Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron infested lawn. Help!

I am new to the T2 Classic and was wondering if there are some good settings for a iron infested lawn. I can hardly find a spot to ground balance. The house was built in 1890 and has only had 4 owners all being in my wife's family. It has never been hunted before. I am having trouble finding even clad coins in this yard. Any help would be appreciated. HH!

If you can't GB leave it in the preset 90 GB... Reset the machine to make sure your back to factory settings.
Turn the sensitivity down.. Start at 40 work it up as you go...Use the disc as it allows for coin finds . 1890 home may have had a tin roof and you will hit some junk and nails if it were changed out..

If you must use less sens than 40..it will still go pretty deep. I had some success with these settings at old 1800 farm houses..

You can walk out to an area that has less iron and ground balance.
Run the minimum disc.possible 21 is the standard.
Run the sensitivity as high possible, 99 if you can.
Grid and hit small sections,say 15' by 15' from all directions,dig even broken one ways.
If a big iron is present get it out of the area.
Go slow and and concentrate on sounds.

Oh and buy a 5" DD teknetics coil,its like the best out there.

Here is what works for me in bad nails and iron.

Ground balance off site, or use all metal and clear a small patch of dirt of all the iron to ground balance at.

The more discrimination I use, the less tones. If I am pushing the discrimination up to just get coins, then 1 or 1+ tones, it will seperate better than multi-tones.

I usually hunt Discrimination 24 (square nails), sensitivity 40-60 depending on trash, and tones 2+ and occasionally 3 if it isnt too busy in the earphones. For short hunts or end of the day when my ears get tired, I crank discrimination up and move tones to 1 or 1+.

The lower sensitivity seems to make the machine more stable and the tones clearer in the earphones. Even with the sensitivity at 40 I dig 5-6" easily. Some spots I hunt are so bad the coil iron overloads off the ground, by shortening the rod and lifting the coil off the ground slightly (2-3"), the discrimination seems to work better and the good tones pop out of the iron. Sure I loose some depth, but these sections are almost unhuntable if I don't do this trick. These are spots where 6-10 square nail pop out of every plug, yet I still get some good tones out the nails.

Good luck! That 5" coil is great, much more stable and very deep for its size. Great in the iron nails.

Go to Dankowski detectors site and search compilation #1&#2 it is the deal on f75/t2 iron trash hunting.:thumbup:

In a site situation like that with so much iron around the only thing you can do is use the best tool for the job the 5'' coil,that is what it was made for,forget about highly modified setting,until you start using that smaller coil it will be a total waste of time and not fun detecting either.When you have added the smaller coil then i would think like magic it could start producing finds that is of course they are in the ground in the 1st place.

This is why is important to have a small coil in your arsenal,it may look a stupid coil on the detector but boy its deep for its size and if anything good in within the top 6'' or so then the small coil can have a very good chance of nailing it,with the stock coil or larger one you are totally wasting your time.

Yea the 5" coil has no problems with depth,amazing little coil.