Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is Spring Break a dud for anyone other than me?

Steve from Ohio

Every year I head down to Florida for the annual spring break to detect the beaches and the water for all the bling that is dropped in the water.

This year it seems that Spring Break is not as popular as it was in years past.

I have noticed that due to either the cold weather and cold gulf water, or the economy, there was almost no one on the beaches and more importantly almost no one in the water. The water temps are at least 10 degrees cooler than normal and the cold weather has few people on the beaches and if they are they are wearing winter coats.

I've heard that Daytona beach has lost some of its luster as the place to be for spring break. The complaints by spring breakers of condos on the beach with the old people who own them complaining about people on their beach. I went to Daytona and the water was colder than normal and there was quite a few less people than normal even for bike week. Picking were slim and no one was in the water. Two days of detecting and all I found was one small gold ring and a bunch of clad. The beach at Daytona seems to be a lot smaller than in the past. Looks as if the hurricanes of a few years ago have taken its toll of the beach.

Anyone having any luck with spring break where they hunt?

Hunting is not fun when you go all day and all you have to show for it is a hand full of pennies and clad.

Most likely several factors are involved this year..... This has been the coolest year in Florida since 1980, (actually a blessing... try being down here in July/August/September and it is brutally hot. Florida is the only place I have ever been where you can sweat taking a cold shower during the summer). The economic downturn has effected nearly everyone, hence there is less money for people to travel here and just party for a week or two. Reports are that many tourist towns are way below what they should be booking for this time of year. As far as the schools actually being closed for spring break, it depends on the county. You will find that schools will be closed in one state, or even another county in Florida for a week and the adjoing states/county's schools might not close for another week or even two. So you have to do some research to see which areas are going to have the most people for whatever time of year you plan on coming. Of course there are certain parts of the state whose beaches are packed throughout the year regardless of when spring break is. The final factor probably is that I cleaned that whole area out the week before you came down...just kidding of course:laugh:

Just my taxed .02

Well no wonder I cant find any gold on the beach, you found the one gold ring that was there ! I hit Daytona Beach nearly every day and pick up some clad, found a nice watch yesterday but there hasn't been much to find and everyone is looking. If you've been down to the pier or the Ocean Deck in the morning I am sure you have seen me. I have searched all over the beach from the Ponce Inlet lighthouse all the way to the Bandshell and haven't found what I would call a good spot yet. Only saw 1 day where it was nice enough to get a bunch of people on the beach and that was the very first day of spring break. Since then it has been cold, windy, rainy or all of the above. Wish I knew something good to tell you.

Well I found gold down on the SW coast, but headin to the condo on the E coast for a few days, so I'll let ya know... keep your fingers crossed...

There all in Mexico. My daughter and son are in school.

I hope people are staying out of Mexico, with all the drug lord battles going on all over down there. I think they all came to Texas to leave me, and my hunting buddies little Bling laying around. Boost my early retirement up. :detecting:

its just to early to hunt our beaches in fla,neptune hit it right on the nail with his post above..imo..:clapping::detecting:
the only thing i can add is all you boys from up north are down here competing for what little stuff there is out there too..
in a few weeks when all you boys are home and temps stay constant well write and post what weve all found since you all left..
hh
john