Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron Mineral and Refined Iron

A

Anonymous

Refined iron is conductive and iron minerals is resistive. Silver, gold, and copper are the best conductors so refined iron in comparison is considered to be a poor conductor. The soil is so poor that it is considered to be non-conductive when compared to metals and threrefore resistive.
In all metal IM-16 refined iron will cause the threshold to increase to the low beep tone sound that we hear from the Explorer. Iron minerals is resistive so the circuits respond with a null.
Different manufactures deal with this problem with manual and or automatic ground balance and tracking circuits. In part this is why we have FAST and Semi-auto sensitivity on the Explorer. The basic ideas is to track the soil matrix and return the threshold from the null and not reduce detection depth. If these are too fast then deep good faint targets can be missed. Deep or audio boost is a way to help prevent the loss of detection of deep faint good targets.
The amount of minerals can be measured with a detector so if interested let me know and I will explain. In addition, the tracking and automatic ground balalnce is involved so makes it even more complex. If you want to know more about this then drop me an email so I don't tie up the forum with long technical explanations. I will also explain hot and cold rocks and how to ID them. In some areas cold and hot rocks cause a lot of falsing.
HH, Cody

It's up there as one of the best of the conductors around and it is also very much out there as mostly one nuisance targets that fools a lot of detectors.
Hard Nosed

The alloys are the ones that give us the most trouble in my opinion and aluminum is the worst. If it was refined iron and then pure silver, gold, and copper it would be fairly easy to ID and reject what we don't want.
You described material in your other post that we call clinkers. You can find them where they use to dump what was left after burning coal our using coal for industrial purposes.
A brick is sometimes like a very large hot rock. I have collected a few hot rocks just to have and as you know are rocks with very heavy concentration of iron minerals. Depending on the minerals a rock can be called cold although it still concentratin heavy concentrations of minerals but is only detected if the coil is in motion and not in all metal. They can cause a lot of what is called falsing in some areas of the country.
Anyhow, your post are alwasy very solid with a lot of good information and I look forward to them.
Have a good one,
Cody