Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the Deus II fast?

Calabash, it is true you use detectors that you have selected and feel worked the best for you in your types of sites and in your types of ground ground and trash conditions. That's What everyone should do and I can assure you I do that myself.

Yes this is the Deus Forum, or really the XP Forum, and includes the ORX which I have owned and used the past few years.

Am I somewhat 'old school'? In a way, but I am also up on the higher-cost models and have owned and used them if they worked well for me in the site environments I typically hunt.

You brought up the Apex on this XP Forum so I responded. I found it to be a good detector and work well for me mainly in my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting environments. For my 'get-serious' Relic Hunting tasks in the very ferrous-challenged sites I like to hunt, I have three other detectors that are great at unmasking, one of which is my XP ORX.

Also, I have stated that some reviews of the Deus II impressed me enought that even though I don't dive or swim, I plan to get a Deus II.

Monte

Monte, you're buying a Deus 2? And Adding that to the other new SMF coming out right now? You and I both know those are a poor (At best) fit for your personal preferences and hunting style. Knowing your feelings about SMF, I am stunned to see you standing in queue to buy them.

Go figure.

i think the Deus 2 is going to fit nicely with my Deus and 800. My sense is that it may become a favorite.

Cudos to folks like Calabash for taking the time to record, edit and post these videos. They are helpful. He gets beat up for not testing things the way you and others would have, yet i don't see those quick to criticize out there with a GoPro or smartphone posting any videos with a different perspective.

Rich

Monte, you're buying a Deus 2? And Adding that to the other new SMF coming out right now? You and I both know those are a poor (At best) fit for your personal preferences and hunting style. Knowing your feelings about SMF, I am stunned to see you standing in queue to buy them.

Go figure.
Yes, Rich, and a lot of the reason is your fault, and that relates to the time and effort you have put in and commented about regarding both the EQ-800 and Deus. As you know I tend to prefer 'simple' .... but I also want 'functionality' and 'performance'.

Remember I had, and currently still have, an XP ORX that provides some of the Deus-like performance that I do enjoy. There's a number of detectors I am thinning out of my outfit to make room for both The Legend and Deus II, and I hope to be ready to use the both by springtime. Then, like you have done, I plan to use them each and learn them both to know if they have a place in outfit or not.

As OregonGregg mentioned to me on the phone, if The Legend doesn't seem to be a fit it will be new and he, or I, won't lose much on a sale. Honestly, at this point I hope it provides something of what I might want or need, but I don't see it rivaling a Deus 2.

I used to use SMF detectors quite a bit, such as CZ 6 and CZ 5, BBS Sovereigns and FBS Explorer II's and an SE Pro version. They worked well at many of the urban sites that were wide open, but the majority of my detecting like 85% was at ghost towns and similar old sites that contain a lot of ferrous debris and those don't work well for those Minelabs.

I had some Vanquish 540's and an EQ-800, but for various reasons they didn't appeal to me for the urban detecting I need to start doing more of. Howevet. Garrett's Apex did/does and the weight and balance work well for me, plus I also have my ORX

i think the Deus 2 is going to fit nicely with my Deus and 800. My sense is that it may become a favorite.
Good idea and that allows side-by-side comparisons. I look forward to your comments.

I might hang onto my ORX , but might need to sell it to make a move and still afford the Deus II w/9" coil.

Cudos to folks like Calabash for taking the time to record, edit and post these videos. They are helpful. He gets beat up for not testing things the way you and others would have, yet i don't see those quick to criticize out there with a GoPro or smartphone posting any videos with a different perspective.

Rich
These crazy cell phones are enough to keep me busy figuring them out so I don't have a GoPro camera. Matter fact other than the one on my phone I don't have any camera . And getting around with a cane since March of '93 keeps 1 hand occupied while the other works a detector.

After I make my next move I plan to have my youngest son, at 40, help me out to do some videos. For now I have watched a lot by different people, but my favorites are those by Gary Blackwell.

His videos, and the encouragement and comments I have had from you, Remfire, and now the 'White's guy, Brian, got me thinking about the Deus more. But with what I see about the new Deus II from XP, I am finding it more appealing, even though I will never be taking it into more than 1" to maybe 7" of water. I just like the looks of the D-II, the button design, and the way it is laid out, and the performance of the basic General program.. plus it starts in 3-Tone.

I like the 5 main models in my outfit, or 6 if I count the ORX, but I am open to something that might give me a performance edge.

Monte

Last edited:

Go figure.

Rich
Rich-----Montes getting all caught up in the furor of the moment! :)------You want simple---the Deus 2 ain't no Bandito.

Rich-----Montes getting all caught up in the furor of the moment! :)------You want simple---the Deus 2 ain't no Bandito.

Del,

In some ways, we all get caught up and enthused about 'progress'. I do for sure. But I am reluctant to cast aside things that have been working well for me. Over the years of detecting, I've accumulated my own preferences for search rod styles, buttons, tones, toggle switches, display screens, battery covers, menus, arm cuffs, and all the rest.

Of all the detectors I've owned, I've spent the most time researching the Deus before i decided to buy. Literally years. I had purchased, read and highlighted both versions of The Deus Handbook by Andy Sabisch, read and re-read the owners' manual and followed a few key users that posted on forums, all in an effort to understand more about the machine and its' capabilities. I didn't want to jump in and buy on a whim only to be disappointed with reality. We've all seen some of that.

So here I am, some 3 or so years later, all queued up for the purchase of a Deus 2 as winter solstice nears. I'm a fan of the Deus. I like what I see with the Deus 2. Apparently there are more people that just me interested in buying one and giving it a go. Seems the line is long. Coupled With the world wide supply troubles it could be a long wait. We shall see.

Rich-

Not that this means anything but if you watch the video in 0.25 speed on YouTube you can count the beeps, I counted 6 one time mostly 5 and 4 but as an added bonus you can make Calabash sound drunk.:ROFLMAO: I've ordered mine regardless of his drinking problem.

Del, I'm not caught up in anything except the wait-time to get my Deus 2 w/9" coil.

I have watched maybe 4 different videos of people sweeping over a series of coins and pointing out how fast the response-time is. Problem with each is there are fewer 'beeps' than there are coin targets. I'd like to see a slower sweep speed to isolate each of the targets and hear one audio hit for each coin. My 'Test Sample' is 7 nickel-size tokens in a 12" stretch and I'll check the Deus II on that to see if it can match my models that produce 7 hits on 7 tokens.

Otherwise, as UtahRich stated, I like what I see with the Deus II. I am in my den right now sorting all the detectors and excess stuff I am parting with as I down-size .... and I am referring to both trimming the models I have as well as moving to smaller, lighter and better balanced.

Monte

My problem with you is this Monte....What you say about the Apex is totally opposite of what I found in testing the Apex against the machines you mentioned. So ..... I am calling BS! I also film my test results and show it to the world. IMO your stuck in the old treasure hunting magazine days when they reviewed ALL detectors in a positive light no matter what the results were.... I am sorry to say those days are over my friend.
I know you hold weight with a lot of people because you been doing this a long time but to be honest after the Apex comments you made I have no faith in your detector reviews.
BTW this the Deus forum
How do you review or test a machine that you have absolutely no field time on? I almost spit my coffee out watching you reviewing the f75,with a crumpled up piece of paper in your hand that somone sent you settings on.. LMAO you had no idea how to even turn it On. Shame on you calabash for talking to Monte like that, your a bully

Last edited:
Monte go down to the head to head forum and look at the nail test I did with the gold coin.... Show me a detector in your stable that can do that and them we willl talk...Oh yeah itwill also do it with a 11 INCH coil. This detector is a no brainer for a ghost town hunter. Monte you need to get all your front seat and back seat detectors and take them down to your local pawnshop. WHILE you still can get a few dollars for them . In about a month you will not be able to give them away. :yikes:

Hey Calabash,

i think Monte is going to have a difficult time parting with some of those old favorites of his; he has a lot of fond memories tied to them from the old ghost towns out this way. Super trashy - massive amounts of decomposing tin along with the thousands of square nails from the burnt / collapsed old buildings. If you take an inventory of detectors used out this way, most of the younger guys (which isn't me) are sporting detectors like you see below in my signature, or similar. Some prefer some of the older tried and true.

I've worked hard on being a bad influence on Monte for a number of years now and getting him using the newer SMF / Deus detectors, and he's just not sold. Guess that makes me a lousy salesman. In his defense, due to health reasons he's having a much more difficult time getting out with regularity and for any significant amounts of time where he can run a detector for hours and hours, digging hundred of targets and so forth. But the fire of testing new detectors and putting them thru his own regimens still burns in him.

As for me, well, I like my Deus. Some say the Deus is too complicated to set up. Well, I've been detecting a pretty long time. I can figure it out. Of course, I don't mind reading an owners manual either. A buddy of mine that is an XP dealer met me at a local park and let me have a go with his. Loved the audio. Loved the balance and weight. I prefer S rods. It was a wow, I'm impressed moment. Wasn't long till I had my own.

Still, Monte has more years of ingrained personal preferences than i do. He's always favored that high performance (in his ghost towns), high value (no fluff) detector that just gets the job done. Knowing that, picturing Monte with a Deus (1 or 2) or other fancy SMF detector, just seems like fingernails on a chalkboard. But, I think he's determined to have a go with both the Deus 2 and the other SMF soon to be released; just because.

As for the front seat or back seat detectors he drives around with, I expect they'll stay there for the time being.

Appreciate the time and effort you put into your videos. Good luck with being a bad influence on Monte.

Regards -

Rich (Utah)

Hey Calabash,

i think Monte is going to have a difficult time parting with some of those old favorites of his; he has a lot of fond memories tied to them from the old ghost towns out this way. Super trashy - massive amounts of decomposing tin along with the thousands of square nails from the burnt / collapsed old buildings. If you take an inventory of detectors used out this way, most of the younger guys (which isn't me) are sporting detectors like you see below in my signature, or similar. Some prefer some of the older tried and true.

I've worked hard on being a bad influence on Monte for a number of years now and getting him using the newer SMF / Deus detectors, and he's just not sold. Guess that makes me a lousy salesman. In his defense, due to health reasons he's having a much more difficult time getting out with regularity and for any significant amounts of time where he can run a detector for hours and hours, digging hundred of targets and so forth. But the fire of testing new detectors and putting them thru his own regimens still burns in him.

As for me, well, I like my Deus. Some say the Deus is too complicated to set up. Well, I've been detecting a pretty long time. I can figure it out. Of course, I don't mind reading an owners manual either. A buddy of mine that is an XP dealer met me at a local park and let me have a go with his. Loved the audio. Loved the balance and weight. I prefer S rods. It was a wow, I'm impressed moment. Wasn't long till I had my own.

Still, Monte has more years of ingrained personal preferences than i do. He's always favored that high performance (in his ghost towns), high value (no fluff) detector that just gets the job done. Knowing that, picturing Monte with a Deus (1 or 2) or other fancy SMF detector, just seems like fingernails on a chalkboard. But, I think he's determined to have a go with both the Deus 2 and the other SMF soon to be released; just because.

As for the front seat or back seat detectors he drives around with, I expect they'll stay there for the time being.

Appreciate the time and effort you put into your videos. Good luck with being a bad influence on Monte.

Regards -

Rich (Utah)

Rich----Monte isn't driving around with detectors.-----He said he is home from the hospital now and in a wheel chair and also uses a walker.-----He obviously still has an interest in detectors & detecting though.---------Del

Rich----Monte isn't driving around with detectors.-----He said he is home from the hospital now and in a wheel chair and also uses a walker.-----He obviously still has an interest in detectors & detecting though.---------Del

LOL, I know that Del, it was figuratively speaking. Monte has always talked about having his selection of detectors ready to go on the front and back seats of his trunk/van/car - along with totes full of accessory coils for any needed quick change.

And I'm sure he's reading this murmuring my name under his breath. :rant:. Get well soon Monte.

Del, hope the weather is treating you both well. It's cold here. ☃️

Looking forward to spring.

Rich -

Del: The therapists at the Rehabilitation Hospital were reluctant to OK my release unless I have a wheelchair to help get around .... when my strength and energy start to give out with my walker. So, to make them happy I bought one, and when I get fatigued it is handy.

But they all know I am pushing myself to be back to using a cane by spring. Been relying on one since March of '93.and I am making progress. I'm hoping the two transfusions I got the day before Thanksgiving came from a couple of young, active folks and it could be a positive influence on me.

UtahRich: I used to use a lot of "upper-end" detectors, such as the Challenger X-100, XLT, Explorer II and SEPro, F-75 and T2 plus in their early years, and right up to the Anfibio Multi, dabbled with an EQ-800, and enjoy the mid-priced Garrett Apex for some urban hunting tasks.

I am no stranger to up-line devices as long as they work for me.

After watching all I could find from Gary Blackwell and a few others, I am convinced the XP Deus II will make a good 'fit in my detector outfit.

To a degree it is a partly your fault..
. Thank You.

Monte

Last edited:
Get well Monte I did not know you were having such a rough go of it.

Del: The therapists at the Rehabilitation Hospital were reluctant to OK my release unless I have a wheelchair to help get around .... when my strength and energy start to give out with my walker. So, to make them happy I bought one, and when I get fatigued it is handy.

But they all know I am pushing myself to be back to using a cane by spring. Been relying on one since March of '93.and I am making progress. I'm hoping the two transfusions I got the day before Thanksgiving came from a couple of young, active folks and it could be a positive influence on me.

UtahRich: I used to use a lot of "upper-end" detectors, such as the Challenger X-100, XLT, Explorer II and SEPro, F-75 and T2 plus in their early years, and right up to the Anfibio Multi, dabbled with an EQ-800, and enjoy the mid-priced Garrett Apex for some urban hunting tasks.

I am no stranger to up-line devices as long as they work for me.

After watching all I could find from Gary Blackwell and a few others, I am convinced the XP Deus II will make a good 'fit in my detector outfit.

To a degree it is a partly your fault..
. Thank You.

Monte
Get well soon, Monte. Use what suits you. Calabash doesn't hunt with you, so he doesn't know what works on your sites.

Get well soon, Monte. Use what suits you. Calabash doesn't hunt with you, so he doesn't know what works on your sites.
Thank You, and trust y me, I am working hard with the Physical Therapists to get back to my normal by springtime.

Taking advantage of my down-time to do more research on detecting sites that might work for a 2nd WTHO (Welcome-to-Hunt Outing) this year. We have had 13 WTHO's from our 1st in 2015 to the 13th last year. All but one of them has been to ghost towns in Nevada or Oregon, and we h ave seen some very impressive finds made. Attendance has varied from 15 to just over 25 participants per outing.

I have and use my proven dedicated detectors to handle the unmasking and very dense ferrous debris, and this year I'll also be using a Deus II w/9" coil and see how well it works.

Monte

Go figure.

Rich
Ditto I'm doing the same why own 10 subpar detectors??? Hope you heal quickly Monte
Mark

Ditto I'm doing the same why own 10 subpar detectors??? Hope you heal quickly Monte
Mark
Nope, no need for a sub-par detector .... and none of my 5 are. No such thing as a 'perfect' detector so my 5 favorites will complement the Deus II very well

Monte