Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Is there test to check proper tone settings on a Golden uMax?

Whimpster

I just bought a old tone golden uMax....weather is bad frozen ground and snow....
So I have been testing my golden trying to learn the tones on different items...
I'm not sure if my tones are setup proper...I do get the four tones with the notch switch in the center and the width dial in the center, disc set at min, sen set at 10,threshold set to just a slight humm.
Some of the post I've been reading say you should loose the nickle tone with the notch switched to narrow and width dial turned CCW....mine will not completely loose the nickle tone..it still has a slight chirp at the extreme CCW?
When set to wide the zinc is completely quiet with the notch switched to wide while keeping the nickel in the notch zone and a dime as a high tone.

My question is there a set of test I can do to see if my Golden's settings are adjusted properly before I take it into the field for a test run?

Thanks, Bob

I got my "old tones" Golden back from Tesoro this fall for a threshold repair and check up so the tones should be good.

While on Narrow and no disc A nickel starts to break up around 10 o'clock on the notch width dial and is completely gone around 9.

A zinc penny does not sound off while in wide notch from any position on my Golden..

Hope this helps.

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the response, think my Golden maybe out of adjustment just a tad on the tone response... using a nickel with the width dial at 10 o'clock and the notch switch on narrow
I can turn the width control dial past 9 o'clock and still get the nickel to respond...it's almost gone at the extreme CCW end of the dial.
The setting of the wide notch switch with a zinc penny gives no response in either direction...that seems to be proper.
Guess I'm wondering if the internal sound pot need a tweak....

Thanks again this gives me a baseline to start from...

Cheers, Bob HH

Bryan V said:
I got my "old tones" Golden back from Tesoro this fall for a threshold repair and check up so the tones should be good.

While on Narrow and no disc A nickel starts to break up around 10 o'clock on the notch width dial and is completely gone around 9.

A zinc penny does not sound off while in wide notch from any position on my Golden..

Hope this helps.

Bryan