Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is the X-terra gone?

bulletman

Just saw the release of the Vanquish yesterday. Surely, it will replace the Go Find series and wonder if it will affect the X-terra line? Looking at the Vanquish, I see no settings for ground balance on any of the 3 machines. It does appear that it is an entry level detector - and just wonder how "good" this machine will turn out to be?

Bulletman

Shalom

The Xterra isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Both the Equinox and the Vanquish are multi-frequency machines, and there is still plenty of room for a proven single frequency detector in the lineup.

Nope, not going anywhere!! I own 4 of them and they all work super fine! Probably most likely going to be the last machines I will ever own. They do the job! Very satisfied with my finds!!

HH All

Emmett

Surprised there isn't a forum on here about the Vanquish .

As for the Terra , i think the Terra will be replaced by the Vanquish . It seems to me that dealers here in the UK are clearing their old stocks of Terra's and even the ET and Safari have gone in some places and the ET is only sold in stock at 1 place now.
Minelab did say as i recall that they were only going to bring out multi freq machines from now on . Single freq machines are obsolete !! Tell that to my Nox when going under pylons in multi freq !!!

I will miss the Terra but it is an old machine . If the Vanquish could have been like the Terra 705 but multi freq i would have bought one but as i have heard that it will be like i doubt i will go near it.

Anyway there are other machines in the pipeline that i want to see first before deciding .

Neither the Nox nor the Vanquish have a dedicated "Prospector Mode", or the overall user configured flexibility of the 705. And until they come out with a new machine that does, I don't see the Xterra going away.

Old Longhair said:
Neither the Nox nor the Vanquish have a dedicated "Prospector Mode", or the overall user configured flexibility of the 705. And until they come out with a new machine that does, I don't see the Xterra going away.

The Gold modes on the Nox are prospector modes and have high frequencies.
I think the Terra's will go. Minelab hasn't the production space I think.
It happened when the CTX came out. The Explorer and Sovereign's went.

Time will tell. I thoroughly enjoy my 705 and also own one of the very first X-terra 30's. The 30 is just a very basic X-terra however, it still is a joy to use. Often overlooked is a major attribute of the X-terra line is the Sound of the Tones that they make. The tonal sounds of the X-terras are very pleasant to listen to compared to other detectors from other manufacturers. They are not overpowering to the ears and doesn't sound like a raspy buck grunt like most other detectors. This may sound trivial to some, but I have sold other detectors primarily due to the lack of tone quality. One detector that comes to mind is the CZ line up. The high coin tone of that detector hurts my ears to a point that you have to lower the volume drastically which may cause you to miss some deep targets. The AT Pro series of detectors tone qualities are the worst in my opinion. Seems that Garrett put in circuitry that is very cheap and produces undesirable tones or beeps. The old GTA and GTI series of detectors had a pleasant tonal quality, and they should have stayed with that sound circuitry. Just some trivial thoughts, but the sounds of the X'terras are very pleasing. Most of the time, I'll pick up the 705 to hunt.

Bulletman

Shalom

Old Longhair said:

Hi Old Longhair,

I really respect your opinions and knowledge concerning the X-Terra Series. I have owned the 705, 505 and still own one of my first detectors with a screen, the XT50 which I will never sell. I like it that much! I have used the XT 705 for gold prospecting in the desert southwest USA and in Colorado with very limited success.. To be honest, the only mode on the XT 705 that I really like is the prospecting mode. The discrimination modes on the 705 to my ears and experience are not significantly better than on the XT50.

So, you are correct that the Equinox 800 gold modes are not like the prospecting mode on the XT 705 which is fairly close to a threshold based all metal mode which is why I liked it. The Nox Gold modes are definitely hybrid modes with some aspects of classic threshold based all metal mode and even more features of the Multi IQ discrimination modes. That is where the XT 705 falls way short when compared to the Nox Gold modes in the gold fields.
The Nox is capable of giving me threshold based all metal mode depth while also providing much more valid information about prospecting targets than the XT 705. I have been very successful with the Nox 800. It is an outstanding gold prospecting detector even for very small gold nuggets and flakes that the XT 705 could not possibly detect.

I was a little miffed when I realized that the Nox 800 did not have a true threshold based all metal mode and saw that as a potential shortcoming. Now, after using it in the Colorado and Arizona gold fields I don't miss it at all. The Nox 800 is my first choice VLF gold prospecting detector and believe me I have used most of the gold prospecting specific VLFs.

As for the 705 having better "Overall user configured flexibility" than the Nox 800 OR 600 I could not disagree with you more.........in my opinion, after several years with the 705 and a year and a half with the Nox 800 and 600, there is no contest. The Nox has far better user configureable flexibility.

Jeff

Heres what I found with my very first X-terra, The 30, in the first 2yrs of detecting with this machine!!! It's even better now with the 705 and a 15inch DD 3kHz reaper coil!!!!!!!!! Thank you Randy for all the advice!

Barber Half 1893
Barber Half 1899
Walking Liberty Half1934
Massachusetts Cent One Cent 1788
Seated Liberty Twenty Cent 1875
Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar 1928
Washington Silver Quarter 1951
Washington Silver Quarter 1943
Washington Silver Quarter 1964
Washington Silver Quarter 19450
Washington Silver Quarter 1934
Seated Liberty Half Dime 1853
Seated Liberty Half Dime 1843
Seated Liberty Half Dime 1853
Seated Liberty Dime 1875
Seated Liberty Dime 1876
Seated Liberty Dime 1883
Barber Dime 1912
Barber Dime 1912
Barber Dime 1914
Mercury Dime 1917
Mercury Dime 1942
Mercury Dime 1944
Mercury Dime 1925
Mercury Dime 1945
Mercury Dime 1920
Mercury Dime 1944
Mercury Dime 1942
Mercury Dime 1941
Mercury Dime 1916
Mercury Dime 1943
Mercury Dime 1941
Mercury Dime 1925
Mercury Dime 1942
Mercury Dime 1937
Mercury Dime 1923
Mercury Dime 1943
Mercury Dime 1927
Mercury Dime 1940
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1959
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1956
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1947
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1964
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1950
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1962
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1964
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1955
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1946
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1951
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1952
Roosevelt Silver Dime 1959

Yup, They ain't goin' nowhere!!

HH ALL

Emmett

Dont get me wrong . I love the 705.
I used the 705 and others from 2011 till mid 2017 and found £9850 in coinage and 14 Gold rings and around 100 Silver gems and i still feel its the best for tones and numbers for coins out of the Nox , Terra and i think Vanquish when it comes.
But the Terra is old and it will go i feel. Its just a pity the Terra couldn't have been made multi freq and put into the Vanquish box . Or maybe they have ? We'll see . But i doubt it . Its likely to be a mini me to the Nox and thats a pity.

They are made in Malaysia.
Its more about cash flow.
(I think the Sovereign's went because everything is chip built-and they could offer performance and more features on easier made digitals. Explorers superceded by improved digitals.
And the Sovereign was first released in 1989; by industry standards its ancient. While the Excals are much the same the market
and demand still has them produced, profitably.)

If the X-terra is gone from Minelabs line up that’s fine,doesn’t change the performance of the machine..I love my 705,and in my opinion it’s better than 99 percent of what’s out there for me...Just because Minelab and other companies come out with newer tech that just makes it different,,,but not necessarily better for everyone...I click with the 705 and find coins and cool stuff all the time..It’s almost too easy.lol..Ive bought and sold a lot of machines,trial and error.....But i always come back to the 705 like so many others .

Yes, the 705 is a great machine. The other X-terras in the line up are equally fun. Just wish they were water proof but, we can't have it all. LOL

Bulletman

Shalom

You are very welcome Emmet. I always enjoy sharing my thoughts with those willing to listen. :detecting:

Damn, I love those seated half dimes. HH Randy