Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron Mask still confuses me.

pinecreekkid

I have tried running my Explorer Se in iron mask around 22 - 26 but it seems like a bunch of jumbled signal's . I still do not seem to have it figured out, I know there is an advantage to using it but I for some reason have a hard time sorting out what my detector is telling me, so I do not use iron mask much at all. can someone give me some advice on how to understand iron mask better. I have read Andy's book over and over on this but I am somewhat still in the dark. I feel that I am not using my detector to it's full potential by not using iron mask. Thank you.

Just so you know "Iron Mask" is nothing more than a given level of discrimination on your detector.
Set the Iron Mask low say -30, and you have very little discrimination, which means you can detect both ferrous(iron) and non-ferrous targets in the ground. Set it high say -16, and you have very high discrimination.
Meaning most ferrous(iron) metals will be rejected, while most non-ferrous targets will be accepted.
Turn the masking feature off or open to -31 and you're hunting in All-Metal mode, no discrimination.
You have the ability to set how much/little discrimination you want with the Iron Mask feature on an Explorer.

Metal in the ground can be categorized into one of two categories: Ferrous or Non-Ferrous. Ferrous metals are attracted to a magnet, while non-ferrous metals(copper/silver/aluminum) are not.
Metal is also categorized by its conductivity: low or high conductors.
Low conductors are nickel, aluminum, foil, small gold items. High conductors are copper, silver, larger(higher karat) gold items, and Iron(ferrous targets).
With an Explorer you have a choice on how you want to hunt for metals in the ground with regards to the tone you will hear.

If your "Sounds" setting on your Explorer is set to "Ferrous", then your high ferrous(iron) targets will produce low tones, and your low ferrous targets will produce high tones. If your "Sounds" setting on your Explorer is set to "Conduct", your low conductors will produce low tones, while your high conductors will produce higher tones

Personally I have been a "Ferrous Tones" hunter for 12 years now and would never hunt in Conductive.

Hope this helps you better understand the "Iron Mask". :cheers:

If you are new to the FBS technology or never used a BBS machine then you should forget about Iron Mask and use the stock coin program. It will easily find deep coins. Use the stock settings only changing the threshold level to suit your ears. Only after a good bit of time on it should you start to change things.

Actually I prefer to see someone who calls them "jumbled signal's" start out with more discrimination, not less. Less can drive you nuts until you learn to ignore most of it. A setting of 22 to 26 would be too much for alot of people.

Many years ago when the XS was first introduced I hunted with a buddie who had a second unit. I was "Shell Shocked" to say the least. All those sounds had me completely confused while my buddie appeared to be a Genious with one. I could not believe how he could tell me what the coin was before he dug it even telling me if it was on edge.

Patience and learning is all it takes.

I now realize that he wasn't a Genious, he just knew his sounds and machine. All those things I watched him do I can now do with confidence.

I hope this helps you,

Jeff

You will get varying opinions on this but if you are a newer Explorer user here's some advice: Don't even worry about iron mask right now.

Everyone has there settings that work best and different sites we prefer to hunt.

I'm a park hunter most often and in my opinion it's much easier to concentrate on higher coin type hits when hunting in conductive sounds than it is hunting in ferrous and open screen.

Much easier in my opinion to hear that deep silver "warbling" through the null (silence) over discriminated out iron or junk than it is trying to discern that coin hit blended in with the other sounds as well which is what you'd be doing in ferrous sounds and open screen.

For me deep coin sounds stick out like a sore thumb and stop me dead in my tracks when i get a good high "coin hit" while hunting in conductive sounds.

I believe I can truly shorten your learning curve as well as cut down on the level of frustration that might pop up.

LEAVE it in the factory preset conductive sounds settings.. while hunting in the smartfind screen for at least 5 to 10 full hunts.

Don't mess with anything for some time. Those preset settings are there for a reaon...and that reason is to help new users adapt to the language the SE speaks.

IMHO the worst thing a new explorer user can do is switch anything at all...especially switch back and forth between conductive and ferrous sounds.

That will completely change what you hear and how you hear it over deep coins....and probably confuse you at this point.

Take your time...swing very slow...and do NOT worry about anybody's settings right now. There is a crucial time frame where you have to spend some quality time with your new friend...the SE...and nobody else. That time is the first few hunts.

Pay close attention to the barrage of sounds you hear...the nulling...the instability...etc...and don't get frustrated.

ONLY 2 things I would even consider changing from the stock factory learning settings which is pretty much a coin program....

1) possibly set the iron mask at -22 on the SE while continuing to hunt in smartfind screen(-6 on XS and EX2).

2) The only other thing I would consider changing would be to put the sensitivity in semi auto and set it at 26 which will GREATLY cut down on the falsing and chirping..

Both of those change suggestions do not even need to be made IMHO...but if you must tinker...then tinker with only those two things.

Everything else....I strongly recomend leaving alone for a few weeks...and leaving it in the factory preset settings.

Do NOT try too much too fast...just have FUN.

These Explorers are more than capable of hitting 8"+ deep coins right out of the box in the factory preset mode.

Once you have quite a few hours on it...and have familiarized yourself with the "language" it speaks...then you can start to piddle with settings if need be.

You might even decide at that point that you want to give ferrous sounds/AM a shot. That is a proven method as well.

For now though...trust me...leave it as I suggested for a few hunts...then when things start to click a little...you can start piddling and tinkering

Of all the things I get asked about through messages...this is the number one thing...and my advice never changes.

I think it's a big mistake for new users to get caught up in what other's settings are and they try too much too fast...then get discouraged and sell the Explorer.

Just take your time...enjoy...and get a "feel" for the explorer before taking big leaps...and the learning curve will lessen a bunch.

After a few weeks or 5 to 10 full hunts...whichever comes first....then start pickin' the brains of everyone on this forum for tips...suggestions...advice...settings to try...etc. This place is a wealth of knowledge and there a ton of talented hunters here who will help you in whatever way you need

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it and will definitely take more time to understand what my machine is telling me, I have had my explore for awhile but I have not used the iron mask setting much at all. I guess I need to learn to walk before I run. Again thanks everyone for the help.