Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is a software update required out of the box?

silvercoinboy

I know my new Fitbit watch (Ionic) needs a firmware update before it will work.

Anyone know if that will be required for the Equinox?

From the User manual:

Software Updates
EQUINOX Series detector
have the ability to accept
software updates via USB and
XChange 2 (Windows or Mac
OS compatible).
Visit www.minelab.com for up-
to-date EQUINOX Software and
installation instructions.

NO, none needed "out of the box." If there were, there'd be pitchforks! That was the whole reason for the "delay" -- tweaking things last minute to get it "just right." No reason to have delayed, if they would require immediate, known updates to be necessary...

Steve

silvercoinboy said:
I know my new Fitbit watch (Ionic) needs a firmware update before it will work.

Anyone know if that will be required for the Equinox?

From the User manual:

Software Updates
EQUINOX Series detector
have the ability to accept
software updates via USB and
XChange 2 (Windows or Mac
OS compatible).
Visit www.minelab.com for up-
to-date EQUINOX Software and
installation instructions.

Are you serious?

I suspect that there was a code or special number you got with the Fitbit that would allow you in to access the update? This may be to discourage theft of a smaller item like that,it would be an “activation” thing I would think? Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve not heard of that before.
When ML is speaking of “updates”,they are talking about stuff in the future that may need to be added or tweaked for whatever reason,but not to initialize it.

IDXMonster said:
I suspect that there was a code or special number you got with the Fitbit that would allow you in to access the update? This may be to discourage theft of a smaller item like that,it would be an “activation” thing I would think? Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve not heard of that before.
When ML is speaking of “updates”,they are talking about stuff in the future that may need to be added or tweaked for whatever reason,but not to initialize it.
Good thinkin.
One thing that drove me nuts when we only had dial up was anti virus pgms. Just sold you a disc with almost nothing
on it. Ever tried getting something big with dial up ? PIA !

For registering 20 days ago you’re going to run into some serious resistance by disrespecting valued members of this forum. Because many people who metal detect are older and not the most computer literate,it would be a huge mistake to have to go through an update to make the machine work...some of these guys who you’ll never hear from don’t even OWN a computer.
Rather than assuming there’s a problem with the machine,and that’s why it’s taking so long,it may also be a consideration that Minelab simply wants to be SURE that testing was done as properly as possible so that we as users wind up with what we are expecting...another great performing machine.
The most serious detectorists pay ALOT of attention to the forums during the time when they cannot hunt due to weather or other reasons. This is why I and others seem to be everywhere. We are. Gaining information,sharing information and LEARNING about detecting in every way possible is how we are able to do well in the field.
If you are sour on Minelab and it’s practices there’s really nothing anyone can do. It’s just the way they are and from what I understand,always have been.

What box?........ i dont think they have put them in a box yet.:rofl: No pushing or breaking line... hurry up and wait. Who would mind if they had to update with the latest version? Sounds like a fast way to ship um to me. Well...... i guess some of you really really ole guys that dont have computers, internet, cell phones or credit cards lol.

IDXMonster said:
For registering 20 days ago you’re going to run into some serious resistance by disrespecting valued members of this forum. Because many people who metal detect are older and not the most computer literate,it would be a huge mistake to have to go through an update to make the machine work...some of these guys who you’ll never hear from don’t even OWN a computer.
Rather than assuming there’s a problem with the machine,and that’s why it’s taking so long,it may also be a consideration that Minelab simply wants to be SURE that testing was done as properly as possible so that we as users wind up with what we are expecting...another great performing machine.
The most serious detectorists pay ALOT of attention to the forums during the time when they cannot hunt due to weather or other reasons. This is why I and others seem to be everywhere. We are. Gaining information,sharing information and LEARNING about detecting in every way possible is how we are able to do well in the field.
If you are sour on Minelab and it’s practices there’s really nothing anyone can do. It’s just the way they are and from what I understand,always have been.

[size=medium]Excellent post. I couldn't have said it any better. Wise words, bro![/size]

chuckciao said:
Why do the words UPDATES and MINELAB leave a bitter taste in my mouth?

Ha, i know exactly.. Looking at you CTX..

As far as updates go, I am hoping this delay is all because of a software problem.. I am thinking they will do it before we get our hands on it, but hey, near the very end of the manual they say it hooks up to xchange so maybe we would have to..

Sorry if this is already been mentioned. I skipped to the end and didn't read the lengthy posts in the middle