Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it just me...? AT Pro/NEL Storm setup

Bulldog84

Is it just me is anyone having issues with their AT Pro and NEL Storm coil setup? I'm a pretty new detectorist with a over 100 hours in on the AT Pro, but I'm committed and have come a long way. I hunt in pro mode. I've had great results with my Garrett 5X8 coil and feel that I can really hear the little nuances of most targets.I was getting MUCH better at hearing what junk was VS a coin... you could just hear it.

Anyways, I'd heard so many people praise the NEL Storm with the At Pro that I thought I'd give it a try. Great depth, separation, etc..
It's very possible I'm doing something wrong so bear with me, but here's the deal-

-Chatty. I auto ground balance with sensitivity at half way and then go up after it balances. I've tried using all of the four different frequencies. Coil wire is wrapped high enough around shaft, not too close to coil to cause interference. I also reset the machine every time I change coils. Batteries are new. Always beeping and chatter.

-Sound. Bad targets sound pretty good. Hard to distinguish. Bottle caps sound like coins and coming up from high 70's-87. Maybe this is normal for some people, but on my 5X8 I'd see them between 77-79.

-VDI #'s. They all just seem off in general.

* In terms of sensitivity, if you come down from wide open, do you lose depth or just how far the coil broadcasts out?

If it's just more hours that I need on it then ok, but what have your experiences with this setup been like?

I use the NEL Sharpshooter with grand results, but have not tried the Storm. My thinking on larger then stock coils, even DD's, is they are best suited for less trashy spots, like open fields, woods, and the like. I have many places that are just to trashy even for the stock 11" coil. They just see to many targets in m h o. HH jim tn

I have and use both the NEL Storm and SharpShooter almost daily and each is its own beast! The Storm is only amazing when you're in a low trash area and I mean its super sensitive so you will get target masking in high trash areas. If you're in a field or clad shooting it rocks and can't be beaten. hands down. The Sharpshooter is for high trash areas where the storm is "seeing" too many targets at one time. I love love love this setup and think it will run with all the 1K+ detectors out there hands down.
Let's say I come to a new old foundation first I cherry pick with the storm then go back over the area with the sharpshooter nice and slow I have found some amazing historical and cool fun items this way.

I may be speaking out of hand here, but in my limited experience to large coils, it seems that the larger the coil, the more susceptible to EMI they are.

So, it might be the EMI itself is causing not only the erratic signals, but affecting the Target ID as well.

Lastly, when you were testing it, your cellphone wasn't anywhere near, was it? My cell can interfere with my machine regarding ground balancing.

Hope this helps

I forgot to add, the Storm is very sensitive so much so that power lines and wireless signals I can hear with my AT Pro and Storm coil :) Someone sends a text yup I can hear that as well. With this coil, you have an almost new machine so it going to take a new learning curve. Also, make sure you have the Storm for the AT Pro and not AT Gold they are not swappable due to different running freq's. This is one of the reasons when you get the coil there is a little card attached saying to only GB at 4 bars the coil is just too sensitive to outside EMI?EMF