Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IRONy

Golden Eagle

Had a couple of hours to spare today so I thought I'd take the XP Deus to a field nearby for my 2nd time using it. I knew the field would be trashy due to it being used for the last two hundred years or more for village parties, open markets, dog shows, etc... I've learned as a new user a trashy area isn't a good place to start but with my limited time I figured I can still learn a little more over the Deus even in a trashy place. I was in Basic One mode and sure enough the moment I stepped into the field the noise began. I set Disc. to 30 and lowered the sensitivity a bit but still everywhere there was something in the ground. I only choose to dig up those VID's and sounds that were stable at all angles and high. Unfortunately, even doing this dug up only trash. The ground mineralization was around 80 and I pumped to ground balance. At some point I got tired of digging up trash and since it was really hot and the ground was compact as a brick I decided to go home. Just then I hit a hard and loud target that was deep and large. Coin balls/caches have been known to be found in this area so I couldn't let this pass one by. The VID was a constant 91/92. So I began to dig and dig and dig. Luckily I had my trusty Fiskars Shovel with me which made the job much easier. So about 19 inches down my Garrett Pointer Pro goes nuts on a big piece of ground in the hole. The VID readings are still at 91/92 as I passed the coil over the hole. After an hour and a half of digging with my shovel and trowel what I finally pulled out was.... (drum roll).... an old corroded shovel head! I really had to laugh! Was it worth it? You bet! I really had a good time with this one. But I still can't figure out why my VDI values were so high because once I got it out of the ground and placed my coil just above the shovel it grunted like the iron that it was. Is there anyone reading this who can explain this phenomena to me? Because when I raised the coil in the air above the shovel head about 12" the VID went back to 91/92. Huh???

So much to learn... :blink:

And I'm looking forward to it! :lol:

Rob: A California Yankee in Queen Beatrix's Court

That is classic iron falseing at its best. Fools almost all machines. Try raising you coil over the ground next time a foot or so. If you still getting a signal its BIG. Falsing iron will give tell tale signs as well. Just takes time and experience.

Thank you Bart for your reply! I also called you yesterday over advice concerning the Garrett AT Pro vs the AT Gold and you really helped me knowing that there was no financial incentive for yourself. I put a good word for you in the Feedback Forum as you deserved it! If anybody in the U.S. has metal detecting needs, Big Boy Hobbies in Oklahoma City who will match or beat anyone's price along with super personable service, is a great choice!

Rob: A California Yankee in Queen Beatrix's Court

4khz is also a good way to check, 4khz does not like iron. The horseshoe readout is a dead give away.