Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the nox any good in really bad...

In ground where most VLFs can only achieve a few inches depth before IDing or discriminating things out as iron, the Equinox can punch down to around 9 to 10 inches on a dime with decent ID. A dime at 8 inches will give a stop you in your tracks clean and clear signal on it, whereas you have to work a little to get the 10 inch ones. But we are talking the kind of dirt that will shut down a CTX to just 5 or less inches. I think that is extremely good. It is one of the deepest VLFs I've been able to use for disc mode. Now in comparison to say an F75 in all metal mode, the F75 will go deeper with audio only...the ID will be iron though, meaning the actual disc mode depth would be much less than its all metal counterpart. If the Equinox had a true threshold based motion all metal mode, I feel it would be the deepest VLF I've ever used, bar none. For relics and low conductors, the depth is much better. I've got a 13 inch nickel buried in my yard...Equinox nails it no problem. You can get down to 11-12 inches on a Civil War minie ball. The 8 to 10 inch ones are easy to get. The 11 to 12 inch ones, I have to run open disc and get them centered just perfect in the coil to get a proper tone. This again, being in really bad dirt. A machine like a GPX will still go deeper but the Nox can go places the GPX can't.

Is this in multi-freq or single freq? Thinking of selling my Infinium and getting a nox. I don't really have any "bad" ground here, but have friends who live in East TN and they've told me I can come down and look around their places.

I have played around with a lot of in-ground targets, and have yet to find an instance where the single freq excels over the multi freq.

I am also in East TN btw.

My 600 couldn't detect a signal on two of a hunt buddy's 6" wheat pennies during a park hunt yesterday. His SE machine had a sweet tone in at least one direction. My Equinox, running the basic Park1 program, was silent, all the way around where the target had been marked pre-dig. It upset me the first wheat, but the second missed tone, and then seeing that second coin pop out, really bothered me.

Depth on the Equinox here in Texas has NOT proven positive with the Nox, BUT six inches??? Most all mid range detectors can be counted on to hit six inches.

5900_XL-1 said:
My 600 couldn't detect a signal on two of a hunt buddy's 6" wheat pennies during a park hunt yesterday. His SE machine had a sweet tone in at least one direction. My Equinox, running the basic Park1 program, was silent, all the way around where the target had been marked pre-dig. It upset me the first wheat, but the second missed tone, and then seeing that second coin pop out, really bothered me.

Depth on the Equinox here in Texas has NOT proven positive with the Nox, BUT six inches??? Most all mid range detectors can be counted on to hit six inches.

Had you altered any settings? Did you try Park 2?

5900_XL-1 said:

Something is wrong. I think Park and Field 2 are a bit deeper than Park 1 but you still should have hit a 6" wheat in Park 1. Did you GB? Lots of EMI? Keep testing in different areas and if you can't do any better than what you described I would send it back. Good luck!

Dean

dbado1 said:

Something is wrong. I think Park and Field 2 are a bit deeper than Park 1 but you still should have hit a 6" wheat in Park 1. Did you GB? Lots of EMI? Keep testing in different areas and if you can't do any better than what you described I would send it back. Good luck!

Dean

I am going to run iron bias at 0 in Park1, like Park2, next outting. These literal 6" deep wheats weren't totally flat, maybe on edge in fact. Point is, the Nox would have missed them.

There was another signal we compared with the Equinox which the SE was picking it up. I didn't pick it up running Park1 in discrimination mode, but was able to squeak out a dig-able signal by going all metal. These weren't textbook targets at 6 inches, the SE tones were sweet though. Man! It would be sweet if the Nox could emulate the SE's warble.

5900_XL-1 said:

"Curious with this" I live in North Texas and the 600 has hit me a couple of old wheats and silver dimes well below 7 inches in our soil here west of Fort Worth and surrounding areas it hits my 8 inch dime in Sandy soil at my Test garden with the dime being buried well over 7 yrs this is in Park 2 in park 1 it is a not so clear tone now in Field 1 it hits nice and Field 2 it hits nice

BarryL said:

"Curious with this" I live in North Texas and the 600 has hit me a couple of old wheats and silver dimes well below 7 inches in our soil here west of Fort Worth and surrounding areas it hits my 8 inch dime in Sandy soil at my Test garden with the dime being buried well over 7 yrs this is in Park 2 in park 1 it is a not so clear tone now in Field 1 it hits nice and Field 2 it hits nice

Thanks. I just need do work with it more. My machine was hitting an 8" silver dime in sweet baseball field coin in east Texas. That was before I bought it from my friend. My Etrac hit it but nothing stellar. I have found 6" coins with it though, just missed getting a detection on the SE's found signal that day. I suppose there's a method to the Equinox waggle I could be missing.