Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Interesting metal find

GoldChaser

I found this funny piece of metal about 9" deep at the edge of the Yuba River in northern California last weekend. Sorry about the quality of the pictures - it's about 1/4" in diameter and has a shiny silvery look. Thought it may be lead at the time, but since my fingernail and then my knife didn't penetrate it I realized it wasn't lead. It also had no rust at all. The back part of it looks rock-like. Found it with my TDI, then brought it home and my MXT read it in the iron range. And it sticks very strongly to my rare earth magnet. Yet no rust and very shiny after being buried 12" in wet sand/gravel at the river's edge. Any ideas what kind of metal this may be?

Great idea! Here's a scanned image. The more I look at it, the more it looks like pencil lead - dark gray/silver shiny.

Sounds like it could be a meteorite...

lead is NOT magnetic...I am thinking more and more...Meteroite, or welding slag...

HH,

meteorite could be the closest guess, because of the depth of the find. This is an honest guest of my own.

Take the lid off your toilet tank, turn the lid upside down, and run the object over the unglazed surface of the lid. If it leaves a black mark on the lid, it is not a meteorite. If it doesn't, then it's possibly a meteorite.