and really do some bench work but the cool thing is I'm not tethered to the machine. I can take the remote off or really even the coil, and put on the headphones and begin waving dimes, nickels, quarters and whatever other metallic items I can find and learn the tones, VID's etc. That's a huge plus in my book. I'm excited about the Deus. I ran out of sunlight and the Santa Ana winds and ants forced me off the property before I could find a coin but I'm hopeful after a bit I will locate my first of hopefully many.

1. I agree the WS4 can be cluttered, conversely the WS5 will be hot.
2. Basic 1 is a solid program, recommend switching to full-tones though.
3. I agree. Though I will say, swing it in the water if you want to feel heavy, when you walk back on land it will feel like it's going to fly away lol. Main thing is to watch out for a sore neck. Both my freind and myself developed a sore neck a few weeks after switching to the Deus, different posture I guess, staring down at the coil too much I guess, lol dug a lot of stuff this year.
4. Don't sweat the numbers so much specifically as listening for the "round sounds" at first in whatever number range you desire. Deeper targets usually aren't round but you'll learn to hear them after digging the rounds.

It's actually a pretty simple machine once you wrap your head around the reactivity. Imagine Gary's hot as the Default program and adjust from there. (Or Deus Fast switched to full tones)

My programs are essentially all the same, the only thing that changes is the reactivity. I may play with the silencer on 0 and 1 reactivity one day but I normally don't go that low.
I also have Gary's sifter programed, it is very handy at times.

Example: Take "Deus fast". If you lower the reactivity from 3 to 2 and add a touch of silencer you now have "Basic 1". Weather you use 12kHz or 18kHz is more of a site specific preference rather then a real change to the program.

It is a 10 part series and well worth the download and watching, then re-watching.

Micheal

Gary has a bunch of videos. What I would love to watch is a systematically identified here's video #1 through video #10. I've been to gary's site and i've subscribed to his youtube channel. Things are kind of all over the map in terms of what you should watch first second etc. Just today in unboxing my deus I had a problem because my headphones weren't paired to my coil. Thank goodness for google and youtube as i was able to make it work. I can imagine a newbie detectorist who just got a deus and thinking they just bought a load of crap because there really isn't a systematic video series that I've seen. Lot's of great stuff put out by many folks but not in an order that lends itself to a 1-10 kind of thing. Not a criticism just a reality. I'm hoping I can make the trip to Gettysburg in November with the XP with Andy. It's a cross country trip but a small price to hunt and to hunt well.
Mikie said:
It is a 10 part series and well worth the download and watching, then re-watching.

Micheal

http://www.xp-detectors.co.uk/xp-videos/

Where it says official XP Deus training videos

Micheal

Some thoughts as I recently purchased a Deus also...

First the WS4 was the correct decision, I tried to purchased the WS5 as my ears hurt with anything other than over the ear headphones. But my dealer insisted that I not purchase the WS5, here's why...first apparently they suck. Second on the WS4 the wireless puck is removable where its not on the WS5. You can transfer the wireless puck to other brand over the ear headphones. I purchased the Deteknix because its manufactured with a recess for the puck, no adapter required, they are not bad but the ear muffs feel a bit flat we'll see how long they hold up. I will likely transfer the puck to a set of Sunray Golds (my dealer gave me an adapter) which I have used for years and like.

Now the Deus...its a mixed bag. I'm coming from one of the best machines at target ID ever made, Minelab Explorer Se Pro. 0-8 inches its highly accurate on coins and trash. For quarters and larger targets 0-12 inches. The Deus in comparison its target ID is inferior, and beyond a certain depth which isn't that deep it gives up altogether. It won't even guess at an ID it just gives you the double -- as if to say hell if I know ID. So the Deus for target ID on deeper targets its going to be mostly a tone ID machine. But I purchased the Deus to find targets the Se Pro can't so its not like I had a choice between the two machines right. Se Pro has superior target ID but can't even lock onto targets the Deus does easily, superior ID doesn't really help if it can't even get a tone on the target due to nearby trash and iron, so my assessment of the Deus is in that context.

The Deus offers a bunch of different frequencies, but this also messes with target ID. Its not a ding against the Deus, if you change the frequency it changes the target ID even on the Minelab Se Pro. For example the Se Pro noise cancel has 11 just slightly different frequencies available for purposes of finding a frequency with the least EMI noise. Even this tiny shift in frequency slightly changes the target ID. The Deus low frequency coil offers 4 kHz, 8 kHz, 12 kHz, 17 kHz. These are big jumps in frequency vs the Se Pro and so target ID also changes significantly depending on which frequency you choose.

A Mercury dime ID at 4 kHz ID's at 71, at 8 kHz 85, at 12 kHz 89, at 17 kHz 91. Notice how the Mercury dime is climbing towards the top of the 0-99 scale with each increase in frequency. In fact ALL targets are getting crunched up towards the top of the 0-99 scale trash included as you increase the frequency. Lets continue, I have the 9 inch round high frequency coil, at 54 kHz the Mercury dime ID's as 97. So at higher frequencies its gets pretty difficult to tell one coin from another.

There is a feature for low frequency coils ONLY called ID Normalization. This normalizes the target ID for all four frequencies so that targets ID the same in all four frequencies. Here's the problem, it normalizes them to the 17 kHz frequency where they are crunched together up towards the top of the 0-99 range. For this reason some people turn this feature off. I sampled a bunch of different coins, buttons, gold, and trash targets at all the frequencies, printed and laminated the readings in plastic and carry these in my shirt pocket as a field guide. Ditto for the three HF coil frequencies 14.4 kHz, 28.8 kHz, and 54 kHz.

So the ability to change frequencies is a cool feature, something the Se Pro doesn't offer, and the Deus will hit on targets the Se Pro can't detect, but there is a price to pay in target ID. But if the Se Pro offered the same frequencies it would have the same target ID issues so not a ding against the Deus just the reality of running all these different frequencies.

Crown caps, the Deus sucks when it comes to this trash target but there's late breaking good news so stick with me. On the Deus crown caps ID the same as coins, so the higher the frequency the more coins are crunched together on the 0-99 scale the more coins crown caps overlap. That blows. They introduced this Silencer feature supposedly to deal with this problem, I tested this and dub it FAIL! Some say well if you pull off the crown cap hitting it with just the front edge of the coil the tones go lower, they do, but again I say FAIL! That would waste a LOT of time fussing with a crown cap in the field where crown caps are numerous. But I recently read one guys trick for ID'ing crown caps and tested in the field and it works very consistently. When sweeping a crown cap the mineralization bar rises significantly, pegging at the top even. When sweeping a coin it doesn't. I dug a bunch of targets I thought might have been a crown cap by tone, ID, but the mineralization bar wasn't moving, and none of them were crown caps. I dug a few where the mineralization bar was jumping towards the top and all were crown caps so trick confirmed. I'm guessing as they rust and leach into the soil that's what's going on here because air testing the dug crown cap does not cause the meter to jump.

Still the Minelab Se Pro is far superior on crown caps, its so good that I never dig them unless there's a coin hiding near/under them. The Se Pro banishes crown caps way off into their own zone far away from coins or other trash targets hence you can just notch them out and forget about them. Even better a crown cap that is trying to sneak out of this ID zone on the Se Pro, rising up towards coins is an indication there's a coin hiding under one. On the Deus there's no hope really since both the crown cap and coin will ID about the same especially at higher frequencies but at least now I have one trick to avoid digging most of them. I did dig one crown cap that did not peg the mineralization bar, it wasn't really that rusted which is why the trick didn't work on it I'm guessing.

Deus depth meter, this thing is all but useless. Se Pro depth meter is far superior, but here's some good news. During air tests and field tests I'm finding the lack of a target ID the hell if I know double -- ID is a better indication of depth so use that as a depth meter. Today I'm going to spend a fair amount of time digging -- signals to get under the modern trash depth and see what the Deus is trying to tell me. A gotcha is small near surface targets trying to head fake you, a problem on the Se Pro and even more so on the Deus. Just raise the coil to confirm a target is truly deep before digging, a small shallow target trying to head fake you will still be detectible where a true deep target will fade fast as you raise the coil off the ground. The same is true on the Se Pro, size matters. That trick also works for deep overly large targets, a deep coin will quickly vanish when raising the coil, a big chunk of iron or pop can will still sound off with the coil raised many inches. As the Deus has much better target separation, reactivity 2 and higher all targets seem about the same size as you sweep them, where on the Se Pro I can determine target size as I sweep the target because the target is so wide vs a coin. But that's just the trade off for better target separation on the Deus.

So out of the starting gate those are some of the things I struggled with initially and the solutions. Lots of stuff on the Deus I really like, its great and deep on mid conductors, at least with the 9 inch HF coil. Love the target separation in iron. Good luck with yours!

skateteacher, you might want to give this a look as a very very good program for the Deus by CT_Todd who posts here:
CT_Todd's killer Deus Settings

I use the same program and it is killer! Set up a program from his settings on your Deus, save it and use it. Be watchful of the TX power settings.

Also, you might seriously think about getting the 9" coil which is better where trash is present. The larger coil is better suited to areas with little trash in the ground.

Excellent overall Information Charles. I will add to the WS4 debate. I purchased the WS4's and also found them miserable to wear. I bought the adapter and have used iPhone earbuds all Summer and they are the best most comfortable system I have ever used on any detector period. I can wear them for 10+ hours and forget that I am wearing anything. The sound quality is very good and easy to hear the subtle tones of deep targets. The true bonus of the WS4 vs WS5 is the fact that with an adapter any wired headphone can be used wirelessly simply by plugging into the adapter and putting the puck into your shirt pocket. I might try the Deteknix's for the cooler weather coming up or maybe just pull a hat over the IPhone earbuds.

I'll definitely consider the ear buds for dirt digging in the summer. On the beach due to the noise of the ocean and wind over the ear phones are mandatory.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
skateteacher, you might want to give this a look as a very very good program for the Deus by CT_Todd who posts here:

I use the same program and it is killer! Set up a program from his settings on your Deus, save it and use it. Be watchful of the TX power settings.

Also, you might seriously think about getting the 9" coil which is better where trash is present. The larger coil is better suited to areas with little trash in the ground.

IMO that not a great program for a new-to-Deus user, for various reasons. It is a specialty relic program that will be borderline terrible for general use.

You are incorrect about the coil, the 11" coil does fine in trash. Sure the 9" is SHORTER, but its also shallower, not worth panicking about. Remember we are talking about DD coils.

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Deus deep dark secrets tip...what target goes gweak gweak gweak when you sweep it? Answer later today I'm heading out to hunt.

A canadian goose caught in your coil :bouncy:

enderman said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

IMO that not a great program for a new-to-Deus user, for various reasons. It is a specialty relic program that will be borderline terrible for general use.

You are incorrect about the coil, the 11" coil does fine in trash. Sure the 9" is SHORTER, but its also shallower, not worth panicking about. Remember we are talking about DD coils.

I'm pretty new to the Deus. I wasn't finding much until I set up CT_Todd's program. It allows one to hear the trash with the goodie. Of course, the caveat is that it is specific to Todd's area where he detects
but it is killer where I detect. I lower the TX to 1 or 2 and run Reactivity anywhere from zero to 2.5 where the 2.5 gives great separation between the iron nail hell that is in my yards. I run it at zero where there is
not as much trash but that is rare in my yards.
I have both the 11" and 9" LF coils. I can't use the 11" coil in my nail hell. The 9" coil hits very deep coins where I live and so I have no need to put on the 11".
I believe and have proven to myself and others that CT_Todd's program is a killer program especially in high trash areas. I don't hunt for relics.
Just the other day I posted on this forum about finding a silver quarter less than 1 minute of turning on my Deus in an area I have run many detectors over for the last 20 years. It is a very small area by the back door.
It was just enough of a squeaker in the midst of the iron trash that it was a dig me silver target. Many of the other coins I have found recently have been with Todd's program. All other programs in the Deus failed to find them.
My other detectors failed to find them as well in my yard over many years. So what may not work for you in your area works fantastic for me.

The "Hell if I Know" VDI of -- :clapping:

Good one Charles! I've noticed this many times - got one of these last month which turned out to be a crusty war nickel! I know what you mean about compressing all the "coin range" VDIs into the 90 with the HF coil. Have only used it once for 3 hours....but as that may be a nuisance, it seems Full Tones is a little more refined with the HF coils. The shape of the target in the ground greatly influences the audio characteristics of the signal - so many hunts using 4Khz and more of an open VDI spacing the trash targets really sound trashy.

Using the new HF coil is almost like learning another detector - there will be nuances and little "ticks" that will have to be learned and discussed here I'm sure....good luck today!

Great advice and info everyone. I think I'll be buying the deteknix so I can go over the ears as I hunt the dry sand. The WS4's are not going to block out the wind and the surf break for sure. I freely admit I was lost out there yesterday but I figured I would be and the ID being less than great is not as important to me because I found that when I hunted with my etrac and CTX I would spend so long analyzing a target, checking and rechecking ID that detecting was more like work than fun. One thing that did strike me as amazing was the depth. I dug two pieces of can slaw (the size of 1/4 dime) at 11". The sound was clear on the tone, you knew something was there, the horseshoe was upper right so at 4" I put the pinpointer in heard nothing, checked with the coil, still there, checked the pinpointer at 7" still nothing and finally the pinpointer picked it up at 9". All the while the coil kept telling me there was something there. I've never heard stuff this deep because my other detectors couldn't see it or couldn't communicate to me there was something there.

We have Santa Ana's today so I'll lay low until this evening. 96 degrees and 40 mph wind gusts suck the life right out of you.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
enderman said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

I'm pretty new to the Deus. I wasn't finding much until I set up CT_Todd's program. It allows one to hear the trash with the goodie. Of course, the caveat is that it is specific to Todd's area where he detects
but it is killer where I detect. I lower the TX to 1 or 2 and run Reactivity anywhere from zero to 2.5 where the 2.5 gives great separation between the iron nail hell that is in my yards. I run it at zero where there is
not as much trash but that is rare in my yards.
I have both the 11" and 9" LF coils. I can't use the 11" coil in my nail hell. The 9" coil hits very deep coins where I live and so I have no need to put on the 11".
I believe and have proven to myself and others that CT_Todd's program is a killer program especially in high trash areas. I don't hunt for relics.
Just the other day I posted on this forum about finding a silver quarter less than 1 minute of turning on my Deus in an area I have run many detectors over for the last 20 years. It is a very small area by the back door.
It was just enough of a squeaker in the midst of the iron trash that it was a dig me silver target. Many of the other coins I have found recently have been with Todd's program. All other programs in the Deus failed to find them.
My other detectors failed to find them as well in my yard over many years. So what may not work for you in your area works fantastic for me.

The thing is when you change the TX and especially reactivity it isn't Todds program any more. IMO Todd's program is a "4x4 low" program.
Like that Gary guy says, change something only when you have to.

You can't really base much off of a single find in your yard. With that little amount of polling, it could just as easily have been a coincidence.
I was running 18kHz for a while went down to 12kHz to hit some more high conductors, sure enough I was hitting more pennies and a bit of silver over a few hunts, as to be expected. Then last Saturday while hunting in 18kHz I hit 4 silver dimes in a hour in a half.
Did I get all that silver in 18kHz because it was on edge? Or simply because I didn't get my coil over it while in 12kHz? Based of past trends I still get deeper silver and copper in 12kHz, deeper Nickle, beaver tails and gold while in 18kHz which coincides nicely with a bench test. Even though it was a notable event, I would still stop short of saying 18kHz is better then 12kHz on the smaller more common silver coins.

Remember that time you asked about notching everything but silver? That could also have been a reason why you missed that coin.
Also you were surprised at finding a coin with your Explorer a few weeks back because the tone and number was so jumpy. I bet there are all kinds of things still there. I don't think I ever dug anything good with a Etrac that had a solid tone, so there's that.

See Todd hunts with a CTX so he could easily tolerate a 0 or 1 reactivity with a 0 silencer. If one were to run that with a TX of 3, they might be in for a wild ride if the site is even remotely modern.
When you turned your reactivity up, it probably added silencer back on, I don't know what version you are running.

The 7kHz in would be a decent "Relic" frequency but is shallow on common sized coins and rings, relatively speaking. It also doesn't "feel" as good as 12kHz or 18kHz.
If a person had a hunch that their ground doesn't work with 12kHz or 18kHz then 7kHz could be deeper on a coin, however that is a big assumption. I have a feeling our soils are more alike then dissimilar.

4kHz and 7kHz are great for bush whacking big coins though.

Talking about tone breaks and numbers makes my head hurt because it's so ambiguous, I don't know how to put a tone on something I've never found nor know exists, but to each their own. I prefer to let the cards fall where they may tone wise. It looks like the CTTodd program turns it into a 2- tone non ferrous machine which might be OK in the bush I suppose but anywhere else would make bad things sound better then they should and miss good things altogether.
Just a couple hours ago in the water I dug 5 or 6 small arms targets, '22 sized. Now these are lead or copper/brass targets, they could easily have been a desirable non ferrous target, but with CTTodds tone breaks would iron tone on them. Small brass(copper) lead and gold is right above iron and CTTodd's program iron tones all the way up to 33.

The 11" is easy 1 1/2" deeper on average, on everything without touching a button. I'm not that lazy that I want to give up all that depth and coverage because it might seem slightly easier on a tough target one day.
As I mentioned before, the 9" is shorter and shallower, it doesn't feel any narrower to me. Why does it matter that much if your coil is shorter when you're trying to X out a coin next to a nail with the center of the coil? Even if you wiggle off they both have a toe and a heel.

enderman said:
You can't really base much off of a single find in your yard. With that little amount of polling, it could just as easily have been a coincidence.
I was running 18kHz for a while went down to 12kHz to hit some more high conductors, sure enough I was hitting more pennies and a bit of silver over a few hunts, as to be expected. Then last Saturday while hunting in 18kHz I hit 4 silver dimes in a hour in a half.
Did I get all that silver in 18kHz because it was on edge? Or simply because I didn't get my coil over it while in 12kHz? Based of past trends I still get deeper silver and copper in 12kHz, deeper Nickle, beaver tails and gold while in 18kHz which coincides nicely with a bench test. Even though it was a notable event, I would still stop short of saying 18kHz is better then 12kHz on the smaller more common silver coins.

Remember that time you asked about notching everything but silver? That could also have been a reason why you missed that coin.
Also you were surprised at finding a coin with your Explorer a few weeks back because the tone and number was so jumpy. I bet there are all kinds of things still there. I don't think I ever dug anything good with a Etrac that had a solid tone, so there's that.

See Todd hunts with a CTX so he could easily tolerate a 0 or 1 reactivity with a 0 silencer. If one were to run that with a TX of 3, they might be in for a wild ride if the site is even remotely modern.
When you turned your reactivity up, it probably added silencer back on, I don't know what version you are running.

The 7kHz in would be a decent "Relic" frequency but is shallow on common sized coins and rings, relatively speaking. It also doesn't "feel" as good as 12kHz or 18kHz.
If a person had a hunch that their ground doesn't work with 12kHz or 18kHz then 7kHz could be deeper on a coin, however that is a big assumption. I have a feeling our soils are more alike then dissimilar.

4kHz and 7kHz are great for bush whacking big coins though.

Talking about tone breaks and numbers makes my head hurt because it's so ambiguous, I don't know how to put a tone on something I've never found nor know exists, but to each their own. I prefer to let the cards fall where they may tone wise. It looks like the CTTodd program turns it into a 2- tone non ferrous machine which might be OK in the bush I suppose but anywhere else would make bad things sound better then they should and miss good things altogether.
Just a couple hours ago in the water I dug 5 or 6 small arms targets, '22 sized. Now these are lead or copper/brass targets, they could easily have been a desirable non ferrous target, but with CTTodds tone breaks would iron tone on them. Small brass(copper) lead and gold is right above iron and CTTodd's program iron tones all the way up to 33.

The 11" is easy 1 1/2" deeper on average, on everything without touching a button. I'm not that lazy that I want to give up all that depth and coverage because it might seem slightly easier on a tough target one day.
As I mentioned before, the 9" is shorter and shallower, it doesn't feel any narrower to me. Why does it matter that much if your coil is shorter when you're trying to X out a coin next to a nail with the center of the coil? Even if you wiggle off they both have a toe and a heel.

Hi enderman, thanks for your thoughts on this! :beers:
It wasn't just one single find in my yard but quite a few silver dimes, buffalo, silver quarter, wheatbacks etc. It could be there are better settings to use. These were missed with my other detectors over many years of detecting my property.
I imagine you hunt in full tones? If so, one cannot use the tone breaks. That's okay if you are finding lots off goodies.
Could you share your exact program? I'm willing to try it out as I am always willing to learn new things. Anything that helps me find more goodies, I'm all for it! I'm am running version 4.0.
Again, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you as to your program for dry land hunting.
HH!

Sure I can share.

Positions 11, 12, 13, 14 ,15, 16, 17 are all the same, the only thing that changes is reactivity. Number 18 is Gary's sifter.

Example my starting mode is number 14 which is

-Reactivity 2.5
-Sens 90
-TX 2
-Silencer -1
-Fulltones.
-Audio Resp 4
-No disc.

If trash gets heavier, I press the button to move to 15 or 16. (Reactivity 3 or 4)
If targets are scarcer I move downward to 13 or 12 etc. (Reactivity 2 or 1)

Number 18 Gary's sifter of course has TX 1 and low sens, so I have it saved by itself. I use that on old roads full of nails.

Note I don't use 0 and 1 reactivity often (Position 11 and 12) so I havent't developed a preference for adding silencer yet, so for now I've left it off.

As you can see just by changing the one reactivity setting changes the machines performance quite a bit. So I don't know if you consider this one program, or multiple. Regardless it's easy to understand, everything stays familiar.

The concept is to run as low of a position as possible/fun/tolerate because it is deepest. Bump the reactivity up when the trash gets busy and shallower.

If I could, I would hunt Gary's sifter mode all the time, it's beautiful, but that just isn't practical, you have to generally hunt with the lowest reactivity that is still fun.

So right now I'm heading to a site. I'll be using position 13 or 14 in the main soccer fireld area, when I work towards the sidelines, I bump the program up a bit to a faster (and shallower) reactivity, then back down again when the targets subside a bit.