Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Introduction, and my best detected find in ages!

Plumbata

Hello All,

I am Stephen, a 24/yo resident of Peoria, IL, and may have joined this or a similar forum in the past but do not recall the associated particulars.

I believe that Bill, a friendly and helpful fellow who I have encountered at auctions and sales since the mid '90s, is an active member, as well as Drew, a fellow bottle-digging buddy.

Lately, bottle digging has not been providing me the excitement it once did and I have decided to break out my father's old White's Silver Eagle; a device which he brought to show me the day he got it when picking me up from Kindergarten, years ago back in Maryland. Barely strong enough to use the machine, I made some great finds back then, but after the move to Peoria 16 years ago the detector remained dusty and unloved for some time, as i was more interested in collecting antiques and digging bottles.

Recently, the discoveries posted at the treasurenet forums have reignited the drive to do some coinshooting, and several weeks ago I began detecting around Columbus, Ohio, where my Girlfriend attends graduate school (I helped her move and stayed a few weeks). Aside from a few common wheaties, nothing good was found. Now back in Peoria, an area I am far more familiar with, I have actually had some luck:

On the afternoon of the 15th I decided to check out an old sidewalk in the woods but it was a bust, so i went to an area that gave me the vibe of being a coin-rich spot, a space probably 60X60 feet. I started getting coin signals every several feet and was happy that finally I hit on a decent zone. It was getting dark at that point and I was using my cell phone to read the detector readings and to spot the coins in the dirt plugs, but despite this issue I had no complaints.

In about 20 minutes at this spot I found 9 copper pennies including 1 1940 wheatie, 2 clad dimes, and the last item dug, only 2.5 inches deep (everything was less than 4 inches deep) totally blew my face off. I rubbed the back and thought I had found a high-grade barber dime, but when I flipped it around... After finding it I excitedly packed up and went home to clean it:

299330_10100922098673680_1937295_67010816_749115646_n.jpg

311948_10100922099013000_1937295_67010821_824072774_n.jpg

315690_10100922099207610_1937295_67010825_546866818_n.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the condition couldn't be better. My goal was to find 1 silver by the end of the year, and I would have been happy with a '64 rosie, but this piece sure takes the cake. I dug a 1857 quarter years ago, so now all I need are the half dime, half, and dollar, hehe.

Take care y'all.

Welcome to our Forum Stephen. All your skills are still active and your finds will increase. Your invited to attend our meeting on Thursday, Oct 27th at the North Branch Peoria Library at 6:30pm. This is just behind Menard's on Allen Road. We will be displaying our finds from the past month. Please join us.

Very nice find, Stephen. Much more will come your way.
Capt Ron

Welcome to the forum Stephen. BIG congratulations on your beautiful seated dime. She's a beauty for sure. We would love for you to come join us with the PATH Club.

We miss Drew also. I've got an old privy that is dying to be opened up this fall.

HH,
Nancy

Gorgeous dime Stephen and goes to show that not all old finds are deep...... :clapping: Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum! that dime is sweet! looks like that could be a great spot...congrats!