Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

interesting observation

Justme

Last week I took my v3i out on local football field. Just took a ten foot wide section, hunted it in c/j, turned around and hunted it in relic mode and then put it back in its bag. Got my m6 out, hunted the exact same area and picked up 2.90 I had missed. Now I know the v3i is a much better unit but what am I doing wrong?

I don't know what your settings were on either machine but I owned an MXT at one time. Try the same experiment a few times but reverse the two machines and use the M6 first.

I read another post you made and you gave more information. If you are running the programs in stock form at 3" to 4" for targets the V3i should see them in all but the very worst ground. Have you done a coil test? Have you tried another coil?

I've owned and operated a V3i since 2010. I got an M6 a couple years as a backup and like you, my M6 finds coins better than the V3i on most days. I once asked if the V3i could be made to exactly run like the M6 and the answer was, "Why would you want to limit the V3i?" or something like that. I still run the V3i after all this time but I can guarantee you that the M6 will kinda run circles around the V in clad count where I've come home light in the treasure pouch.

I truly hope that you find an answer for us. I'm not saying that I haven't found some great stuff but I will say that I have never matched the top two tectors on group hunts as far as clad/coins after hunts. what disses me is when they follow me over a spot and dig coins I had just missed. Either I am a terrible tector, or I've never mastered the settings, or the V3i won't ever work as efficiently as class-B detector models.

Some will surely ask, "Why don't you lose the V3i and move on." That's a good question. The V3i is supposed to way better and I paid for it to be. My vendetta is to keep hammering on it.

I'm sorry but I cannot understand after almost 5 years of continued posts stating all the trouble you have experienced why you would not just sell the V3i and use the M6. If you believe the M6 is better use it.

"Either I am a terrible tector, or I've never mastered the settings, or the V3i won't ever work as efficiently as class-B detector models." Complaining isn't going to change your situation. I own a Minelab SE, and CZ6a. They are both considered deep and accurate detectors and each has its advantages. Neither of them make me feel like I am out gunned with my V3i.

I don't understand your problem but it is not, "the V3i won't ever work as efficiently as class-B detector models." If I felt like you my solution would be a no brainer, SELL it. Sorry if you think my answer is hard, but I've heard this from you for 5 years and it is how I feel.

If you can't find success with the V3i , find a detector that will give you that success. Then spend your time having fun. That's what its all about. :stars:

That's my thought Daddy, if it works for you use it, if not find something that will.

I expected this response. Where I live in Texas, I and only one other tector I kknow owns a V3i. That fact tells me something about the sastisfying operation factor surrounding the V3i. I think that the machine itself has to share responsibility.

5900_XL-1 said:
I expected this response. Where I live in Texas, I and only one other tector I kknow owns a V3i. That fact tells me something about the sastisfying operation factor surrounding the V3i. I think that the machine itself has to share responsibility.

I disagree with you. I live near Waco TX so if you want to hunt sometimes give me a shout. The reason I disagree is that the V3i is an advanced user machine. Everything on it is adjustable. If you are not an advanced user you will tinker with it and get it out of adjustment where you won't find anything. V3i likes to be swung slow. The more advanced users like to swing fast. I will not say I am an advanced user but I have been hunting since 1975. I asked many questions on here and other places when I got my V3i. I received many responses from knowledgeable people that I did not understand. I am getting pretty good at using my V3i and I will admit the V3i is not my first choice for all hunting. I had an old Tesoro Golden Saber II that would clean up shallow coins like no other. I had a Garrett Ground Hog that could cherry pick coins in non motion mode that really frustrated other machines.

I have found that the V3i when adjusted right with the right coil will hunt with any of the machines out there. Rob has not commented on my inverted T on the Spectrograph finding Nickles but I dug three in a row today that I would bet my pay check on. I like my V3i and will tell you that I am not rich at all but I can afford any machine I want and the V3i is what I am hunting with. There are very few dedicated hunters, myself included, that really spend enough time to really learn a machine like the V3i. It has taken me a long time and I was not happy at all with the stock coil. I sold it almost immediately. I still can not understand why Whites picked that coil as a stock coil. I did not like any of the stock programs. I made my own and use it every day. I would have set up the stock programs much different had I set up the programs for the V3i. The main reason is that a lot of critical adjustments stay the same regardless of the program used. In other words if you screw it up then try to go back factory it is too lete.

I agree with Rob that you have lost faith in it therefore it will never be good enough to satisfy you. That is completely OK I will tell you from doing a lot of reading that most likely your machine is not setup right and sweep speed on the V3i is critical. Some of the Whites machines are at their best when swinging fast. NOT THE V3i

Good write up Daddy. I still stand by my advice. If you are not happy sell it. There are too many people doing great with the V3i. The reason for most of us to detect is to have fun. If it ain't happining it is time for a change.

Share your setup with Martin, he isn't that far from you.

I'm not giving up on the machine. I'm not experienced with it to the degree others are. This machine is a beast and I know whites does not put out junk. I've had several whites and have had good success. I will change coils and start messing with the settings now. I turned the recovery speed down and will go from there. I haven't deviated from the factory settings yet. Thank you for help

Have you tried loading the MXT program from the library and running it for awhile? Leave the settings factory, speed up recovery and change the tones to a simple 3 tone if you want to.

irnwrkr said:
I'm not giving up on the machine. I'm not experienced with it to the degree others are. This machine is a beast and I know whites does not put out junk. I've had several whites and have had good success. I will change coils and start messing with the settings now. I turned the recovery speed down and will go from there. I haven't deviated from the factory settings yet. Thank you for help

Filters Filters Filters Usually lower the RX and remember you have to adjust the filters

Cadman the MXT program rally won't emulate the MXT. Carl was the first to admit this.

Ironworker, if you start making changes without knowing why you are making them is why people run into problems.

Daddy, with the filters, the lower the filter number is the less of the signal is filtered out. If your ground is not bad this usually yields the most depth. But this is only where the ground will allow it. I forgot which filter you use in Waco.

Daddy, with the filters, the lower the filter number is the less of the signal is filtered out. If your ground is not bad this usually yields the most depth. But this is only where the ground will allow it. I forgot which filter you use in Waco.

The Filter I use depends more on my swing and the coil. The 4X6 does a great job with a 7 high pass filter. My SEF will run on a 10 but to swing fast I have to use a 12 band pass. I am going to make myself use the the 6X10 Eclipse and get it dialed in. I expect to swing this fast so just guessing the 10 band pass may be the best. Really can not say much about my dirt it is all kinds from sand to black clay. I hunted yesterday at a house that had sand in front that was mild and great. The back had this super hard gummy black dirt that was super hard to dig even after a 2 inch rain. I know yall are referring to Mineralization but hunting these places the dirt was originally hauled in so there is no telling what it is. I do know that my V3i is next to impossible to ground balance with the Sunray to probe

Swapped to 6x10, wouldn't see a nickel on top of ground so I started messing with filters and got detector to where it would see the nickel. I got lots to learn. Will read manual again tonite

The V3i should see a nickel on the ground with any filter.

Rob (IL) said:
The V3i should see a nickel on the ground with any filter.

Not so Rob. This weekend mine was missing a dime on top of the ground. It was most likely because of my swing speed, but after the adjustments I was getting the same Dime at 8 inches with the same coil with the same swing speed. My guess it was filter combined with Junk and Recovery time.

Interesting.