Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Investigating VDI numbers

Flbchbm

Well, it's a rainy day here, messing up my plans to go play at the park, so since I can't detect I decided to look into my Fors CoRe VDI numbers to try to understand better what I've been seeing. I have had a couple occasions where I dug a target because the sound was good and the VDI was unusual only to find multiple coins in the same hole or a coin and a non-coin target. A single coin with its face towards the coil will give a sweet, clean sound and a solid, stable VDI number. BUT, if the coin is on edge or touching another coin or touching another conductor or is very near another conductor, you may not get that sweet, clean sound and your VDI numbers will not be what you would expect.

To check this out, I found a small cardboard box, mine is 2 1/2 inches on all sides. I wrapped several rubber bands around the box. The bands will hold the target against the side of the box. This simple contraption can now be used to air test single targets, multiple targets on the same plane, and multiple tagets on different planes. Simple and cheap, just like me! I would strongly encourage you to put one of these together and play with different combinations of targets and different orientations of the box to the coil. I promise you can learn a lot.

I am gonna be lazy and not type out a bunch of data, as I have done in the past. Instead I will just summarize what I found:
1. A single target can give different VDI numbers depending on the orientation of its greatest surface area plane to the coil. Example: A quarter can give a VDI number anywhere from 71 to 92, depeding on the relationship of the face of the coin to the plane of the coil.
2. When two targets are on the same plane and not touching each other, the VDI number will correspond most closely to the last target the coil sees.
3. When two targets are not on the same plane, the VDI number will be biased to the target closest to the center of the coil. Note that this means that the further from the center of the coil the two targets are (heel or toe of coil), the less separation they have in relation to the center of the coil and the more likely the VDI will fall somewhere between the VDI of each separate target.
4. The most reliable, stable and accurate VDI number will be obtained by making sure the center of the coil is swept over the target, and that the sweep speed is consistent.
5. When two different targets are on the same plane and they are touching, the VDI will fall between the VDI of each separately. Example- Apenny with VDI of 82 touching a pull tab of 60 will give a VDI of somewhere between 60 and 82. The VDI will be biased towards whichever target is closest to the center of the coil.

I only spent about thirty minutes playing with this. I am sure there is much more to be learned about VDI numbers, if one so desires. It certainly does illustrate to me how much one can be missing when they just cherry pick specific VDI numbers. It also helps in understanding jumpy VDI numbers. I know I will still use VDI numbers as part of my decision making but I will be a little less likely to reject digging just because the number isn't "right". Hope you try this for yourself. It is worth the time and trouble.

Great tests. Doing things like this will really open your your eyes as to how you can't rely on VDI numbers as the sole reason to dig or not. Your observations with the CoRe and these tests are universal with all detectors.... VDI "averaging" with multiple targets, jumpy #s, etc. It is because of your findings that the saying, " Look for a reason to dig a target not an excuse not to dig one" comes in to play. Thanks for your efforts!

Dean

not sure all detectors are made equal when it comes to VDI numbers, thanks for the insight on the core, what I do agree with is if you want it all dig it all :biggrin:

AJ

AJ,
You have a lot more machines than I've ever had. That's for sure. The thing that I have seen is that they all seem to "average" the VDI if there are multiple targets close together under the coil or the numbers will bounce around as you circle the targets and the targets change position relative to the direction of the sweep. I tend to dig in these situations more than with a stable "knowable" or "familiar" VDI because I know that there is more than one target down there and one of them may be good. For example, I know zinc pennies come in at 82. I will pass on stable "4-way" 82s if I don't have much time and want to cherry pick. If I get 82 mixed with other numbers as I circle the target I'll dig as there is probably something else too.

Dean

Dean
I can not argue with that makes sense to me, I know after cherry picking a site of zinc and up and then going back to dig it all I have missed coins in that cherry picking range, but what I also found is some sites are different after cherry picking coins after doing that and digging all found no more of the cherry picked coins and there was a lot of tabs etc left.

I haven't used the red racer so I can not say for sure only from what I have read and short testing with the gold racer.

so yes I agree with you for the most part, my junk cherry picker is the F19 and it is very good at it but don't tell anyone ok :biggrin:

I am interested to see if they do some widening of the modern and silver coin area on the impact if they can keep the racer speed and ID as well as a Fisher F19 I will be lining up to buy one :bouncy:

so well done on your testing it sounds like its working for you and that's a good thing testing our machines in what they can do is very important to get the most out of them!

AJ