Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is An Old Dirty "V" Nickel Better Than A Shiny Merc ?

miserman

I hunted a grove of trees next to an old country church that in the past has given up 5 Indian Heads and several Wheats. After 3 hours of hunting with the F75, my finds for the day were the 1944 Merc and the 1906 V Nickel. The Nickel is probably in the best condition (environmentaly) of any that I have ever found. I kinda like it more than the Merc......Thanks for looking
000_1189.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a darn good looking DUG v nickel. The F 75 is a pretty good nickel finder and I find a goodly number of nickels, mostly newer era, throughout the year. I find a lot more Mercury dimes, though, then I do v and buffalo nickels combined and most are pretty toasted. So, year, I am with you! I'll take that v over a Merc. (Excluding a 16 D :big grin:) HH jim tn

Yeah, I'm going with you guys on the V nickel although that Mercury dime is a nice find also. The good thing is you don't have to choose, you found both, nice hunting miserman.

jim tn said:
Yeah, that is a darn good looking DUG v nickel. The F 75 is a pretty good nickel finder and I find a goodly number of nickels, mostly newer era, throughout the year. I find a lot more Mercury dimes, though, then I do v and buffalo nickels combined and most are pretty toasted. So, year, I am with you! I'll take that v over a Merc. (Excluding a 16 D :big grin:) HH jim tn
I agree jim tn ,I find about 5 Mercs to every V or Buffalo Nickel. The Mercury Dime has been very kind to all of us coin hunters. As you state, most nickels are pretty toasted,so this V Nickel is an unusual find.....Thanks for looking

They are both great finds but I'm always biased towards shiny silver coins. The merc is one of the most beautiful coins ever conceived and the other is a significant piece of history.

With a [low] mintage of 1,476,490: in Good-4, which is maybe the best condition you can hope for in a dug coin, rates around $563.
And there are others that will go from a low $1+ range up to 2 figures and still one more, the 1912S an even lower mintage of 238,000 [and underrated] that will bring $184.
So finding a "glory hole" full of them is not, too shabby. :bouncy:
Do you know the story of the rarest V Nickel the 1913P?
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/e6/b8/bde6b81d595ed90f7c4a1c4967049c88.jpg
A mint employee Samuel Brown, slipped into the mint one night, after the V Nickle has been superseded by the
Buffalo, and ran off 5 (five) of them. He supposedly traveled around the country and would give them out telling people "you might want to hold on to that one,"
Four of them are accounted for and the last time one sold it was for $4,234,798. The 5th ones location is unknown.
The next time you decide to pass up a nickle range target, give it a second thought.....who knows, you might get lucky...it could be.....gold. :heh:

:detecting:

You have both, enjoy them. Unique or unusual finds always have a way of holding good memories.

Rich

I have often enjoyed some of the old coins and neat small artifacts from groves and other old-use areas near churches, old school sites, early-era picnic areas, etc. If it is a brushier area I trust you used a smaller-size search coil? If you hunted with the stock coil or other mid-size to larger-size coil, I hope you have a 5" or other smaller coil to get back there and hunt it some more. Might be a few more good keepers left to wrap up the end of 2019.

Monte

I hunted a grove of trees next to an old country church that in the past has given up 5 Indian Heads and several Wheats. After 3 hours of hunting with the F75, my finds for the day were the 1944 Merc and the 1906 V Nickel. The Nickel is probably in the best condition (environmentaly) of any that I have ever found. I kinda like it more than the Merc......Thanks for lookingView attachment 23
Man I was thinking silver all day long but after seeing that nickel, I'll take the nickel