Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

intermittent readings when swinging

joebart2

My control box got wet and after I dried it out and cleaned it all with contact cleaner, it turned on ok and seemed to be functioning ok, but when I pick up the detector to start to swing it, the sound goes in and out. This is with and without headphones. I don't think it's the control box honestly, Maybe the coil going bad?

Possibly still has moisture in it.
Open it. Let it dry a few weeks.
Did you gently blow out the cleaner.
I prefer Pevey Funk Out.
Good luck.

why would that x out the coil?
If the coil worked before and the control box leaked I would say control box. But as Picketwire said the cable end could be the issue the rest is water proof I don't know what minelab you have but on the ctx when the coil is not working it tells you on the screen . But since it is working almost sounds like a loose wire somewhere battery?. I am sure someone here has your detector and has had that problem with a bad coil but yes switching coils will tell which part is the problem . sube

If the coil worked before and the control box leaked I would say control box. But as Picketwire said the cable end could be the issue the rest is water proof I don't know what minelab you have but on the ctx when the coil is not working it tells you on the screen . But since it is working almost sounds like a loose wire somewhere battery?. I am sure someone here has your detector and has had that problem with a bad coil but yes switching coils will tell which part is the problem . sube
It's an old Explorer. If it were a battery issue, I would lose power and it would turn off. It doesn't turn off, just loses sound on and off. I'll switch coils when I get a chance to rule that in or out.