Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Initial reconnaissance finds beach has been "replenished"

tvr

For our (wife and I) post Christmas beach trip I had a chance to get about 45 minutes in on the beach before getting dinner. Sand looked like things had been replenished since we were in the area in July. Confirmation was a shallow .50 cal shell and a little bit away a matching bullet point. Did the recon with the Excal but tomorrow will take the AQ out. This evening I looked up the replenishment, it happened just after we last visited back in July. If I find anything, it will probably be something dropped since July or pumped up from offshore. Recon found more iron than what I was seeing in July, should be good ear training with the AQ in all metal mode ... but hopefully not too much iron digging.

Sounds like a nice getaway, tvr!! Is this an area where they did live fire training in WW2 or something?
okie

Sounds like a nice getaway, tvr!! Is this an area where they did live fire training in WW2 or something?
okie
Yes. They trained pilots shooting targets on barges offshore before sending them overseas. All the .50 cal shells I've found over the years have date stamps from early to mid 1940's from several different manufacturers. My most frequent reference page for these is here: http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html
I have not cleaned up today's casing to see what it is stamped with.

I have heard about these areas. I didn't know if it would be fired from aircraft or ships/boats. I'm sure
the latter were done farther offshore. Pretty interesting, although you are probably searching for other
types of targets.
okie

Reactions: tvr
Hey, good luck with the AQ. Keep us how that machine does for you. Hunting a replenishment , you just never know.

Hey, good luck with the AQ. Keep us how that machine does for you. Hunting a replenishment , you just never know.
Got a good 5 hours in yesterday. Got a couple hours to go before the tide heads out today. Identifying iron is going well. Being able to walk around the target and sweep from different directions helps. That is a lot easier to do that over wet sand than it is in the water. No good targets to speak of. I did have some annoying little pieces of wire that I dug (at good depth) that, when I got them on the surface, I laid them on the sand and tried to make them give me a tone break in tone mode or go away in mute mode; they would not do either. I need to find a magnet to see if they are really iron like they look to be. Excal does null on them when right up on the coil, but they are small. ???? I dug a couple of fish hooks that I had called as iron and they would give a tone break in tone mode and go away in mute.

Another about 5 hour wet sand hunt today. Got a new style wedding band, no markings but probably stainless with either abalone or mother of pearl; not sure which. The ring was deep. It was a five scooper and was not in the side of the hole, was at dead center of where the first scoop was. That is what I have been hoping for with the AQ; now I just need to get the right metal. Got a junk earring that is fairly well encrusted, looks to be a plated copper one with not much if any plating left. Did pretty well with iron today, had three pieces of fencing that fooled me. Did not pack a camera, will need to do pictures when I get home.

Hunting new sand is really tuff. Finding anything is a challenge. Sounds like you got the depth though. Luck to you.

Reactions: tvr
Hunting new sand is really tuff. Finding anything is a challenge. Sounds like you got the depth though. Luck to you.
Thank you.
It is an interesting slope on the beach. It is dual tiered. There is a flat in the dry sand that was pumped in last summer; then a slope away from the high tide mark to a flat plateau about halfway down to the low tide mark then another slope down to the low tide area. The lower part is where I've been working and I was surprised when I got some clay come up in a scoop and not just sand and shell. Not sure if some clay got pumped up with the replenishment or if the lower slope is really more of the old beach profile. It is like that for at least a couple miles; haven't ventured further, and may not. This is a pretty wide beach between the high and low tide points. If the lower part is close to the old beach, I may get lucky!

It has been a good shelling trip for my wife. Not so many sharks teeth, but a lot of shells.
Cheers,
tvr

Shells can be a good sign that they didn’t screen the sand too finely..I’ve seen beaches that didn’t have anything bigger than a dime size after replenishment..the 50 cal shells can slip through but not much of anything bigger round wise..

Got another junk ring today. Over all, today can be summed up as "the incredibly deep bottle cap day". I'm a bit sore from the digging, but need the exercise. ;-)