Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is Canada Open For Metal Detecting?

Pretty well.....federal park hunting is forbidden, as are designated historical sites. We share the same laws as the UK......all relics belong to the government, so, you could still get in big trouble hunting trading posts. Some Provincial Parks may refuse metal detecting.

dan b said:
I've been doing it for almost 30 years. Never had a problem.

Ok, I'll bite: What about what John says ? Certainly you turn in all your relics to the government. Right ? :rolleyes:

If you've "never had a problem", then that probably means you didn't ask enough bored govt. pencil pushing purist archies. Shame on you.

I’m a coin and jewelry hunter. Relics don’t interest me. So if I found some rusty old chunk of something historically significant I would have no problem forking it over to the bureaucrats.

Lenmcgold said:
Is Canada like England? Or is it more 'Metal Detecting' friendly?
Thanks Len Mc

Canada is VERY metal detecting friendly. As John from Edmonton has stated, historical sites are "off limits" to metal detecting. Some provincial parks do allow metal detecting, so check with the park warden prior to going. To clarify one part of John from Edmontons post, we do differ from the UK laws! We do not share the same laws! So with that said, all relics do not belong to the government. If you find a relic from the war of 1812, while on private property (you cannot hunt historical parks), it is yours for the keeping.

You're using an assumption of the definition that a coin or jewelry isn't a "relic". And yes, that's typically the definitions used by md'rs. We differentiate in our vocabulary along those lines. However, I'll bet that if you went to a purist archie, he'd define coins too in the category of "relics". I mean, let's be honest: If they're digging a pit, and find a gun part, or lantern part, and a coin, you can BET they'll hold the old coin in the same class/category , eh ?

So if I can find an archie to agree with the semantics, and assuming John is correct, will you now go running to the govt. with each old coin you find. Right ? :blowup:

Paulie said:
.... Some provincial parks do allow metal detecting, so check with the park warden prior to going. .....

Does a park need to have an express "allowance", in order for md'ing to be practiced ? What if it's merely silent on the subject ? Ie.: neither expressly "allowing" nor expressly "forbidding". If it's not forbidden, then presto: It's not dis-allowed.

Why would someone need to check with the park warden ? That might be swatting hornet's nests and risking a "safe" answer (because he passes the "pressing question" up the chain to a purist archie, blah blah).

That park warden would presumably base his answer on existing rules, right ? Eg.: a rule or code or law that says "no md'ing". If so, then why can't an md'r merely look up the park rules for himself ? If nothing there said "no md'ing", then presto, it's not disallowed, eh ?

Not to worry though Dan. Just box up all your md'ing finds and send them to me . I will make sure they get to the proper authorities. And will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No .... don't thank me .... it's the least I can do for a fine forumite contributor like yourself. :)

Tom_in_CA said:
Not to worry though Dan. Just box up all your md'ing finds and send them to me . I will make sure they get to the proper authorities. And will absolve your conscience of all guilt. No .... don't thank me .... it's the least I can do for a fine forumite contributor like yourself. :)

:crylol:

Regarding Provincial Parks, in Ontario, a formal permission from the park superintendent is required in order to legally detect in the park. The park regulations actually say something to the account that when giving the permission, the superintendent should inform the detectorist about the areas where detecting will be allowed / forbidden and other rules regarding the finds, non-disturbing others and so on. The best is to get the permission ahead of time as the super may not be there when you just show up. Call or email. I never had a problem getting a permission. I did have problems what I was detecting in one of the parks without a permission.

Most cities are detector friendly (Toronto) or indifferent Mississauga), but some may require some club association or forbid it outright.

Many years ago I was sent to Boston for school for my Government Job and going home I wanted to go by way of Canada north of the Lakes when I entered Canada the border inspector seen my detector in the trunk and he had a fit I hade to promise it wouldn't be taken out of the trunk and used in Canada as he could lose his job He said every thing in Canada Belonged to the government and it was un lawful to detect in Canada the law must have really changed since then I know lots of people that detect up there DFXDon

Many years ago I was sent to Boston for school for my Government Job and going home I wanted to go by way of Canada north of the Lakes when I entered Canada the border inspector seen my detector in the trunk and he had a fit I hade to promise it wouldn't be taken out of the trunk and used in Canada as he could lose his job He said every thing in Canada Belonged to the government and it was un lawful to detect in Canada the law must have really changed since then I know lots of people that detect up there DFXDon