Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is there any feature on the 800 that you can't live without which is not on the 600?

A few things, perhaps.

#1 issue for me, is that the 'adjustability' or 'resolution' of the settings are much finer on the 800.

The ability to manually choose a noise cancel channel on the 800 is nice in areas with horrible EMI.

Having a User Profile on the 800 is very convenient.

Until the 2.0 update the backlight was intolerable on the 600, but it's fine now. (Thanks, Minelab.)

If you don't need the gold settings, it's actually faster and more convenient when scrolling though hunting modes with the 600.

I've got both, and don't feel terribly handicapped when using the 600.
As I stated earlier, really the #1 advantage of the 800 is the ability to 'fine-tune' the adjustments.
The other things are minor in comparison.

Overall, I think the 600 is a great value.

The Nox 800 Gold modes use a form of VCO audio. For those who are used to VCO audio for prospecting or relic hunting like me, it is important. VCO audio can tell me a lot about a target, even when it is digitally manufactured and filtered quite a bit like on the Nox 800. I have tried hunting for relics using the Nox 600 in 2 tones and of course it worked just fine after I got used to it. The 600 will also get by as a gold prospecting detector in Park 2 or Beach 1 also in 2 tones. But I still really miss the immediacy of VCO audio however, especially for gold prospecting which is why I have a Nox 800 too.

Jeff

The 800 doesnt just have a finer control of settings, it has an expanded range compared to the 600. Also, the wm-08 and the headphones that come with it mean I dont have to worry about whether or not a set of aftermarket phones will pair to the detector.

Sure, the vast majority of 800 users could switch to a 600 and never miss a beat. But for the small price difference, I like having more options.

If you fish, I equate the Nox 800 to a variable speed trolling motor vs the Nox 600 to being a 5 speed trolling motor. Both will get the job done.You can get more fine tune control out of the Nox 800 but does it really mean the difference between missing something and finding something? I'm not so sure. The reason I got the 800 was the fiddle/play with the Gold modes and the backlight control. With the new update, it gives you control over the backlight on the 600 now. The gold modes were not what I was hoping they would be, so for me, I use the 800 the same as I did the 600. The audio bin adjustments are too complicated to do (for me) so I just leave them where they are. I much prefer the CTX method for adjustments like that...the software tool is the bomb for it.

The ability to program the CTX with a computer was great. Tone bins and Volume control done easily. Would love to see more of that. I really don't like the duel purpose buttons. Button labels on a sticker? Multi language sticker packs? How about just selling 5 English stickers in a pack here in the US.

Now

Well, I had a Nox 800 , sold it , regretted selling it, then bought a 600.
There’s no difference in how I use the 600 vs the 800 because
I don’t like too many setting options. For the same reason, I
bought a XP Orx instead of a Deus. All I want to do is select a mode,
Sensitivity (?and frequency in the case of the.Orx) I did buy a
used wm08 module for mini headphones, and full size
BT phones which I like but not in every situation.
Quite the combo the equinox and the Orx.

I have the Equinox 600 and I like Daniel Tn analogy of fishing. Instead of a trolling motor, think of all the fish that has been caught using a relatively inexpensive Zebco 33 rod and reel combo. It has probably caught more fish than all those other high priced reels with their graphite composite rods. Sure, it is nice to have a few extra features to play with but really it comes down to learning your detector and how it operates in different conditions. And just like fishing, you go to a lake/pond and you know there are fish there but it really does not matter if you are using the Zebco 33 or a $500 custom rod and reel combo, both will catch fish if you know what you are doing. Happy New Year and good huntin!!

If you are a weekend detectorist then the 600 is great.
But some of us have been detecting for years and actually use the advantages of the 800.
I have several made up program settings that I have that I install int my profile before I go to certain areas and also depending on the type of Hunt situations.
But I as some here spend many hours a year detecting.
I am considering getting the 600 for a backup and water use so I can keep my 800 out of the water because I don’t need all the bells and whistles for just water use.
Also have a backup with similar operating features makes it much easier.
But again I’ve been detecting for over 45 years.

Doug

Saw some specials out there if you buy a 600 you get the smaller coil for free! Now that is a good deal!
Got 800 last spring and really like it.
But with Vanquish 540/440/340 series under $500, stiff competition multi frequency machines in price range.
Especially since you can get Vanquish 540 w 2 coils new for about $500 or Nox 600 w 2 coils new for about $700.
Look at your situation and you might save some bucks going for the Vanquish 540. I believe they're shipping now and rumors the Vanquish is available at some Dick's sporting stores.

You lose performance on the V's so tread lightly. Its not just a cheaper EQX.

I have about 15 hours on the Vanquish 340 and over 2000 hours on the Nox 600 and 800. I would take the Nox 600 over just about any VLF metal detector except for the Nox 800. It is the equal of anything from the other two current manufacturers that produce those selectable multi frequency detectors and yes I have hunted with them and own them. Even though I really like the Vanquish 340, it and the 440 and 540 are not in the same class whatsoever as the Equinox 600 or 800. We are talking about an excellent 5th or 6th grade athlete compared to a Division 1 college level athlete. To me the 540 Pro Pack is overpriced and should be around $330 or about half of what a new Nox 600 with the free 6" coil costs. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could have had a Vanquish 340 as a newbie. It is also perfect for someone moving beyond normal single frequency entry level detectors that is on a tight budget and can't afford a new or even still under warranty used Nox 600 who mostly wants to hunt parks, sports fields, tot lots, playgrounds or beaches.

Jeff

Right now the gold modes - I try to but can’t get a grip on how to use them on east coast

Tony NJ