Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron null while pinpointing

dgc

Many of you have probably watched the following video. It appears the Etrac nulls out over the nail when in pinpoint mode, yet does pinpoint the ring. This would appear to be quite a useful feature. I know the Etrac will pinpoint iron but in the presence of a non-ferrous object it appears it will null on a nearby iron object and pinpoint the non-ferrous object. If you suspect a good target in the presence of iron, wouldn't this apparent "feature" be useful in determining if you should dig or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aa7HJuWrMg

The only way you're going to even think about going into pinpoint mode is if you got a target that you can hear in normal operating mode. That video only shows the operator putting his machine into pinpoint mode because he knows there is a good target next to the iron. If you're swinging, and you don't hear the target, you're just going to keep swinging without stopping...... It's more important to swing from different angles around your trash objects (such as iron, foil, etc.) so see if you're able to pick up a faint whisper of a signal that you suspect will be a keeper and worth digging...only then would you go into pinpoint to tell you where to start making your plug.

Just my opinion though...

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

He did first detect the ring in normal discriminate mode Dan. I just never knew there was any nulling of iron near a nonferrous object in normal pinpoint mode.I always thought that the detector would sound off on all the metal in pinpoint mode but he clearly pinpoints the ring without any effect from the nearby iron nail.

The determination to dig or not 99% of the time happens before you push pinpoint.

It's not that pinpoint is not sounding off on the iron....it's that the ring was the stronger signal.....that's the way pinpoint works....it will latch/grab onto the stronger signal for co-located targets. If that ring were buried a few inches directly below the nail, pinpoint would latch onto the iron only. Same would hold true for co-located non-ferrous targets....pinpoint will latch onto the stronger signal. I've been able to get iron to sound off in pinpoint mode many, many times. when it is the strongest signal under the coil.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Ok thanks Dan. That big nail just looked like it would dominate in pinpoint mode to me. Yet when he was over the nail in pinpoint mode the detector was silent.

but at any kind of depth not so hot.I have pinpointed nails hundreds of times in close proxemity to coins and other desirable targets.I find the old "Minelab Wiggle" to be the best tool for deciding what is under the coil,with the exception of my digger of course.I have watched quite a few amazing tricks with several top end machines but find infield experiences often differ,Ray.
PS Not to say I don't enjoy watching the test videos and learning new tricks and ideas:thumbup:

I agree with Ray, I never use pinpoint mode, I still use the wiggle to locate my target, that way I can hear the desired target the whole time, so I know I am locating the correct item