Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IowaRelic and the Omega 8500

jim tn

I am one that has an Omega 8500. In fact, I am on my 2nd one. Acquired my 1st shortly after the model came out. Loved, and still do, the Omega 8000, so seemed like a natural progression to get a 8500. Traded the first one after about 3 months. Just couldn't get used to the clipped sounding tones. Did feel, though, when set up right for existing conditions it might be a bit deeper then the Omega 8000.

Then, about 2 1/2 years or so ago I decided to give the 8500 another shot. Still was, and to a lesser extent, still am somewhat, indifferent to the clipped tones. My main swing is a Fisher F 75 LTD2 dst, but the Omega series flat out is a fun detector to hunt with. And they really do love coins.....and silver in particular. In fact, eked a 37 Merc. out of one of our old trashy parks this afternoon with the 8500.

In heavy trash and deep target hunting here are the settings I pretty much use. I hunt mainly in the disc mode, but use all metal from time to time when not as much trash. And, it is deep in a m. Anyway, disc 0, I never notch, volume 7, Deep 0, tones d5 (no proportional audio) and typically frequency 1.

With deep 0 and d5 tones I have dug coins near 9" with the 8500 with still strong audio. And it has a pretty rapid target response in heavy trash.

Anyway, like IowaRelic, I would like to hear how others of you like your 8500. HH Jim tn

Jim, what’s your preferred coil on the 8500? I primarily used the 10x5DD on the 8000. I’m hoping the 11x7 will give better performance on the 8500 for me than it did on the 8000. I’m thinking a nel sharpshooter or 8” concentric would be best all rounder.

For both the 8500 and 8000 my preference coil is th 10" concentric. That is its stock coil.....or used to be, anyway. It gets very good target separation, has more then adequate depth, handles bottle caps very well and is light weight and a joy to swing. My 2nd choice is the 5" DD. I mainly old coin hunt and the 10" concentric just seems to be a good all around size with good performance.

Are the clipped sounds exactly the same as when the detector came out ? In other words do you think that Fisher improved that aspect of it since it first came out. I've always wanted to try one because it seemed like a logical upgrade to my 8000 and F5 at the time but the reports of clipped audio kept me from pulling the trigger. In trash I could not stand the F44 I had because of that. I also sold my MX7 for the same reason.
I'm glad it's working out great for you.

df, not sure if as clipped as first ones, but still noticeably so. It gets really nice depth in certain modes and with its various settings becomes a quite versatile detector, but do wish it had the tone of the Omega 8000. HH Jim tn

Yeah, df, thinking more about if much difference then the first ones, I don't think so. I remember thinking upon getting my second one right off that I had made a mistake now x 2. Still clipped tones! I hung with it, though, and tones no longer as noticeable.....but yeah, still clipped. HH Jim tn

Thanks Jim. I know one could get used to clipping after a while but I could never quite do it. I hung in there as much as I could with the MX7 and found lots of goodies but in the end, I just had to part ways with it. After 2-3 hours of incessant noise and having to check lots of targets 2-3 times, I would lose patience. I figure the Omega can't be as bad but I can't count on it.

Mine should be here Wednesday. I hunted the spot today where I think the 8500 will do well. Hunting only silver in a housing development from the 40s. It’s mostly abandoned and is just loaded with aluminum of every variety and clad everywhere. I took the simplex there today just as a fun run. No silver but it shows good capability for what it is. One thing it’s missing that the omegas have is excellent vco audio. One thing I’ve come to really appreciate about the FT stuff. Which is why I went pretty much all in again on Teknetics machines aside from the simplex for this next year.
I could really get the 8000 to hunt using that high vco tone as a form of disc for my ears. Only digging that soft whisper, ID 83 or above, and pinpoint at 6+” is usually silver.

df, you have the 8500 pretty well pegged, and it hasn't changed that I can tell. I am going to give it a good run and then determine if it remains in my arsenal or becomes trade bait. So far, though, it popping some silver out of some tough spots.....and that's all I can ask for. Stay safe, all! HH Jim tn