Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Interesting T2 find

SteveP(NH)

I seldom post my finds but I found a medal the other day that I have never seen posted on any detecting forum and so thought it was worth a post. First before the pictures here is a little piece about it I found on the internet...

[size=small]One of the most widely used charms was a coin with the image of St. George, patron saint of knights and fighting soldiers. This type of talisman developed from the Mansfeld thaler. First minted in 1521, it was commissioned by a Count von Mansfeld and honored his family's patron saint. An imperial officer was said to have been shot in battle, but saved from injury by a Mansfeld thaler he carried. The tale quickly spread and the cost of the thalers rose, thanks to smart middlemen, 10-20 times the original price. Faith in the legend was renewed when a colonel of the Sachsen family, von Lisbau was supposedly twice saved by a Mansfeld thaler sewn into his clothing.

During the 30 Years War and the wars against the Turks it is said that all officers and even some common soldiers wore these thalers. Eventually, demand was so great that some businessman started minting a special St. George talisman. These talismans were of various sizes, silver, gilt, or bronze, and all one type. On one side was St. George on horseback, thrusting his lance at a dragon with an inscription: "S. GEORGRJS. EQUITUM PATRONUS." (St. George, protector of knights) The other side had a ship with a taut sail on a rough sea and Christ asleep on the deck with two terrified apostles. A wind blows through a small cloud into the sail. The inscription: "IN TEMPESTATE SECURITAS. (Safety, or security in the storm).[/size]

Here are the pictures
[attachment 139278 reverse_medal.jpg]
[attachment 139279 obverse_medal.jpg]