Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the Golden uMax all analog? Other thoughts too...

So I was reading Chris's "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero" e-book for any Tesoro owner'" and he was talking about the differences between digital and analog machines. He seemed to indicate that machines with multiple tones use some digital processing of the analog signal, and I was wondering if that was true of the Golden uMax?

I was out yesterday at a school practice field and was amazed at the discrimination on one of the finds. I got a nice clean high tone signal, proceeded to recover and dug up an old rusty bolt, thought... The rusty bolt must have given off the high tone, but I decided to recheck the hole anyways and low and behold, a copper penny was still in the hole. On another dig, I found two quarters in the same hole with two pieces of aluminum foil.

Finally found my first nickels! I set the machine with the notch off, and adjusted the tone/notch width to make the nickel give off a quakie duck kind of sound, sort of a combo of the two middle tones. Problem is, aluminum foil that has been balled up or flattened will give the same sound and where I was searching, there was a lot of this, so I was trying to discern some difference and came across a signal that just sounded less harsh, and said to myself, this could be a nickel... And it was. Did the same thing about ten minutes later. So, need more practice, to learn the subtle difference in sounds.

I am getting pretty decent depth with the golden. I know that this machine has its limitations in this department and that I shouldn't expect too much. I did find a clad dime at about six inches yesterday, and there were at least two signals I stopped digging after eight inches down. They were high tones and I figured if I still hadn't recovered whatever's 'twas after eight inches, it was probably an aluminum can lid (found a couple of those at this site already).

I am having fun, have found about $9 in clad so far in about four outings, and I am glad I made this purchase. I know that the uMax has a factory set ground balance and this can effect depth by a few inches. But my machine is somehow PERFECTLY adjusted for my area :smoke: (how it got that way is another matter).

After reading Chris's book, I want the Tejon! I was actually thinking about it before purchasing the uMax, but some of the complaints I read on theForum about its chatteriness scared me off. I will wait to see what the new Cazador will be like before making my purchase, or maybe not.:detecting: