Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it safe to buy a used detector?

yogaguy

Hi. I am interested in purchasing my first detector. I have done alot and heard alot of good info. on detectors, and have decided on a minelab quattro. The new minelab quattro is going for about $850.00, but I have found one on the internet from a dealer who is selling a minelab quattro for $550.00. It has no warranty, which I expected, but otherwise they say it's in excellent condition. It comes with the standard 10 inch coil and a coil cover. Thank's for any advice. Randy

Y'Guy, detector sales guys are honest. Many snows ago I purchased a used
White's Eagle SL II. I used it for 10 1/2 yrs til I upgraded....NO trouble.

Dealers especially are good to deal with as they have a reputation to uphold and some of them even will even warrant for a short period. Many trnasaction go on day after day with very little problems. Myself ask a lot of questions and usually seal the deal on the phone. If you are going to save a lot might offset the warranty but to save a little buy new as detector repairs can be expensive even though most units run well for years...

It's all according to who you buy from. There is some good people on here to buy from. Dan PA is one of the best. He's a very honest person.

Mike

It is usually safe to buy a used detector as long as it is not too old. The problem with detectors manufactured before 1990 is that the electronics will dry out and crack. Capacitors will leak voltage. The newer detectors built after 1990 with surface mount technology are much better. Be careful about old detectors on ebay. Hope this helps. Happy Hunting!