Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is there any optional concentric coil for the scorp..

Only the two DD coils are made for it.
Garrett says older 15khz Groundhog units will not work with Scorp coils. Groundhog coils will not work with Scorp.
Because Garrett did coil connector switching in the past turning 4 pin to 5 pin Groundhogs then saying the same about
using 4 pin coils with 5 pin coil Groundhogs. But if you looked at the coil wires and connectors how they were wired, both 4 and 5 pin models
used only 4 wires. So you could switch a 5 pin connector coil to a 4 pin connector and use it on a 4 pin unit. As well as the other way for 5 pin units.
Garrett sold conversion kits to dealers way back when to convert 4 pin to 5 pin as dealers had excess stock of 4 pin coils.........

With that being said, the Scorp is a newer version of the Groundhog. If you measure coil inductance of concentric Groundhog and Scorp DD coils and compare
them and verify 4 wires are used and figure out pin wires (TX & RX) ..............................possible older Groundhog coils might just be usable. No guarantee, just a thought
that might entertaining to find out. I own a Groundhog but, not a Scorp, so I can't check this theory out.

silverskidmarks said:
Wondering if any of you know of a concentric coil that would work on the scorpion?

Garrett use to make concentric "Crossfire Gold Hunter" search coils for the Scorpion Gold Stinger. Originally, the available search coils were the stock 5"x10"DD, 3"x7"DD, 4.5" Sniper, 8.5" concentric and 12.5" concentric.

Garrett stopped making the concentrics for the Scorpion back in the mid-nineties. They just weren't that popular among nugget hunters who prefered to use DD search coils which handled higher mineralization better.

I started using the Scorpion around 1991 and when I bought mine I also purchased the 4.5" Sniper, 3"x7"DD and 12.5" concentric as optional search coils. 90% of the time while nugget hunting I would just use the stock 5"x10"DD. I would seldom use the 3"x7"DD, but I would use it sometimes in particularly rocky/brushy areas. I typically used the 4.5" Sniper in tot lots and such. I would rarely use it while nugget hunting, but sometimes did while checking cracks in bedrook for nuggets. That lil' Sniper would find some tiny nuggets. I very rarely used the 12,5" concentric. I'd use it at the beach sometimes, mostly dry sand and also relic hunting in open fields.

Those old concentrics are hard to find, but you might find one used if you're lucky.
Best of luck to ya!:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Gosh... My Garrett Scorpion is serial # 23 as I best remember. I bought it new and have kept it looking pretty good and in working order. Over the years I have had two coils replaced which also included some inside control box fix'en. I only have and only used the stock 10x5 DD over the years as I have found it the best for the magnetic "black sand" mineralization in the gold fields. If you offset the ground balance as to detect magnetic black sand mineralization this is a good trick to "follow the black sand" seeking associated placer gold areas to dry wash within metallogenetic desert areas within the North American Cordillera..

Now a question: I wonder how many earlier serial numbered (under # 23) are still out there and working? Could mine be the oldest? So check your serial numbers... and let us know if you have an earlier "Scorp." js

Sven... Gosh I did not know this. My first "Groundhog" was a non-ADS VLF/TR Coinhunter which I bought used about 1978. How many of you know the early groundhogs also would directly boot up with the Gold Mountain Boss search coils?

parrott said:
Sven... Gosh I did not know this. My first "Groundhog" was a non-ADS VLF/TR Coinhunter which I bought used about 1978. How many of you know the early groundhogs also would directly boot up with the Gold Mountain Boss search coils?

I did.........and did you know that the D-tex CK series coils fit the Groundhogs 15khz units and the SK series coils fit the Master Hunter 5khz units. Garrett techs were using the D-tex coils and got better performance from their Garretts................

Sven... I knew this... But it was supposed to be a secret and it was by accident I found out that Pieter Heijdelarr (Heydelaar) used a D-Tex coil on either(?) or the Australian A2B or the USA A3B. Sven: :clapping: You are most impressive in your knowledge. js