Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Interesting fact about the Silver Umax!

fltacoma

After I was admiring my detectors for a while and watching my son get a kick out of the detector beeping, I looked inside the Silver Umax and to my surprise, the chip for it says Eldorado V1.2?

I wonder what the first Silver Umax's have inside?

Makes me wonder more, about how the chips are marked in my Eldorados... I should probably take a look; wanted to see if a 10 turn GB pot would fit in there anyway.
The Silver μMAX and Cutlass II μMAX, which is supposedly the very same detector inside, are a couple I don't have.
Eldorado was only a 3 year model, before being replaced by Vaquero; maybe they just had lots of those chips already labeled..(?).

Well, I looked at a picture of the inside of an Eldorado, and I suppose that it MIGHT be the same part? Not 100% sure though. I would assume that all of the pots are fixed in the Silver Umax vs. the actual adjustable pots inside an Eldorado....

I own the cutlass umax (original not the II)
I'll have to look inside. It's different than the cutlass II. It's also way more rare.
No switches. It's a cross, best if both, as far as the silver/Eldorado's and the compadre.
It runs at 12khz like the compadre, has the sensitivity adjust and has a click down all metal similar to the how the vaqueros is in the disc knob. It stays in disc mode (not threshold based) but bypasses the disc circuit.
In disc it's ed120 but when clicked down into all metal it accepts any metal.
I was happy to find it and always wondered why they went to the 10khz on the cutlass II.
It behaves like a compadre on small gold like no others do (of course besides the compadre) but it also has the all metal which seems to act like the vaquero in minimum disc.
I wonder why they stopped making it.
I like having the sensitivity knob and the coils can be changed but I leave the 8" on because the machine is tuned to it. No GB knob or even threshold.

I'll have to open it up and see what the chip says!!!

I wanted a silver umax at one point but figured this is the same but with the 12khz sensitivity to gold.
The other plus is the higher audio like the bandido II umax.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

They would probably interchange the same parts on different detectors when they could and from there the other electronics configured in would differentiate between the models? I have an older Tesoro from the 90's and it's board is marked with a different model from that same time period.

Many Tesoros are basically the same in circuitry. They would add or leave some feature(s) off between models.
So they can use a common chip such as the Eldorado IC between models. Doesn't mean your Silver can be turned into an Eldorado
as add'l circuitry needed is not part of the circuit board design.

Take the Eldo sticker off the chip and see if there's a manufacturer brand and part number on it. Then google it to see what kind of IC it is.
If the info on the chip has been sanded off, the average person will not be able to figure out what is is. Common practice on many detectors is to wipe the chip
Id off of it.

Sven, I think these circuits have been traced for years. There is probably schematics floating around on the web if you search. I may even have some on a old thumb drive somewhere.

HH
Mike

Out of curiosity about the chip and to see if I can get a 10 turn GB pot in there (think I CAN!), I took a look imside my very late Eldo, one of those with the matte decals and gold painted poles... ELDO1.1