Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the CTX still a viable detector?

PhDtector

With the newer detectors now available should anyone really buy a new one now? I detect mostly mild black dirt. (forget price, just how good are they?)

Last edited:
They still have a insane resale value......apparently people still think so.

I just acquired another one after selling mine five years ago

The best deep coin machine I've ever used. I still own one along with an Equinox. CTX is my land hunting machine, the Equinox is my water hunter.

There’s no problem ”buying a new one”, but there IS a problem getting ripped off and paying full MSRP. I bought mine brand new with all expected accessories (not some stripped down budget option) for less than 2K 4 years ago from a well known dealer. From my own experience...milder soil will produce even BETTER results than what they are known for in the first place. Viable? Of course! Viable for everyone’s wallet? Not exactly.

Yes (simple answer).

Long answer: I have had my CTX since it debuted on Memorial Day 2012 and it has been with me through thick and thin, brush and dirt, water, mud, snow, and everything in between. It is the best coin machine I have ever owned, and pretty good at relics too. If she ever dies on me, I will immediately buy another one. There is no comparison to how well the CTX hits and accurately identifies coins at depth.

Yes (simple answer).

Long answer: I have had my CTX since it debuted on Memorial Day 2012 and it has been with me through thick and thin, brush and dirt, water, mud, snow, and everything in between. It is the best coin machine I have ever owned, and pretty good at relics too. If she ever dies on me, I will immediately buy another one. There is no comparison to how well the CTX hits and accurately identifies coins at depth.

Amen! And to the last two sentences in particular!

Pretty much agree with all the other posts.
In mild rich (black) dirt, you're going to be really hard pressed to find any better coin machine.
Minelab nailed it with the FBS / FBS2 technology.
And when you combine the CTX 'smart screen' info with target trace and pinpoint trace, it's still a pretty amazing machine.

The ability to simultaneously see multiple targets under the coil makes it an excellent detector. (y)

I've tried many after I got my CTX on the day of the original release day. I have to honestly say it's still my favorite detector.

I find more coins with the ctx over the etrac-- I hate the ctx because it will not tell me what is clad and what is silver.

12 45 can be a silver dime or a Memorial. 12 46 can be a clad quarter or a silver.

If I'm in a hurry and want to cherry pick-- etrac; if I want to vacuum a site, ctx.

I find more coins with the ctx over the etrac-- I hate the ctx because it will not tell me what is clad and what is silver.

12 45 can be a silver dime or a Memorial. 12 46 can be a clad quarter or a silver.

If I'm in a hurry and want to cherry pick-- etrac; if I want to vacuum a site, ctx.

It actually has a very good “tell” about silver...but you HAVE to use 50 tones. Combined won’t tell you squat, just that it’s in the ball park. In 50 tones, silver will go to CO 47 MUCH of the time with a dime, 48 on a silver quarter.... even when very deep. Just what I’ve seen.