Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Iron Preservation

A

Anonymous

Hello; i'm looking for information for preserving smaller iron artifacts found while metal detecting. Any sources out there??

Just be sure to use a VERY low amp; 1/2 amp power source is plenty. David @ Dixie

These links might be of interest:
http://www.hfmgv.org/explore/artifacts/iron.asp
http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/shipwrecks/archives/19980309/messages/9606270372.html

Rob: Recently I have used a iron preserving formula that professional conservators use involving Tannic Acid. About a month ago, I posted an example of a quick release horse hitch that I found and preserved using this method. Tannic acid is mixed with denatured alcohol (20% solution)and is painted on the relic. I believe one of references that Buckram gave you has a discussion of it's use. Tannic acid can be found on the internet or you can buy it at places that sell weaver's supplies. It's a natural dye. The acid chielates the iron and makes it non reactive. The relic usually turns a dark chocolate. It really works and is much easier to do that electrolysis especially on small things. If you want more information send me your email address.
Dave Poche

Thanks Dave; yes i'm very interested in learning the method you are speaking of as I have done some electrolysis in the past with mixed results. My E-mail is by@mchsi.com Again Thanks!! Rob

Rob: I don't think you sent me a complete email address there has to be someting before the @ symbol. Be happy to tell all I know about the process and how to make the solution.
Dave