Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron grunt on deep targets with the F75/T2 etc...???

MrDirtyHands

Hey guys. I've narrowed down my next 'tector purchase to the Teknetics Patriot. (F70 with a new paint job)
I've never swung a Fisher or a Teknetics (40+ year Whites guy) but I've watched HUNDREDS of Youtube
vids over the last 4 or 5 months on EVERY decent machine out there comparing this to that.

My concern is... Most of the in ground depth test vids I've seen on the F75 & T2 using deeply buried dimes etc...
(9 or more inches) instead of a faint but clean tone, they more often than not sound off with an iron grunt. Guys,
I try not to dig "deep iron!" I'm talking here about the F75 & the T2 because the F70/Patriot are not "sexy" enough
for the main "testers" to... Test! (Hunter GT has a great Patriot review. No in ground depth tests)

SO... Do I have deep silvers sounding like deep nails in my future? Is this simply a trait of the F series? (& Patriot)
Am I missing something? Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Dan

I haven't seen much of this, I have gone after a few deeper coins and in normal cleaner areas in multi tone and got no iron grunts...just high tones.
In areas with lots of iron you can indeed get iron grunts in multi tone choices, a masking issue, however if you are in monotone you have a much better chance of getting more accurate high tone info.
Google "F75 Peak Performance" and read what NASA Tom Dankowski writes about the difference between hunting in iron with multi tones vs monotone and see how you can indeed get different behavior when you change tone settings and also disc settings.
Higher disc will automatically change silver to iron tones in some circumstances.
Or just go to this thread...
http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,2251

I hunt in areas with tons of extra iron and I can tell you this masking issue is major here, forget just on deep targets but just about all of them...especially past 2-3" deep.
Add in our normal SE mineralization problems and things can get confusing.
I hunt using mostly all metal or monotone with disc at 1-3 most of the time when I am serious for these reasons, I still use multi tones and even DP from time to time but that is mostly for fun when hunting parks for shallow jewelry and coins.
Here is where I really started to get into monotone.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,2125979,2125979#msg-2125979

On the other hand there is a quirk in the programming that causes very deep beaver tail tabs to sound and act pretty much like dimes with high numbers and some very sweet sounding high tones, (in multi tones).
It has happened to me, (a few 10 inchers), it has happened to many F75/F70 owners in the past I have noticed and read about, maybe on the T2 also.
Don't ask me why they do this, they just do.
Not a huge issue, though, for me anyway because, really, how many times are tabs that deep?

I wouldn't worry much about silver coming in as iron because in my experience using my settings it really doesn't seem to be a thing, once you understand your soil and how the different settings affect your readings you can easily figure out what works best for different conditions that will alert you to the better, deeper treasure.
I think I really enjoy listening for those high tones in the multi tone options most of all but I use all metal or low disc monotone most of the time because it just works better around here.
Worked really well in the much better Kansas and Missouri dirt, also.
I have found my share of deeper silver and other high tone coins and they all had behavior that indicated they were something I should definitely go after and not just iron.

I put a dime at 11” in my dirt and the t2se with detech 13 in boost process will give iron tone. Soil here in Bama is hotter than Iowa. Would have been a faint high tone back home. So yeah soil type is a big part. Keith southern has a video of f75 doing it on a 10” dime.

I was hoping you'd chime in Revier! I knew you'd give me more reading to do too!
You recently ID'd a find from a buddy of mine. (ATAmatuer) It was a penny that had
been stamped with the Free Mason symbol. Good stuff! I appreciate you!!

@IowaRelic ~ Yea, I've seen that vid from Keith. (All of them!) That's one of the ones
I was refering to in my original post. By the way, I couldn't imagine getting a chirp on
a 13" dime here in Atl.!!

If you run your disc up above iron you should be able to keep the iron grunts out, I run a F5 for years now and it gives clean high tones on deep silver.

This is due to not enough signal being returned to make a correct analysis; the deeper they go the higher they read until they wrap-around to iron.
According to Ty Brook (he wrote the Tech Talk column for 30 years for WET) Alabama has some ground so mineralised its almost as bad as Australia's "ironstone."
But I've heard of a iron problem that is specific to the F-75 (does not include the F-70//Patriot); it might be the phase demodulators that read frequency shifts.
You might personal message Cal_Cobra and ask him.
Also email Tom Dankowski at tdankowski@cfl.rr.com and ask---he does answer.