Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is it the machine or me? analyze mode

seaweednh

I just got the V3 and tried it out in a park. I got good solid signal but when I used the analyze function the probability % was very low. So rather than do a lot of hard digging, I took it to the beach. Same thing, but it was easy digging, dug up a lot of clad. Ok, so today, I took it out in the driveway where I air test all the detectors (had a few lately) Laid out a gold ring, thank you Excalibur II, penny, quarter, dime, nickel, and a sterling cross. Each one showed the proper target but the analyze screen was giving probability reading between 2-30% and the graph at times was laid out flat. If I pulled the toggle back and then tried analyze again sometimes the graph would be better for the same coin?

Vary your sweep speed and make sure you go over target dead centre. If you sweep to fast or slow for how it is set info will be out.

When should I be switching it to analyze mode. I've taken it off the target and then sweep it over. Should I switch above the target? and how many sweeps should it take? I know I should just go outside and practice but its raining again... and the wife is home She was dead set against me buying this machine.

Regards,
Ron

Swing the coil away from the suspected target, switch to analyze mode, wait for the change in threshold, then slowly swing back over the target a couple times.

Personally, I don't care for the analyze mode much, and have always thought the probability percentages were very low.

The sweep speeds in analyze mode seem to be preset very slow, much slower than search swing speeds. The preset for most (I think maybe all) of the programs is 2, which means that the graph will try to display all of the data that it sees in 2 seconds of sweeping. This would suggest that you should swing at about 1" per second dead center above your target for the best pinpoint. Really slowing down helped my analyze graph to show more consistent results.(correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is what the manual seems to say and it helped my screen accuracy immensely)

If you go into the expert menu under pinpoint, you will find that you can adjust "Rate" under sizing (default 2") and "Sweep Speed" which allows you to adjust how long it will take for you to swing over the target. I would think that swinging slow and really letting the coil spend time over the target would increase the likelihood that the machine would be more accurate. (not sure on this?) You can also use single sweep or not. I use single sweep, but sweep multiple times. I know my sweep isn;t always accurate and so I'd rather be able to tell when I totally blew it and not have that impact my other readouts.

The most useful aspect for me of this function hasn't been VDI %, which does seem to vary most in analyze mode, but is rather the ability to swing at 90 degrees and begin to estimate size and shape based on the width of the camel hump. I use the bars in pinpoint mode to determine dominant frequency because this is easier for me to use and does two jobs at once that I like to do on every find...know the dominant frequency and pinpoint accurately. If, after this step, I still feel "iffy" about the target, then I go into analyze mode.

The village idiot,

Nugget

dave5710 said:
Swing the coil away from the suspected target, switch to analyze mode, wait for the change in threshold, then slowly swing back over the target a couple times.

Personally, I don't care for the analyze mode much, and have always thought the probability percentages were very low.

I will have to agree just ignore analyze mode and probability % . It will only ad to the confusion and they are not that accurate at depth any ways.

I had some free time to play with in the driveway and yard. Read the manual over again as well. It's starting to work like it suppose to, or I'm starting to use it like I'm suppose to! Given some more time and a little experimentation I'm sure I will really like this machine.

Thanks again,
Ron

Great news! You just saved yourself $25 in shipping and a week of suffering and misery without your detector.

Tater

Taterhead said:
Great news! You just saved yourself $25 in shipping and a week of suffering and misery without your detector.

Tater

Tater,

You guys are overpaying for shipping. I use Paypal and get the 40% shipping rate.

I may still send it into White's for the upgrade, this is the original Vision. I won't be lonely without it for a week. I'm only 3 miles to the beach and love my Excalibur II. Plus I still have the DFX.. for now.

Regards,
Ron

IMHO, I find that the effort to raise a good enough signal in order to get an accurate analyze reading isn't worth the effort. If I can't get it on the first few sweeps after centering my target, I don't bother. The audio gives an accurate size profile when Ratchet is off, and trigger is pulled back.

Thats a great tip on the shipping...and you don't know the half of the overpaying. I shipped a box with two detectors overnight! This is because I have to have them back in time for a detecting vacation to the desert. $100 anybody? It will be worth it to save the va-cay if we can get them back in time.

Whites, while simultaneously working on the machines is also sending some good tips on depth related things, which is awesome! I will post a couple of things that have come through from them tonight. Its stuff many experienced people already know, but it might help some of us newbies that are having trouble striking a balance with our machines.

Tater