Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the 5x8 coil a vastly superior coil for shallow targets in trashy parks?

Pookybear

perhaps the 5x8 is lest affected by EMI interfearance and pinpoints much better?. I dont yet have a 5x8 coil for my AT pro and have been using the large stock coil.When I tried to use the normal custom mode the Detector goes ape.When I put it in the normal coins mode it settles down quite a bit but I am getting signals on the ends of my swings and I am not lifting the coil on the ends of my swings. Also pro coins mode acts up as well. Are all of the pro modes hyper sensitive?

Sounds like sensitivity is too high and yes the 5x8 is superior in trash. About all I use any more.

In trashy parks shooting for shallow clad and jewelry I typically run Pro Custom, Iron disc at 32-33, Iron Audio on, nothing else disced out and sensitivity three to four bars down. If the good targets aren't deep you really don't need all that sensitivity, like driving in the fog with headlights on high beam.

I've used my new 8x5 coil twice now [from Bart's Big Boys], and while I haven't experienced "vastly superior" separation yet [the situation hasn't presented itself], I do sense a more "focused" or intense or more detailed response to some targets that I might have let pass with the larger DD. I don't know, just something in the signal/vdi that told me: "you might want to explore this target more". It's hard to explain....And I like its weight!

Sailorman said:
Sounds like sensitivity is too high and yes the 5x8 is superior in trash. About all I use any more.

In trashy parks shooting for shallow clad and jewelry I typically run Pro Custom, Iron disc at 32-33, Iron Audio on, nothing else disced out and sensitivity three to four bars down. If the good targets aren't deep you really don't need all that sensitivity, like driving in the fog with headlights on high beam.

Great advice here, I too am looking for more taget seperation at those trashy sites. The 5X8 coil does that well.

The sniper coil might be even better, but you get very little coverage area, of course.

Big Boys Hobbies said:
The pro modes are much more sensitive! I LOVE the 5x8 coil, never take it off!

Far superior to the stock coil in trash.:garrett:
Lighter ....
Better balance.....

For trashy areas the 5x8 is better and nearly as deep as the stock coil(in my ground). To avoid EMI first try the frequency shift (there's 4 slightly different frequencys) then if necessary reduce sensitivity to quiet it down.