Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the Deus comapable to an explorer

diggingFx

I'm thinking about joining your ranks.. Me and the explorer have had some great/incredible finds but i wouldnt mind mingling a bit. Any explorer/dues users that could give me some comparisons? The dues appeals to me because of it's lighter weight and wireless -ness...thanks in advance

Depends on the type of hunting you do.
In a site with modern trash , you'll wish for the Explorer just like I opt for the etrac.
At the end of the day you'll wish you were swinging the Deus.
Both have their high points.
The Deus is a refreshing break.

Alright, Deus user here and ex etrac user, and currently CTX user. The weight is different and the balance. The Deus won't ID coins at depths like explorer. The Deus is hotter on low conductors at depth, than explorer. The Deus will separate better in iron than explorer. Deus doesn't mind hotter soil and explorer does well too. Actually Deus may do better in the real hot vs Explorer. Overall depth, on high conductors Explorer wins, on low conductors Deus wins. On long days of hunting your shoulder and arm wins with Deus. For relic hunting Deus wins. For coin hunting in semi clean to clean ground Explorer wins. Your going to notice sweep speed is less critical generally with Deus vs Explorer. Also getting maintenance support for Explorer may be difficult to obtain in future vs Deus. And yes the Deus does use rechargeable batteries vs explorer.
The Deus can be charged in the field though using a pack or the field charger XP offers as an accessory. I wish you luck in your decision.

I hunt in high trash urban areas. Have used the explorer for years, love that machine. As I am older now I really apprciate the lightness of the deus. The wireless backphones I really love because I hear the tones fine but also can hear around me. In high trash areas I find many more good targets with the deus. Its faster reaction time really separates the good from the bad. The explorer is masked by close iron or aluminium an you do not hear the good targets. Explorer is a little deeper but the amount of targets you pickup with the deus negates that.

I sold my Etrac shortly after acquiring my Deus. My issue with the Etrac was of course weight (which I hadn't really focused on until I had a Deus in my hands), and the fact that it didn't like Iron trash areas as it would basically just "stall" our over a carpet of old nails etc. like you might find around the site of an old burned building.

For me any loss of depth isn't an issue as I haven't perceived that I am missing anything due to depth issues. Oregon was settled in the late 1800's and so doesn't have the amount of targets at extreme depths as some other areas of the country that were settled hundreds of years earlier...most of my recoveries whether with an Etrac, Whites V3i, or Deus are at depths of 7-8" or less which I believe is within the parameters of the Deus with not problem.

I find the Deus very easy to configure, its weight is a dream come true, and the sensitivity seems superb, as I have found bb size targets at 7" that banged hard.

I agree that in ground clear of iron trash that there was no easier machine to run than my etrac, if you passed over a coin, it literally screamed out, but again I am talking about what most posters would deem to be shallow targets....

I am very happy with my decision to switch to the Deus for a multitude of reasons, but gotta admit I long for the simple "dig me" sound of the Etrac on some days....

If I had a choice when purchasing a Deus(which I didn't) I would choose the 11" coil. I have both and the 11 seems smoother and with the speed of the Deus, you can get great target separation ....Good Luck

Some of the things said above are true but ,
If you know your Explorer then you will know how to deal with iron sites , go into Ferrous tones or the nearest thing to two tone Ferrous on the E.Trac . Without having my Explorer in hand I cant remember how to set it up but I have done in the past .
The Deus is a lot lot lighter and you can swing forever .
But the tones are different , it wont give the 2 sets of numbers that the ET or later Explorer's give. You can use a smaller coil in iron than the smallest 9in on the Deus .
The Deus is faster recovery but the Explorer is meant to be used slower .
I don't have any trouble digging high or low conductive targets with the ET/Explorer or the Deus , the Deus may well find some smaller or very small Gold a bit deeper but would you know its a possible Gold or just a blip of the machine, "sounds are different "
On Beaches if you search them then the Explorer will trounce all over the Deus unless on dry then its more even if you know your machine.
As for the servicing of the Explorer , it depends on if you have an XS or if you have the 11 or SE ? only the XS is not serviced by minelab now , the others are .

On the whole it depends on your land that you search whether you need to buy a Deus , if you need to lower the weight then buy a Deus if not then you could stay put unless you want a new challenge.

You can also get an RNB battery pack that has upto 35 or even more hours of charge in it before charging that takes 2 hours so that would stop you worrying about charge for days of searching .

Or even better you could have both machines like me, and the ET too.

I own both the E-Trac and the Deus and use both. I am slowly moving toward using the Deus more often but I still like the tones of the E-Trac a bit better. The E-Trac makes it easy to hear those deep keepers. THe Deus can go just as deep but the tones are different. I do like having both the FE and CO numbers on the E-Trac, although the Deus does have both FE and CO on the display it is just done differently. Instead of a FE number like the E-Trac the Deus uses the "horseshoe" icon to tell you whether your target is iron or not.

As has already been mentioned, once you swing a Deus it is very hard to want to swing anything else.

The Deus will stomp the E-Trac all day long on gold. The E-Trac does OK on gold rings and such, but, at half the depth of the Deus and the Deus will hit hard on even the smallest bits of gold.

In my opinion, the perfect detector would be a combination of the E-Trac and Deus.

I do like the expl. I have never had an etrac though. A friend of mine has and etrac and we've been out together twice since I got the deus. We've compared a lot of signals and both have hit all compared except one. I had a deep signal that sounded great one way and a little choppy the other. Tone was great, numbers jumpy but to me it was a no brainer to dig. Buddy could hit it with the etrac but said he probably wouldn't dig. It turned out to be a 7-8 in. indian head with some iron in the hole. The explorers take awhile to learn, tones , numbers, but once you get them, you don't forget that sound. The same is with the deus, once you learn it , it gets easier. Heck I learn something new each time I go out. Good luck on your choice.

No, it really is a different machine and way lighter than any of my Minelabs. With my 11" coil it goes plenty deep and is very good in iron...where the Minelabs null out. You will have to pry my Deus out of my hands to get it away from me!!