Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron, iron, iron...SILVER!

REVIER

Went here yesterday and tried a new method to get through the ridiculous amount of iron at this old home site which is now part of a public park.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?91,2087664

Huge iron, small iron other garbage all over and also about a million nails.
I set the F70 on all metal and amped it up all the way on the other settings, 4H tones in disc was my check and dug any numbers that weren't iron, or didn't jump back to iron on every swing.
Still dug a bit of iron because there are some neat tools and other things I have dug here before, but mostly avoided that.
Really jumpy on everything, bone dry soil and iron and other garbage shallow, mid-range deep, huge, small, next to, over and under most targets.
When you open a hole in the densest area and 5 or 6 nails come out...that's trashy.
Still found a rim lock that all the skeleton keys we find fit into, a cool insurance emblem for a plate or bumper and some other neat odds and ends.

I found some wheaties here in the past but that's about it except for a few modern coins.
At least 3 members from my club have hunted here...once.
One even found a silver dime but I believe all of them gave up after that one time and moved onto easier pastures.

Never give up...Never surrender...my motto.

Went back today, decided to dig a little iron because a lot of it is interesting stuff.
Also I like to dig up pocket knives which are always iron for me.

Still super jumpy, lowered the sense a bit to 90 but not much difference, not one target came in stable like a regular site usually does.
Iron usually always jumps, but even a few zincolns and a couple other things were wacky today.
All that iron everywhere, I guess.

I dig dig some of the bigger iron signals but mostly stuck to my plan that worked yesterday and looked for signals that stayed up in the higher ranges with little or no jumps down to iron.
One target I came across was some iron signals mixed in with a few higher ones into the 30's.
Sounded good in all metal, that time I dug my knife.

Another one had 80's and 90's numbers mixed in with some iron grunts and jumpy back and forth...classic big iron in the ground signal.
However pinpointing showed me it wasn't all that large and I supertuned the Propointer and that said it wasn't big either.
Stood back up and switched to 4H tones in disc and still god some iron grunts, still jumping from low iron numbers into the 80's and 90s so if I went by that it was junk and would have moved on.
The thing that stopped me was the high tone was sweet and pretty repeatable from 2 ways even though there were a few iron grunts still there.
My digging instinct kicked in and I opened a hole.
Supposed to be at 6" whatever it was, a good depth for coins at this site I would think and dug down expecting some kind of small thick iron but hoping for something else.
Got down to about 5 or 5.5 inches and pulled out a beautiful green wheaty.
1928D...alright!
One of the more expensive ones in good shape, too.
Despite the color, this one is pretty sharp.

I stood up and swung over the hole again and got that sweet high tone and a couple grunts and a bit more stable on the numbers in the high 70's this time but still jumpy.
Dug about an inch down, flipped out some dirt and an early merc popped out.
Way cool!
Stuck the Propointer in the hole and got a signal about 2 inches away from where the coins were.
Now I know why I got the iron grunts...a nice size rusty nail.

Dug big iron, small iron and few other cool things
And a bit of trash..

A very good day for me.
Now that I have a method that works I can't wait to go back.

I like mercury dimes, you did well.....congratulations.

Nice finds and especially the write up on how to hunt a challenging location!:please:
Mud

Hombre said:
I like mercury dimes, you did well.....congratulations.

Thanks.
Maybe one day I can find one her one year older cousins.
The ones that came from Denver.

Nice early merc, you just missed that 1916 D..I am still on the prowl for the 1916 D...closest I ever come is a 1919...I also hv an F-70 and I hunt all metal then after awhile I go to 4H...Nice hunt, congrats.

Way to adapt and overcome those iron obstacles. Its always rewarding when you can return to a challenging spot like that and find the optimum settings that help eek out another sleeper amongst the trash...congrats..

Revier,

Fantastic finds in the iron! I am not familiar with how the F70 works. Help me understand how it works in all-metal - from what you are describing you have T-ID on objects and multiple tones? or just T-ID? Thanks - Jim

Another one had 80's and 90's numbers mixed in with some iron grunts and jumpy back and forth...classic big iron in the ground signal.
However pinpointing showed me it wasn't all that large and I supertuned the Propointer and that said it wasn't big either.
Stood back up and switched to 4H tones in disc and still god some iron grunts, still jumping from low iron numbers into the 80's and 90s so if I went by that it was junk and would have moved on.

The thing that stopped me was the high tone was sweet and pretty repeatable from 2 ways even though there were a few iron grunts still there

earthlypotluck said:
Revier,

Fantastic finds in the iron! I am not familiar with how the F70 works. Help me understand how it works in all-metal - from what you are describing you have T-ID on objects and multiple tones? or just T-ID? Thanks - Jim

The thing that stopped me was the high tone was sweet and pretty repeatable from 2 ways even though there were a few iron grunts still there

I had my GoPro with me yesterday at this same site where I found a bunch of junk but on my last signal a very nice pocket knife finally popped up that saved my day.
I will take some time to put together a vid about what I am doing with the F70 at this challenging site and what I look for before I dig.
When I say you will get about a million signals here that is not such an exaggeration...add up all the nails, the big stuff the small stuff the little bits of wire and all I bet that number seems almost reality.
A site like this can tire you out quickly, for sure, if not just physically but mentally too just listening to all the signals and especially that constant threshold buzz which gets to me after awhile.

In all metal you have the threshold tone...constant till you roll over a target and then the tone goes a little higher to alert you to that target if that target is very large and even deep, or smaller coin sized at some pretty amazing depths.
Numbers will pop up on the screen and the tone not really modulated except on the really small stuff.
You get that rising tone on all targets, but take a rusted piece of wire the size of the 1/2 moon on the nail of your pinky at 3-4 inches deep and it sounds the same as a coin at that same depth...the F70 is that sensitive and when they say all metal I believe that really does mean all metal...no matter what size.

If the target is very large or smaller and shallow the volume is pretty loud too, and the quick rising loud tone is very noticeable.
Something big and shallow pretty much screams at you.
Most F series users describe this as a zip-zip sound because that is what it sounds like when making quick passes over targets of this type.

If your disc is low, I usually hunt between 0 and 4 in disc, the F70 will give you a unique tone over iron we call a grunt because that is what it sounds like.
This grunt is there in many of the tone modes you have to choose from, and I tend to use the ones that do because I want to identify iron in the ground as I pass over it and also hear that grunt as an aid in identifying several types of trash.
Rim a bottle cap with the front edge of a DD coil and the high numbers and high tone drops to iron and gives you that grunt.
Very helpful when you get your cues to dig from the audio and the tones and how they sound.

I can cover up the screen and still hunt pretty efficiently by just listening.
Here at this site I used 4H tones as a check which is my usual park hunting settings with 3 tones in different sections above iron, that iron grunt is the 4th, and the nickel targets are changed to a high tone same as a dime or quarter range target and that tone is something I notice very well and even better than the mid range tones.
I always could find nickels well using many detectors but the amount of nickels I find now is actually pretty amazing, not to mention the gold targets at nickel I noticed and found easily with this 4H setting.
I believe the engineers at Fisher are pure geniuses just for programming the 3H and 4H tones option into this thing alone...not to mention that unique iron grunt low tone
In 4H tone check I swing over suspected good targets and listen for any higher repeatable tones but especially the highest tone, silver coins are my ultimate goal at this site.
So much iron here even with some pretty jumpy in the numbers but still pretty solid high tones there is usually the iron grunt in there too, on several passes or maybe all of them.
Here I look for signals that have high numbers on the screen, high tones that repeat somewhat and hopefully high tones without many or just few of those iron grunts.
That was what I got on the hole with the coins on 4H...a nice sounding, solid, sharp, sweet and clear high tone but still a few grunts here and there because of the rusty nail.
The high tone sounded good enough to trigger my digging instinct, and that is what it has become at this point for me after swing the F2 for about 1000 hours and this one for maybe about 100 or close.
I seem to be able to tell the slight difference in tones between a high tone false or ghost given off by something like big rusty iron and actual high tone targets like coins.
I might not be correct 100% of the time but I don't ever know or care anymore about targets I don't dig, and I do seem to dig more than my share of good targets in areas with lots of high tone falsing.
I still dig lots of trash but also leave a ton in the ground nowadays without worrying about it much anymore.

I love the screen and all the info it gives you but I take it all in with a grain of salt.
I am a sound hunter at my core and the many ways that the F70 gives you audio info that can be very informative once you understand its language which I am trying to get better at on every hunt.
Targets at major depth near the end of the scanning field audio info might be all you have to go on most of the time, the screen will actually go blank on any target at major depth so you had better understand all the little nuances and tonal clues the top line F series detectors are trying to give you or some great targets could easily me missed and never dug.
Everything I find at this site that is good at all is thanks to the great way the F70 works and my experience with Fisher's.
Several other hunters I know of in the my area have come here, most if not all have never attempted to come back again after seeing what you have to deal with.
I can't do that...I love a challenge and that merc tells me there might be even more and better targets here to find if a hunter has knowledge of his machine and patience.
I have a lot of the first and gaining more on every hunt, and a huge amount of the second.

Wow Revier thank you for the detailed explanation! A very interesting machine for sure! - Jim